GOSHEN — Sophomore diver Julie Jesse was the top placer for the United States Naval Academy women’s swimming team in a 194-97 loss to nationally-ranked North Carolina at Koury Natatorium in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
The Goshen High School graduate was second in the three-meter competition with 240.75 points to Kelly Corish (280.28) of North Carolina.
Jesse finished third in the one-meter diving with 221.48 points.
• Junior Brenna Ghigliotto (NorthWood) placed first in both the 100-yard breaststroke (1:10.26) and 200 breast (2:33.05) as the Franklin College Grizzlies were second in the team standings at the Centre College Colonel Classic in Danville, Kentucky. Ghigliotto teamed with sophomore Shelby Conrad, freshmen Tori Klimczak and classmate Haley Biach to win the 400 medley relay (4:11.97) and with Conrad, Biach and freshmen Carly Fernandes for a second in the 200 medley relay (1:56.19).
• Freshman Melissa Berger (NorthWood) won the three-meter diving competition (250.57 points) and placed fourth in the one-meter event (190.58) for the IUPUI Jaguars in a 219-75 win over Western Illinois and a 176-123 win over St. Louis. Also for the Jaguars, sophomore Sarah Rozow (Wawasee) finished second in the 100 backstroke (1:01.92), second in the 200 back (2:15.48) and third in the 200 individual medley (2:16.53) and freshman Brittani Grove (Northridge) fourth in the 200 freestyle (2:01.26). The Jaguars defeated Xavier 200-98 and dropped a 176-120 decision to Ball State. Berger was fifth in three-meter diving (202.57), Grove sixth in the 100 freestyle (54.91) and ninth in the 200 free (2:01.51) and Rozow third in the 200 individual medley (2:16.18), sixth in the 100 back (1:01.50) and sixth in the 200 back (2:14.00). Senior Emily Wisolek (Northridge) finished second in the 200 freestyle (1:56.29) and fourth in the 200 backstroke (2:11.56) and junior Kayla Hussey (Goshen) third in the 1,000 free (10:45.11), third in the 200 free (2:14.91) and fourth in the 500 free (5:20.45).
• Freshman Brittney Walters (Northridge) was second in the 100 freestyle (56.56) for the Buffalo Bulls in a 126-88 win over Niagara University.
• Sophomore Audra Burtch (Concord) was third in the 1,000 freestyle (10:30.88) and fourth in the 500 free (5:16.06) for the Eastern Michigan Eagles in a 181-118 win at Denison. The Eagles were fifth in the team standings at the Florida International University Invitational. Burtch finished 12th in the 500 free (5:19.61), 38th in the 200 free (2:02.62) and 51st in the 100 individual medley (1:06.94).
• Purdue was a 187 1/2-112 1/2 winner over Michigan State in a Big Ten meet as freshman Austin Flager (Purdue) finished second in the 50-yard freestyle (20.74) the 100 free (46.48) for the Boilermakers. Flager teamed with sophomore Stephen Seliskar, junior Lyam Dias and senior Danny Tucker to win the 200 medley relay (1:31.04).
• Freshman AJ Bernth (Northridge) placed sixth in the 100 backstroke (57.28), eighth in the 200 back (2:04.91) and 11th in the 200 individual medley (2:08.87) for the IUPUI Jaguars on a 206-91 win over Western Illinois and a 189-109 loss to St. Louis. Bernth finished fourth in the 200 butterfly (2:00.02), sixth in the 200 individual medley (2:03.25) and eighth in the 100 fly (54.74) and sophomore Ben Weingart (Elkhart Memorial) fifth in the 200 breaststroke (2:16.30) as IUPUI defeated Ball State 191-104 and lost to Xavier 151-143.
• Senior Karvel Anderson (Elkhart Memorial) poured in a career-high 36 points as the Robert Morris Colonials snapped a three-game losing skid with a 79-70 win over Sacred Heart in the Northeast Conference opener for both squads. He swished 15-of-19 field goals, including 6-of-7 from 3-point range. He also had five rebounds and three steals. His trey from NBA-range with :29 left to play helped seal the victory.
• Ball State freshman Franko House (Concord) scored eight points on 3-of-6 shooting and 2-of-3 free throws to go with two rebounds and assist and a steal as the Cardinals dropped an 86-74 Mid-American Conference decision to Kent State. House dished out an assist in a 72-68 MAC loss at Akron.
• Senior Josh Riikonen (Elkhart Central) had six points, eight rebounds and a block for the Taylor Trojans in an 81-74 Crossroads League loss to Spring Arbor. Taylor is 8-9 (2-4 in the CL).
• Senior Taylor Goshert (Wawasee) poured in a game-high 24 points for the NAIA Division II No. 5 ranked Indiana Wesleyan Wildcats in an 85-53 victory of Mount Vernon in Crossroads League action. Goshert made 7-of-10 field goals (including three 3-pointers) and was 7-of-7 from the free-throw line to go with four rebounds and two steals. She scored 21 points in the first half as the Wildcats (15-3, 5-1 CL) were up 43-18 at intermission.
• Bethel College freshman Aimee Swihart (Goshen) totaled seven points, two rebounds, two assists and a steal as the Pilots fell to Marian, 73-63, in Crossroads League action. Junior Ashley Lutz (Penn) tossed in a career-high 20 points for the Pilots. She scored 19 of her points in the first half. It was the fifth straight home loss for Bethel as the Pilots fall to 7-11 (2-4 in the CL).
• Freshman Savannah Bley (NorthWood) netted two points, grabbed two rebounds and dished out an assist for Taylor in a 61-50 win over Spring Arbor. Taylor is 7-11 (2-4 Crossroads League).
• Freshman Haley Richardson (West Noble) had a steal for the Ball State Cardinals in a 70-66 MAC win over Eastern Michigan.