After failing to appear for trial, Darnell Parks, 34, Elkhart, was convicted Monday of child molesting.
A victim testified that Parks asked to engage in sexual intercourse in July 2013. Parks was arrested in October and posted bond in November.
The state was able to proceed with the case after Parks failed to appear for his trial.
A warrant has been issued for his arrest.
Parks faces a sentence of 6 months to 3 years. Additionally, because Parks was on probation for dealing cocaine at the time of his offense, he faces an additional 8 years in prison.
Sentencing in Elkhart County Circuit Court Judge Terry Shewmaker's court room is April 23.
• A Bristol woman was injured in two-vehicle crash Sunday at 1:46 p.m. at the intersection of Third Street and Lincoln Avenue, Goshen.
According to Goshen police, a 2005 Cadillac, driven by Cesar Rodriguez, of Elkhart, turned left from Third Street onto Lincoln Avenue when it collided with a southbound Pontiac Grand Am driven by Jaylynn Stutsman, of Bristol.
Stutsman was taken to IU Health Goshen Hospital for treatment of neck pain.
Rodriguez was cited for failure to yield, according to police.
• A Ligonier man was injured in a crash in LaGrange County Monday at 6:54 a.m.
According to LaGrange County police, a 1994 Honda Civic was eastbound on U.S. 20 at Ind. 5 when a westbound Chevrolet truck pulling a trailer turned in front of the Civic.
The driver of the truck, identified by police as Frank McDonald, 57 of Ligonier, was transported to Parkview LaGrange Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
• Jose Cervantez, Bristol, reported to Elkhart County police that someone driving a white vehicle collided with his 2011 Chevrolet Malibur while it was parked at 51650 C.R. 133, Bristol sometime early Sunday. The driver left the scene without reporting the crash.
• Mark Wakeman, South Bend, reported to Goshen police Monday that he was involved in a collision at 1:35 p.m. at the intersection of Plymouth Avenue and 15th Street and the driver of the other vehicle left the scene.
• Goshen police went to Pak-a-Sak, 112 W. Pike Street at 12:50 a.m. Monday in reference to a theft.
• John McCallister, 27, told Elkhart County police Saturday that his Xbox, two controllers, a laptop, a wireless mouse, Surround Sound and two rechargable batteries were stolen from his unlocked storage unit at 13801 C.R. 42, Millersburg sometime between 3 p.m. on March 20 and Saturday at 6:41 p.m.
• Shawn Waffle, 57, told Elkhart County police Sunday that between Thursday at 3:22 p.m. and Friday at noon, someone stole a spotlight, flashlight and $20 in change from his vehicle at 59772 C.R. 19, Goshen.
• Employees at Pay-n-Pak, located at 809 E. Vistula St., Bristol, told Bristol police March 20 about a shoplifting incident on March 13.
• Victor Pedroza reported to Elkhart County police that someone entered his home at 1:17 a.m. Monday and took his daughter’s purse.
• Larry Evans Sr., Goshen, Jerel Wenger, Bristol and Dale Manges, New Paris, all recently reported to Elkhart County Police that someone used their personal information without his permission to file tax returns.
• Elaine Birkey, reported to Elkhart County police Monday that someone broke a window on her vehicle while it was parked at 59545 Ridgewood Drive, Goshen, and stole her purse and a GPS unit.
• An employee of Walters Used Car and Truck Superstore, 2600 Elkhart Road, Goshen, reported a person recently used a forged cashiers check to purchase a 2009 Dodge Charger.
• Stephen Heeter, Goshen, reported to Goshen police Friday that someone used his Interra debit card without his permission.
• Sylvia Pedroza, Goshen, reported her daughter’s school computer was stolen from her vehicle Saturday while the vehicle was parked at 2214 Edward Drive, Goshen.
• Ashley Scarlett, Elkhart, reported to Goshen police Tuesday that she was involved in a collision on Dierdorff Road, north of Regent Street at 4:01 a.m. and the other driver left the scene.
• Bristol police reported they were called to U.S. Cargo, 1033 Commerce Drive at 6:40 a.m. Monday. Tires from the company’s Plant 1 were reported stolen.
• A juvenile was arrested by Goshen police Sunday at 6:45 p.m. on a charge of leaving home without permission of a guardian at 224 Manchester Court, Goshen. The juvenile was reported missing at 2 p.m. Sunday.
Vandalism/criminal mischief reports
• Anthony Glassman told Bristol police Wednesday that his residence at 1000 Mallard St., Bristol had been vandalized.
• Kimberly Cammenga, 15695 C.R. 8, Bristol, reported to Elkhart County police March 22 that someone had left a windmill in her yard.
• Daniel Scalise, 52, of 7195 N. 1150 West, Shipshewana, was arrested by Elkhart County police on a charge of operating a vehicle while intoxicated Saturday at 1:45 a.m. on Ind. 120 near Bay Ridge Drive, Bristol. Scalise was taken to Elkhart County jail.
• Kathleen Burkett, 29, of 152 Madison Street, Apt. B, Nappanee, was arrested by Elkhart County police on charges of operating a vehicle while intoxicated and neglect of a dependent Sunday at 3:31 a.m. on C.R. 38 near C.R. 21 in Goshen. She was taken to the Elkhart County jail.
• Trent McDowell, 48 of 5085 N. 290 West, Howe, was arrested by LaGrange County police on a charge of operating a vehicle while intoxicated Sunday at 4:42 a.m. on Ind. 120 near Ind. 9. He was taken to LaGrange County jail.
• Myron Bontrager, 18, of Millersburg, Michael Fry, 18, of Topeka, Steven Yoder, 18, of Middlebury and David Miller, 18, of Millersburg, were arrested by Elkhart County police on charges of illegal consumption of alcohol by a minor Friday at 10:32 p.m. at the intersection of U.S. 20 and C.R. 17. Four juveniles were also arrested and released to their parents, police said. Chris Bontrager, 23, of Sturgis, Mich. was cited and released on a charge of contributing to the delinquency of minor.
• Raphael Blackwell, 25, was charged with possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia by Elkhart County police Monday at 12 a.m. on C.R. 8 near C.R. 35. He was cited and released.
• Angela Medina, 36, 221 S. 10th St., Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police at 7:33 p.m. Monday on charges of possession of a schedule 2 narcotic drug and driving while her license was suspended. She was taken to the Elkhart County Jail.
• Shawn Earp, 24, 55700 C.R. 19, Bristol, was arrested on charges of possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia after being stopped by Goshen on a traffic infraction at Main and Madison streets at 11:30 p.m. Monday. Earp was cited and released.