By GREG KEIM firstname.lastname@example.org
---- — GOSHEN — Sophomore Femi Hollinger-Janzen is part of a championship team as the Indiana University men’s soccer team won the Big Ten tournament title with a 1-0 win over Michigan State.
The Bethany Christian High School graduate tried to score for the Hoosiers on a header after a crossing pass from senior Harrison Peters (Zionsville) but the MSU goalie stopped the attempt.
Indiana (8-11-2) earns the Big Ten’s automatic bid for the NCAA National Tournament. The 48-team field will be announced today.
The Hoosiers are the defending national champion, winning their eight title a year ago by defeating Georgetown 1-0.
It’s IU’s 12th big Ten tourney title and first since 2006.
Hollinger-Janzen has scored five goals this season. He has played in 21 matches (13 starts).
• Sophomore Akyah Taylor (Elkhart Memorial) netted 18 points for the Saint Francis Cougars in an 85-79 victory over Cornerstone University.
Taylor poured in 24 points in a 97-61 win over St. Francis (Illinois). She played last season at Michigan State before transferring to Saint Francis.
• Freshman KiLee Knafel (Wawasee) had two points, five rebounds and two steals and senior Lauren Adams (Northridge) a rebound, an assist and a steal for the IUSB Titans in a 54-51 win over Rose-Hulman at Terre Haute.
• Senior Taylor Goshert (Wawasee) tossed in a season-high 20 points and junior Emma Stahl (Jimtown) had 11 points and six assists as the Indiana Wesleyan Wildcats were 80-45 winner over Purdue Calumet.
• Freshman Franko House (Concord) netted seven points to go with eight rebounds and an assist in 20 minutes of playing time for the Ball State Cardinals in a 73-53 win over Taylor.
• Sophomore Riley Stichter (Wawasee) tallied two points, a rebound and two blocks; sophomore Joe Godfread (Elkhart Central) four points, six rebounds and an assist and senior Shane Cook (Jimtown) an assists as the IUSB Titans dropped a 111-63 decision at Bethel College in Mishawaka.
• Sophomore Jakyah Qaiyim (NorthWood) grabbed four rebounds for Ancilla College in an 83-63 loss to Olney Central College.
• Junior Anthony Yoder (Concord) caught a 27-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Christian Chase as the Trine Trojans were 47-41 winners over Olivet College. Yoder had four catches for 69 yards. Senior Tony Miranda (NorthWood) had three assisted tackles and senior Tyler Keck (Elkhart Memorial) kicked four PATs.
• Senior Zach Corpe (Elkhart Memorial) made a tackle and assisted on two others and John Sittler had a tackle for the Franklin Grizzlies in a 59-21 win over Hanover. Franklin (7-3) clinched a fourth straight Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference championship and claimed a berth in the NCAA Division III playoffs. Corpe has 33 tackles, 15 assists and two interceptions and Sittler five tackles, four assists and an interception this season. Also for the Grizzlies, freshman Eldon Burtsfield (Fairfield) has averaged 45.9 yards on seven kickoffs and had booted two PATs this season.
• Junior Brenna Ghigliotto (NorthWood) won three individual events and was on a winning relay for Franklin in a 202-66 victory at Rose-Hulman in Terre Haute. She won the 200-yard freestyle (2:02.31), the 100 breaststroke (1:10.35) and 200 breaststroke (2:33.42). Ghigliotto teamed with sophomore Shelby Conrad, freshmen Carly Fernandes and Regina Solik for a first place in the 200 medley relay (1:55.48). Franklin is 9-0 on the season.
• United States Naval Academy sophomore Julie Jesse (Goshen) competed in a four-team meet with Bucknell, American and Lafayette, placing sixth in the three-meter diving event (212.75 points) and fourth in the one-meter (234.35). Her score in the one-meter was a personal best in college.
• The IUPUI Jaguars posted a 161-137 win over Wright State. For the winners, freshman Brittani Grove (Northridge) was third in the 100 freestyle (54.82), freshman Melissa Berger (NorthWood) fourth in three-meter diving (198.22 points) and fourth in one-meter diving (196.20) and sophomore Sarah Rozow (Wawasee) third in the 100 breaststroke (1:13.44) and fifth in the 200 individual medley (2:20.82).
• Freshman A.J. Bernth (Northridge) placed fifth in the 200 butterfly (2:00.07), seventh in the 200 backstroke (2:04.01) and seventh in the 200 individual medley (2:02.93) and sophomore Ben Weingart (Elkhart Memorial) fourth in the 100 breaststroke (1:01.34), fifth in the 200 breaststroke (2:20.02) and eighth in the 200 IM (2:12.23) for IUPUI in a 156 1/2-143 1/2 loss to Wright State.
• Junior outside hitter Krystle Troyer (Elkhart Memorial) notched 23 kills, 18 digs, two blocking assists as IUSB dropped a 27-29, 25-17, 26-24, 19-25, 15-12 decision to Olivet Nazarene in the Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference tournament. It was the first-ever appearance in the CCAC tourney for the Titans after starting a program in 2011. Senior defensive specialist Bethany Brewer (NorthWood) had 17 digs and an ace and junior outside hitter Melanie Troyer (Elkhart Memorial) a kill, five setting assists and 10 digs for the Titans.