By GREG KEIM email@example.com
---- — GOSHEN — Ferris State University senior Sarah DeShone has accomplished something no one else has ever done in the history of women’s basketball at the school.
The Jimtown High School graduate has been named to the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) Division II Honorable Mention All-America Team for the third consecutive year.
No former FSU women’s basketball player has ever received All-American accolades more than once.
DeShone was also a first team selection on the All-Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference team.
Her final statistics for the Bulldogs rank her second in 3-point field goal percentage (.397), third in made treys (166), sixth in free throws made (269), sixth in assists (379), eighth in scoring (1,419) and 11th in steals (154).
Men’s Track and Field
• Bethel College sophomore Alex Soptich (Elkhart Memorial) placed first in discus (46.79 meters), fourth in shot put (13.28) and sixth in hammer (41.44) as the Pilots finished second at the Anderson Invitational. Freshman Brett Baumgartner (Fairfield) was second in the 200 (22.53), freshman Michael Presnell (Northridge) second in the 400 hurdles (59.30), junior Chase Pinion (Fairfield) third in pole vault (4.12 meters) and sixth in javelin (40.28), freshman Joel Hartman third in the 800 (2:00.66), freshman Kyle Ostrander (Fairfield) third in hammer (42.73 meters), fifth in shot put (13.90) and sixth in discus (41.75); junior Tanner Foust (Fairfield) fourth in the 100 (11.52) and fifth in the 200 (23.32) and freshman Albert Gongwer (NorthWood) sixth pole vault (3.82 meters).
• Senior Andrew Albert (Northridge) finished first in the 1,500 meters (4:202.92) and freshman Nathan Raber (Westview) won the pole vault (4.42 meters) for the Indiana Wesleyan Wildcats in the Anderson Invitational.
Women’s Track and Field
• Vanderbilt sophomore Skyler Carpenter (Westview) finished first in her section of the 400 hurdles in a personal best time of 58.98 at the Mt. SAC Relays in Walnut, California.
• Sophomore Jeslyn Zimmerly (Westview) won the pole vault (3.60 meters) and junior Cinnamon Green (Jimtown) took the shot put (13.04) and hammer (37.3) for Bethel as the Pilots finished third in the team standing at the Anderson Invitational. Sophomore Melissa DuBois (Concord) hit an NAIA national championship qualifying standard in long jump with an effort of 5.53 meters.
• Ball State University sophomore Becca Kropf (Fairfield) finished 18th in the 400 hurdles (1:04.25) at the Jesse Owens Track Classic at Ohio State University.
• Ohio State University freshman Tanner Tully (Elkhart Central) allowed seven hits and an earned run over seven innings as the Buckeyes defeated Murray State 3-1. He struck out four and walked none.
“We recharged our batteries yesterday, cleaned our slate and I like how the guys played tonight,” Ohio State head coach Greg Beals said in an article on the school’s Web site. “When you’re scuffling a little bit, you need your starter to come out and do what Tanner Tully did tonight. He really set the tempo by throwing strikes and forcing them to do something offensively.”
Tully is 4-2 this season with a 2.04 earned run average. He has struck out 33 and walked four in 57 1/3 innings.
• The Saint Francis Cougars lost to Taylor 13-2 and 11-8 in a Crossroads league doubleheader. Senior David Yoder (Concord) singled in the sixth inning of the opener to break up a no-hit bid..
• The Anderson Ravens dropped an 8-1 decision to the Trine University Thunder. Freshman Dillon Lockwood (Fairfield) and freshman Andrew Gingerich (Northridge) provided the lone point for Anderson with an 8-3 win at No. 2 doubles. Anderson was a 6-3 winner over Manchester in Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference action. Lockwood posted a 6-3, 6-1 victory at No. 3 singles and Gingerich a 6-2, 6-2 triumph at No. 5 singles. The pair dropped an 8-4 decision at No. 2 doubles.
•Junior Natalie Newell (Goshen) was the winning pitcher as the Bethel Pilots topped the Huntington Foresters, 5-1, in the second game of a Crossroads League twin bill. Newell allowed four hits and an earned run in the complete game. She struck out seven and walked three in the complete game. Newell, also took the loss in the 3-1 opener. She pitched one inning, giving up two hits and two earned runs. Her record on the season is 13-4.
• Western Michigan sophomore Caity Pixley (Northridge) slapped a base hit for the Broncos in a 4-0 Mid-American Conference win over Central Michigan.
• The Bowling Green Falcons dropped an 8-0 decision to Kent State in Mid-American Conference action. Freshman Madison Schrock (Northridge) had one of the two hits by the Falcons. Freshman Haley Schrock (Northridge) was hit by a pitch.
• Senior Callie Selner (Elkhart Memorial) was the winning hurler as the Saint Mary’s Belles edged Adrian, 3-2, on a suicide squeeze in the bottom of the seventh inning. Selner pitched a complete game, striking out three and giving up two earned runs.
• Indiana Wesleyan senior Taylor Goshert (Wawasee) playing as an individual tied for 16th place with an 80-90—170 at the IWU Spring Invitational at Arbor Trace Golf Club near Marion.
Follow Greg Keim on twitter @gkeim_TGN