GOSHEN — Junior Marla zumFelde was recently named Royals Athlete of the Week at Eastern Mennonite University after averaging 20.0 points per game for the women’s basketball team.
The Bethany Christian High School product is back at full strength this season after tearing her ACL during the first practice a year ago.
zumFelde drilled six 3-pointers as she scored a career-high 21 points in an 80-57 win over Washington Adventist and five triples (19 points) in a 69-65 loss to Roanoke.
“Roanoke was a bigger team that forced us to hit shots outside of their 2-3 zone, and we were not able to do that,” zumFelde said in an interview on the school’s Web site.
She is looking to step into more of a leadership role for the team.
“Regardless of the score or the opponent, my goal is to add a more verbal aspect to my game that I believe will benefit our team,” zumFelde said.
On the season, zumFelde is shooting 31.3 percent (41-of-131) from beyond the arc. She has totals of 36 rebounds, 17 assists, eight steals and five assists.
Last semester she received a 3.92 GPA while majoring in biology with a focus in pre-physical therapy.
• Bethel College junior Ashley Lutz (Penn) was recently recognized by the Crossroads League as the Player of the Week. Lutz led the Pilots to a 1-1 week while recording two double-doubles in defeating Taylor 81-68 before falling to fifth-ranked Indiana Wesleyan 69-64. The guard averaged 18.0 points per game, 14.0 rebounds and 3.0 assists for the week. Lutz scored 18 points and grabbed 11 rebounds while connecting on 9-of-13 shots in the team’s win over Taylor. In the Bethel’s battle with No. 5 IWU, Lutz poured in 18 points, hauled in a career-high 17 rebounds and dished out five assists while shooting 7-for-14 from the field, including 4-of-4 from three-point range. For the week, Lutz shot 59 percent from the field and a blistering 80 percent from 3-point range.
• Bethel College freshman Aimee Swihart (Goshen) scored nine points to go with three rebounds and an assist and Lutz totaled 16 points, 11 rebounds, tow blocks and two steals in a 72-56 win over Goshen College.
• The Taylor Trojans dropped a 68-55 decision to Saint Francis as freshman Savannah Bley (NorthWood) netted two points for the Trojans,
• Indiana Wesleyan junior Emma Stahl (Jimtown) swished a game-tying basket at :07 only to have Sarah Feasby of Grace College connect on two free throws at :03 for a 69-67 victory. Stahl matched her career-high with 19 points. She also distributed six assists. Senior Taylor Goshert (Wawasee) had 12 points and seven rebounds for Indiana Wesleyan.
• Sophomore Emily Peppers-VanNamee (Northridge) had six points, 12 rebounds and an assist and senior Lauren Adams (Northridge) two points and a rebound for the IUSB Titans in a 62-58 win over Cardinal Stritch. Freshman KiLee Knafel (Wawasee) also played for the Titans.
•Senior Sarah DeShone (Jimtown) poured in 29 points, grabbed three rebounds and dished out six assists for the Ferris State Bulldogs in an 88-83 loss to Wayne State. She made 11-of-18 field goals (4-of-8 from 3-point range) and 3-of-4 free throws.
• Freshman Haley Richardson (West Noble) snagged a rebound for the Ball State Cardinals in a 56-43 win over Western Michigan.
• Senior Lindsey Steffen (NorthWood) recorded a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds for Holy Cross in a 79-76 loss to Saint Xavier. She also had an assist and a steal.
• Bethel College senior Ryan Benner (Mishawaka) and Aaron Evans if Marian University have been named co-Player of the Week in the Crossroads League.
Benner averaged 21.5 points, 2.5 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 1.5 steals per game to help Bethel improve to 17-5 on the season.
Benner shot 50 percent from the field, 39 percent from 3-point range, and 100 percent from the free-throw line for the week. He closed out the week scoring a game-high 24 points in Bethel’s 95-85 upset victory over No. 11 Indiana Wesleyan.
• Senior Josh Riikonen (Elkhart Central) had two points, four rebounds and a block for the Taylor Trojans in an 82-77 overtime loss to Saint Francis.
• Manchester College freshman Blake Brouwer (Elkhart Central) tallied nine points, a rebound and two blocks in an 81-74 loss to Franklin College.
• Senior Michael Kibiloski (Elkhart Memorial) had eight points, two rebounds and two assists for the IPFW Mastodons in an 86-83 win over Omaha.
• The IUSB Titans dropped a 96-70 decision to Cardinal Stritch. Sophomore Riley Stichter (Wawasee) totaled three points, six rebounds, two assists and a steal; sophomore Joe Godfread (Elkhart Central) six points and three blocks and senior Shane Cook (Jimtown) two points and a steal for IUSB.
• Freshman Franko House (Concord) had two points, four rebounds, an assist and a steal as the Ball State Cardinals fell to Western Michigan 62-53.
• Junior Abbey Neff (Fairfield) teamed with freshman Julie Brockman for a 6-2 win at No. 3 doubles for IUPUI in a 5-2 loss to Wright State.
Women’s Track and Field
• Sophomore Becca Kropf (Fairfield) placed 21st in the 600 meters (1:45:00). for the Ball State Cardinals at the Gladstein Invitational in Bloomington, Indiana. Kropf paired with sophomore Christina Crawford, freshman Kassidy Swenson and freshman Olivia Ashba for a 19th in the 4 x 400 relay (4:09.22).