DePauw freshman Andy Morrison (Northridge) has recently been named the Men’s Soccer Player of the Week in the North Coast Athletic Conference.
Morrison had a goal and an assist in a 3-2 win over Rose-Hulman and the game-winning goal in the 47th minute of a 1-0 victory over Denison.
This is DePauw’s first year in the NCAC so the Denison win was the school first-ever in the league.
He followed that up with another goal at 38:46 in a 2-0 NCAC win over Franklin as DePauw won its fifth straight and goals at 36:06 and 67:35 in a 2-1 victory over Hiram College for the Tigers’ sixth consecutive win.
Through the first eight games, Morrison is the team’s leading scorer with 16 points on seven goals and two assists.
The first goals of his collegiate career could not have come at a better time for the Tigers. Morrison netted two goals in the final 15:00, including the game-winner with 3:20 left in the first overtime in a 2-1 win over Millikin.
At Northridge, Morrison was All-Northern Lakes Conference, All-District and All-State during his junior and senior seasons. He was also an academic All-State selection as a junior and senior.
• University of Indianapolis senior Joe Leach (Wawasee) caught three passes for 37 yards as the Greyhounds lost 28-16 to Michigan Tech in Houghton, Michigan.
• Junior defensive lineman Zach Price (Elkhart Central) has six tackles, one assist and a sack for the DePauw Tigers (1-2).
Men’s Cross County
• Freshmen Mitch Eby (Northridge) was 77th (29:49) and Drew Hammel (Northridge) 122nd (33:31) for Manchester in the Otterbein Invitational in Westerville, Ohio. Manchester finished third in the team standings.
Women’s Cross Country
• Manchester placed fifth in the Otterbein Invitational in Westerville, Ohio, as junior Megan Hammel (Northridge) finished 48th (25:36) and junior Laura Gladfelter (Goshen) 124th (29:17).
• Saint Mary’s junior Emma Baker (Lakeland) placed 50th (26:14) in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association jamboree hosted by Trine University at Zollner Golf Course near Angola.
• Several area players were involved in Manchester’s 7-2 win over Earlham in a Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference match at Earlham. Junior Alli Heeter (NorthWood) was a 6-0, 6-1 winner at No. 3 singles, junior Alyssa Dibley (Elkhart Memorial) a 6-0, 6-0 winner at No. 5 singles, Heeter and sophomore Brandy Leeper (Bremen) an 8-2 winner at No. 3 doubles, Dibley and sophomore Ashley McClintic (NorthWood) an 8-3 winner at No. 3 doubles.
• Senior Michael Koronkiewicz (Goshen) carded a 76-78—154 total which was second for the University of Southern Indiana as the Screaming Eagles were fourth as a team in the University of Wisconsin-Parkside Invitational in Kenosha, Wisconsin.
• Junior libero Amy Oldenburg (Elkhart Memorial) had 18 digs as the University of Indianapolis defeated Kentucky Wesleyan 25-10, 25-12, 25-16. Senior middle hitter Courtney Anglemyer (Memorial) had three kills and sophomore middle hitter Brittany Anglemyer (Memorial) two.
• Sophomore Amy Thompson (NorthWood) carded a 77-80—157 total as the University of Indianapolis cruised to a 23-stroke victory in the Midwest Shootout in Waterloo, Illinois. It was Thompson’s third straight top ten finish this season. The Greyhounds carded a school record 296 four-player total in the first round.