Goshen News, Goshen, IN

October 5, 2013

PREP FOOTBALL: Fairfield rolls in NECC tilt


BENTON — The Fairfield Falcons took on the Lakeland Lakers at home Friday night.  The Falcons took the night, beating the Lakers 49-10.

“Our staff did a great job at preparing the team this season and we showed that tonight,” said Fairfield’s Head Coach Bob Miller.

The Lakeland Lakers began the 7 p.m. kickoff with a 20 yard punt into the Falcon end zone. The Falcons advanced the ball with the help of a strong carry and complete pass to the Fairfield 25 yard line by Cameron Kitson.

The first points on the board were put up by the Falcons’ Garrett Cole and with the extra point good, Fairfield raised the score to 7-0 with 8:12 to go in the first quarter.

Fairfield’s Kyle Mast carried the ball for 24 yards on a blitz play with 5:35 to go in the first quarter, advancing the ball to the Lakers 23 yard line.

Kitson continued the run for the Falcons, carrying the ball in for their second touchdown of the night and bringing the score to 14-0 over the Lakers. The Lakers began to see some action as Joel Miller carried the ball to the Falcon 25 yard line, but were never able to run in for a touchdown off the play.

The Lakers got their break in the second quarter when Miller intercepted a pass intended for the Falcons’ Garrett Cole at the 30 yard line but finish the attempt with a goal kick to put their first 3 points on the board.

“I’m so proud of our defense. They made all the calls themselves on the field and ran the ball well all night,” said Miller.

Fairfield continued to run the ball Forrest Glogouski carried it in for a 54-yard touchdown and again with another by Kitson, pushing the Falcons to a 28-3 lead over the Lakers.

The Lakers got their first touchdown of the game with 23 seconds to go in the half Kyle Casper carrying the ball in to bring the score at the half to 28-10.

The second half opened up with a Falcon punt to the 30 yard line and then later carried in for another touchdown by Lucas Miller, bringing the score to 35-10 with the extra point a success. The Falcons brought the crowd to their feet to end the third quarter on a 73 yard touchdown carry by Glogouski, bringing Fairfield to a 42-10 lead over the Lakers.

To start the fourth quarter Fairfield’s Kitson ran the ball in for yet another Falcon touchdown, bringing the score after the successful extra point to 49-10 over the Lakers. This ended the night on a positive note for the Falcons with the final score at 49-10.

“A loss is a loss unless you learn something from it. We’ll come back next week and fix what we didn’t do here,” said Lakeland’s Head Coach Keith Thompson.

Next week the Falcons travel to Churubusco for a 7 p.m. kickoff while the Lakers travel to Fort Wayne Concordia Lutheran for a 7 p.m. kickoff.