GOSHEN — Marnetta Yake Brilhart was born on July 4, 1921, in the third-floor apartment of the first Publishing House building on High Street in Scottdale, Pa., the oldest child of Clayton F. and Martha Eby Yake. She died Tuesday.
She was baptized in 1934 and was active throughout her life in the Scottdale Mennonite Church, where on Jan. 15, 1949, she married Earle R. Brilhart.
Her schooling included Scottdale High School, graduating in 1939. She attended Eastern Mennonite School in Virginia for two years, and spent a year at Goshen College before attending nursing school at the Mennonite Hospital School of Nursing in La Junta, Colo.
Returning to Scottdale in 1946, her life there included 15 years of helping with the Red Cross bloodmobile, eight years as president of the church sewing circle and many years of helping her husband in the care of members of his family and working along side him at the family hardware store.
She and Earle moved to Greencroft Retirement Community in Goshen in 2004, reconnecting with many Scottdale friends who live there and spending much time with Marnetta’s sister, Ethel, and her family.
She was preceded in death by her husband, Earle, who died in 2010.
She is survived by their children, Theodore “Ted” Brilhart of Goshen, Kathleen (Bruce Repko) of Lincoln, Mass., and Dan (Terri Enns) of Columbus, Ohio; her siblings, Ethel (Ed) Metzler, Lois Kenagy, Clayton P. Yake, Stanley (Barbara) Yake and Byron (Myrtis) Yake; a closely-bonded niece, Carole R. Brilhart; Bonnie and James Brilhart, who have been extended family for many years; and many other beloved nieces and nephews.
Marnetta donated her body to the Indiana University School of Medicine. Her remains will be buried in the family plot in Scottdale.
A memorial service will take place Feb. 16 at 1:30 p.m. in the Greencroft Meeting House, 1904 S. 15th St., (Health Care north entrance), in Goshen.
In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Greencroft Foundation Resident Assistance Fund, Greencroft, P.O. Box 819, Goshen, IN 46526, or the Mutual Aid Fund at the Scottdale Mennonite Church, 801 Market St., Scottdale, PA 15683.