Statements from Indiana's elected officials in the hours after a deadly mass shooting in Plainfield illuminated a partisan schism. Read more
GOSHEN — Spring’s color palette is popping. Goshen News photojournalist Joseph Weiser captured some of the unfurling colors this past week. Images were captured at the following locations: Krider “World’s Fair” Garden in Middlebury, DeFries Gardens in New Paris, along South Main Street in Go…
A natural phenomenon 17 years in the making will soon appear in Indiana.
Vacancies still open at COVID clinic
ELKHART — Concord Township Fire Department recently welcomed a new addition to its fleet.
ELKHART — Coming full circle.
GOSHEN — One of the rarest sights in high school golf played out Saturday at the Goshen Invitational.
FORT WAYNE — The West Noble baseball team got to experience a taste of what baseball’s like at the professional level.
NAPPANEE — Fairfield and NorthWood came into Friday’s game on opposite sides of the spectrum.
ELKHART — Gabriella Umbower must enjoy the comeback role.
Here’s a look at the prep scores from Friday, April 16, 2021.
President Joe Biden has announced executive actions to combat gun violence. Biden directed the Justice Department to issue a proposed rule to stop the proliferation of homemade guns; clarify when a stabilizing brace turns a pistol into a short-barreled rifle, such as used by the gunman in the recent Boulder, Colo. shootings; publish model red flag legislation for states to temporarily bar those who present a danger to others and themselves from having a gun; and the invest in community violence intervention programs. What do you think:
- Positive cases — 27,197, up 83
- Cases per 100,000 population — 13,180.6
- Deaths — 431, up 0
- Deaths per 100,000 population — 208.9
- Unique individuals tested — 106,370, up 252
- Total tests — 258,375, up 949
- 7-day positivity rate, all — 10.4%
- 7-day unique positivity rate — 20.2%
- Cumulative unique positivity rate — 25.6%
- Cumulative all — 12.8%
- 1st vaccine dose given — 47,518
- 2nd vaccine dose given — 33,847
- Single-dose vaccine — 2,996
- Fully vaccinated — 36,843
Listen to the latest Goshen News podcast.
Elkhart County Health Officer Dr. Bethany Wait talks with host Sheila Selman about Gov. Eric Holcomb's decision to lift COVID restrictions and leaving restrictions to counties; how she is weighing what to do in Elkhart County; and how necessary vaccines are in order to get back to a semblance of normalcy.
Host Patrick McGuire, curator of education for the Elkhart County Historical Museum, talks about the colorful and somewhat notorious life of Emma Barrett Molloy, Elkhart County's first female newspaper editor.
Dr. Bethany Wait talks about the latest in vaccines.
Listen to the latest Goshen News Sports podcast.
On this week's podcast, Austin Hough and Evan Lepak talk about Baylor winning the men's basketball national title, their favorite sports months, the local sports scene and more.
On this week's podcast, Austin Hough and Evan Lepak discuss the start of the spring sports season, including multiple no-hitters thrown by local pitchers. The Goshen College men's volleyball team, NCAA Tournament and Notre Dame athletics are also covered.
On this week's podcast, Austin Hough and Evan Lepak break down what's left of their NCAA Tournament brackets. They also chat about the local sports news of the past week.
This Week's Circulars
SHIPSHEWANA [mdash] Reneè Riemland Myers McBain, 67, Shipshewana, died at 8:30 a.m. Thursday, April 15, 2021, at her residence following an 11-year battle with cancer. The family will hold services at a later date. Online condolences may be offered at millerstewartfuneralhome.com.
MIDDLEBURY [mdash] Vernon J. Mullet, 83, of Middlebury, died Friday, April 16, 2021, at Goshen Health Hospital. The family will hold a graveside service at 2 p.m. Sunday, April 18, at Miller Cemetery, Goshen. Miller-Stewart Funeral Home, Middlebury, is handling the arrangements.
- PREP ATHLETICS: Darlene Mathew retiring after 46 years at Westview
- JEFF BURBRINK: Pear trees escaping from the landscape
- PREP BOYS BASKETBALL: Hinen named new Fairfield head coach
- POLICE NEWS: Crash claims woman's life in Kosciusko County
- Milford man arrested after chase from Goshen
- Longtime Nappanee EMS chief retires
- POLICE NEWS: Police make arrests
- PREP SOFTBALL: Ramirez sisters lead Goshen past Bethany Christian
- POLICE NEWS: Traffic stop leads to one arrest
- POLICE NEWS: Woman's jeans stolen from property