Twenty-one of 41 people under the age of 21 were allegedly found drinking at a party in the 29000 block of C.R. 52 near Nappanee and were cited and released on charges of illegal consumption of alcohol beverages by Elkhart County Sheriff’s Office deputies at 11:58 p.m. Saturday.
The man police say hosted the party, Mervin Dale Miller, 25, was incarcerated at the Elkhart County Jail on a charge of contributing to the delinquency of a minor and was additionally cited for a noise ordinance violation.
The 20 youth who were younger than 18 were released to their parents. The remaining 18- to 20-year-olds ticketed included: David D. Yoder, 20, Middlebury; Lyndon D. Byler, 20, Goshen; Brian Borkholder, 19, Bremen; Marion J. Otto, 19, Arcola, Illinois; Aaron J. Miller, 19, Nappanee; Erica D. Fry, 19, Shipshewana; Sarahann A. Schrock, 19, Goshen; Suzanna R. Borkholder, 19, Wakarusa; Dorcas R. Plank, 19, Bremen; Eric A. Yoder, 18, Nappanee; Lamar J. Slabaugh, 18, Nappanee; Thomas A. Borkholder, 18, Bremen; Deandre Hochstetler, 18, Bremen; Toby Detweiler, 18, Shipshewana; Freeman Yoder Jr., 18, Ligonier; Lyndon J. Bontrager, 18, Nappanee; Eric D. Hochstetler, 18, Nappanee; Dora S. Slabaugh, 18, Etna Green; Jeremy D. Yoder, 18, Middlebury; Isaac R. Miller, 18, Middlebury; and Matthew J. Chupp, 18, Nappanee.
Two minors, ages 16 and 17, were transported by a Nappanee ambulance to Goshen Hospital for treatment due to consuming excessive alcohol, police said. Officers and EMS personnel removed multiple people, who were passed out, from cold vehicles.
HORSES, DOGS SEIZED
Several horses and dogs were seized by the Elkhart County Humane Society at 16815 U.S. 6, Syracuse, at 7 p.m. Friday after officials determined they were being neglected.
The property owner, Desmond Stewart, 32, was cited and release for neglect of vertebrate animals, Elkhart County deputies reported.
• Lorenzo D. Wilson, 23, 250 W. Garfield St., Elkhart, was arrested by Elkhart County deputies and jailed on charges of battery on law enforcement, resisting law enforcement causing injury, operating a vehicle while intoxicated, disorderly conduct, reckless driving and criminal mischief.
According to police, Wilson was stopped for multiple traffic violations at 2:46 a.m. Sunday in the area of C.R. 115 and Jeri Ann Drive. Wilson was reportedly intoxicated. Police said he kicked a sheriff’s deputy, resisted law enforcement and continued to make an unreasonable amount of noise after being asked to stop. Wilson also reportedly kicked out a window of a patrol vehicle. He was taken to the Elkhart County Jail.
• Teresa Rogers, 47, 402 S. Wheatland Drive, Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police at 11:58 p.m. Sunday on a charge of operating a vehicle while intoxicated. She was stopped near Lincoln and Indiana avenues for a driving infraction and was allegedly found to be intoxicated. She was taken to the Elkhart County Jail.
• Joel Delgado-Ruiz, 18, 44 Winchester Trail, Goshen, was arrested by Elkhart County deputies at 9:10 a.m. Friday on charges of never receiving a license, driving while suspended-prior and having no insurance-prior. According to police, Delgado-Ruiz drove by an officer who had arrested him previously for the same charges and then pulled into a private driveway at Hively Avenue and Prairie Street in Elkhart. He then reportedly fled from his vehicle. Police said he was located hiding nearby and was arrested. Delgado-Ruiz was taken to the Elkhart County Jail.
• Joshua Wheeler, 27, 22709 Acorn Lane, Elkhart, was arrested by Elkhart County deputies at 1:43 a.m. Saturday on a charge of driving under the influence. According to sheriff’s officers, Wheeler was stopped at C.R. 19 and C.R. 20 for traffic infractions. He allegedly had a breath alcohol concentration of .206 and was taken to the Elkhart County Jail.
• Ernie Lamont Hicks, 47, 1702 Catalpa St., South Bend, was arrested by Elkhart County deputies at 3:16 a.m. Saturday on charges of being a habitual traffic violator and possession of marijuana. Hicks was stopped at C.R.s 6 and 10 for a traffic violation. He was taken to the Elkhart County Jail.
• Daniel Peterson, 26, 1814 Moyer Ave., Elkhart, was arrested by Elkhart County deputies at 1:46 a.m. Sunday on a charge of driving under the influence. Peterson was stopped at C.R.s 7 and 4 for traffic violations. He allegedly had a breath alcohol concentration of .085 and was taken to the Elkhart County Jail.
• Ivan Mendez-Ramirez, 27, 237 Brookside Manor, Goshen, was arrested by Elkhart County deputies at 4:30 a.m. Sunday on a charge of driving under the influence. According to police, Mendez-Ramirez was stopped at C.R. 28 and C.R. 15 for traffic violations and was intoxicated. He was taken to the Elkhart County Jail.
THEFTS AND BURGLARIES
• Cheryl Eash, Goshen, reported to Goshen police her medication was stolen at midnight Wednesday from 504 S. Fifth St., Goshen.
• Brad Kiser reported to Elkhart County deputies that between 6 p.m. Wednesday and 6 a.m. Thursday someone stole $1,450 worth of tools from his unlocked truck while it was parked at his property at 28864 Kehres St., Elkhart.
• Eric Ortiz reported to Elkhart County deputies that his garage door opener was stolen from his unlocked vehicle while it was parked at 53832 Juanita Drive, Elkhart, between 10:30 p.m. Friday and 9:30 a.m. Saturday.
• Rebecca Bontreger reported to Elkhart County deputies that sometime between 5 p.m. Friday and 10:30 a.m. Saturday, someone stole keys from several vehicles at Middlebury Produce, 10019 C.R. 16, Middlebury.
• Matthew Loucks, 23395 Broadwood Drive, Elkhart, reported to Elkhart County deputies that between 8 p.m. Friday and 3:45 p.m. Saturday someone entered his vehicle while parked on his property and stole his wallet, Social Security card and birth certificate.
• Robert Sanders reported to Elkhart County deputies that a business at 56959 Elk Park Drive, Elkhart, was burglarized at 3:37 a.m. Saturday. The culprit entered through a garage door window and stole a truck.
• William Creedon reported to Elkhart County deputies that someone broke into his locked travel trailer while it was parked at 21315 Buckingham Road, Elkhart, between 2 and 3 p.m. Saturday. The thief stole a 36-inch TV, the stove and a microwave oven, police reported.
• A 22-year-old Elkhart woman reported to Goshen police she was battered and choked by an ex-boyfriend at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday at a home at Brookside Manor in Goshen. She suffered pain and a minor injury to her eye that did not require medical attention, police reported.
• A 29-year-old Bristol woman reported to Elkhart County deputies she was battered by a known person at about 9 a.m. Sunday at her home in the 53000 block of C.R. 27.
• Amanda Slone, 570 Brookside Manor Goshen, reported to Goshen police her 12-year-old daughter was bitten by the family dog. The girl received a puncture wound above the left eye, police said.
• Carter Rohn, 1023 S. Seventh St., Goshen, reported to Goshen police that his home was burglarized at 3 p.m. Sunday. Police said nothing was determined stolen, but there was damage to the home.
• Tyler Cardin, , 22464 C.R. 38, Goshen, reported to Elkhart County deputies that someone trespassed on his property at 10:30 p.m. Dec. 21.
• A 52-year-old Elkhart County man reported to Elkhart County deputies that while at 23742 Broadway Blvd., a person fired several rounds of a .40-caliber handgun from inside a moving vehicle that was headed north on C.R. 13, north of Broadway Boulevard at 1:37 a.m. Sunday. No injuries were reported.