Goshen News, Goshen, IN

State News

January 14, 2014

Sentence on hold for ex-Indiana elections chief

NOBLESVILLE, Ind. (AP) — An attorney for former Indiana Secretary of State Charlie White says he won't have to serve his one-year home detention sentence while he appeals his voter fraud conviction.

Defense attorney Andrea Ciobanu says a Hamilton County judge has granted a motion to put on hold the sentence stemming from the February 2012 convictions that forced White from office.

Ciobanu tells The Indianapolis Star (http://indy.st/1dsYJui ) that she's waiting on trial transcripts before filing arguments with the state appeals court. White had been scheduled to start serving home detention last week.

The Republican was convicted of using his ex-wife's home in Fishers as his voting address in 2010 while serving on the Indianapolis suburb's town council and running for secretary of state.

White maintains his previous defense lawyer provided incompetent counsel.

___

Information from: The Indianapolis Star, http://www.indystar.com

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

1
Text Only
State News
Parade
Magazine

Click HERE to read all your Parade favorites including Hollywood Wire, Celebrity interviews and photo galleries, Food recipes and cooking tips, Games and lots more.
AP Video
Changes Coming to No-Fly List Raw: IDF Footage Said to Show Airstrikes Police: Ferguson More Peaceful Raw: Aftermath of Airstrike in Gaza Raw: Thousands March on Pakistani Parliament Raw: World's Oldest Man Lives in Japan Fire Crews Tame Yosemite Fire Raw: Police Weapon Drawn Near Protesters, Media Raw: Deadly Landslides in Japan Raw: Explosions in Gaza As Airstrikes Resume Arrests Witnessed in Ferguson Charter Schools Alter Post-Katrina Landscape Texas Gov. Perry: Indictment 'a Political Act' US Officials: Video Shows American's Beheading Video Shows Ferguson Cop Months Before Shooting Water Bottles Recalled for Safety Researcher Testing On-Field Concussion Scanners
Poll

Three Goshen elementary schools — Chandler, Chamberlain and West Goshen — are providing free meals to all students during the school year as part of the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Community Eligibility Provision of the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010. Nearly 80 percent of students at Chandler, 89 percent of students at Chamberlain and 78 percent of students at West Goshen already qualify for free or reduced-price lunches based on their family income. How do you feel about the new lunch program?

I think it’s a good idea to feed all the students free of charge
I think those who can afford it should pay for their school meals
I think all students should be required to pay for their school meals
     View Results