Willis Gabriel Horst, 74, died at home Sept. 1.
He was born July 4, 1939, to Susie I. (Good) and Clarence K. Horst near Seville, Ohio.
On July 4, 1964, Willis married Byrdalene Wyse of Archbold, Ohio. She survives, along with their son, Rene (and Marlene Harder Horst, Matias, Tali) of Boone, N.C.; and daughters, Carmen (and Eric Kurtz, Elisa, Rebeca) of Goshen, Emily (and Malcolm Sedaca, Khalil) of Cordoba, Argentina, and Cristina (and Lucas Robert, Francisco, Serafin) of Cordoba, Argentina.
Also surviving are his siblings, Raymond G. Horst (Kathryn Ressler) of Lewisburg, Tenn., Melvin G. Horst (Eleanor Burckhart) of Columbiana, Ohio, Arthur G. Horst (Mary Horst) of Kensington, Ohio, Paul G. Horst (Edith Good) of Hermon, Ky., Emma Elizabeth (Glen Eberly) of Dalton, Ohio, Clarence Gene Horst (Edith Steiner) of Mousie, Ky., and Margaret Susanna (Curtis Yoder) of Puntarenas, Costa Rica.
He was preceded in death by his parents and sister-in-law, Kathryn.
Willis graduated from Goshen College before teaching on the Navajo Reservation in New Mexico and Arizona. After studying at Associated Mennonite Biblical Seminary, he served with Mennonite Mission Network from 1971 to 2010, in accompaniment with indigenous churches in the Chaco region of northern Argentina, primarily the Iglesia Evangelica Unida.
Willis developed the Bible Circle, a conversational format that encourages indigenous people to explore their spirituality and the values of Jesus within their own culture. In his vision, the missionary is an invited guest who listens, discerns and shares as an equal rather than impose his or her views.
During their last five years in the Chaco, Willis and Byrdalene worked with the Argentine Bible Society and Pilaga readers to record the Gospels and Acts in their language, to make scriptures available to non-readers.
Willis delighted in the natural world and cared passionately for Creation. He enjoyed hiking and birding and gave hundreds of tree saplings as gifts among the indigenous congregations he visited.
Memorial services will take place at 2 p.m. Saturday at Assembly Mennonite Church, Goshen, and at Iglesia Anabautista Menonita, Floresta, Buenos Aires, Argentina on Nov. 2.
Memorial contributions may be made to Mennonite Mission Network.
July 4, 1939-Sept. 1, 2013
Willis Gabriel Horst, 74, died at home Sept. 1.
- Milan 'Mile' Vukosavljevic ELKHART — Milan “Mile” Vukosavljevic, 92, passed away peacefully Saturday evening in his home surrounded by family. Milan was born Sept. 8, 1921 in Drljace, Yugoslavia, to Dusan and Ana (Saponja) Vukosavljevic. He married Renate Simmat of Solingen, G
- Ruth E. Kalb PAINESVILLE, Ohio — Ruth E. Kalb, 97, formerly of Bucyrus, passed away Wednesday at Altercare of Mentor. Born July 3, 1917 in Akron, Ohio, she was the first of four children born to Esta and Albert Taylor. She was married to Marvin Kalb in 1941. In h
- Robert Ellsworth Goss ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. — Robert E. Goss, 71, died July 24 at his home in St. Augustine. He succumbed to chronic respiratory illness. He was born Nov. 8, 1942, in Goshen, Ind., to Ellsworth C. and Myrtle (Summer) Goss. His wife, Chris Klein-Goss, survive
- Arlene D. Scheidler ELKHART — Arlene D. Scheidler, 95, died Wednesday at Eastlake Nursing and Rehabilitation Center. She married Albert H. Glenn in 1938; he died in 1960. In 1965, she married Earl Scheidler, who died in 1979. She is survived by a daughter, Sueann (Richa
- Arrangements pending for Aug. 1, 2014 These arrangements and services appeared in the Aug. 1, 2014 edition of The Goshen News.
- John J. Fisher GOSHEN — John J. Fisher died suddenly Monday morning at his home at Waterford Crossing. He was 88 years old. He was born June 28, 1926 in Bloomsburg, Pa., to John J. Fisher Sr. and Alma Warye Fisher. His father was a faculty member at Bloomsburg Stat
- Patricia P. O'Reilly GOSHEN — Patricia P. O’Reilly, 87, died Tuesday at Greencroft Goshen Health Care. She was born Dec. 12, 1926 in London, England, to Ralph C. Pond and Mary C. (Ashton) Pond. She and her mother immigrated to the United States after the death of her fat
- Orpha S. Troyer GOSHEN — Orpha S. Troyer, 86, formerly of Middlebury, died at 2:45 p.m. Tuesday at her residence. She was born Jan. 16, 1928 in Elkhart County, to Samuel and Lizzie (Yoder) Thomas. On Aug. 17, 1947, she married Lester C. Troyer in Elkhart County. He
- Lloyd Paul Frantz GOSHEN — Lloyd Paul Frantz, 89, died 11:15 a.m. Tuesday at Miller’s Merry Manor in Wakarusa. He was born May 17, 1925 in Lehighton, Pa., to Morgan and Mary S. (Stimmel) Frantz. He married Helen (Rohrer) Frantz Aug. 8, 1946, at the Bethel Missionary C
- Esther K. Hess GOSHEN — Esther K. Hess, 95, died Tuesday afternoon at IU Health Goshen Hospital. She was born Feb. 10, 1919, in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, to Titus L. and Priscilla (Shantz) Kolb. On March 1, 1943, she married Charles V. Hess in Goshen. He died Dec
- More Obituaries Headlines