Miguel Bello had quite a night for the Northridge Raiders.
All he did was win three individual events and run on a winning relay as the Raiders defeated Concord 69-63 and NorthWood 89-43 in an NLC meet Thursday evening at Northridge. Concord was a 73-59 winner over NorthWood.
Bello finished first in long jump (20-10 1/2), the 100- (11.72) and 200-meter dashes (23.67). He teamed with Jailyn Rolle, Alex Mark and Michael Presnell to win the 4 x 100 relay (45.91).
“Miguel won every event he was entered in,” Northridge coach Josh Fletcher said. “You can’t ask for anything more.”
Grant Bass had a big night for Concord, placing first in the 110 high hurdles (15.53), 300 hurdles (40.91) and anchoring the 4 x 400 relay to a win (3:58.57).
Others on the 4 x 400 were Giovanny Montoya, Jadon Chupp and Dominique Holt.
After Bass finished the final leg of the 4 x 400 he shouted “That’s the way to run a 400!” It took everything he had as Concord fell behind when one of their runners went down while exchanging the baton earlier in the race.
“Bass is a leader for our team,” Concord coach CJ Shafer said. “He runs the 400 well and the team looks to him for that. He gets emotional. In track it is not always good to do that, but he has a way of keeping it under control. He can use that to his advantage.”
Northridge has always been known for its distance runners and James Bradberry led a 1-2-3 sweep in the 3,200. Bradberry was first in 9:55.49, followed by Jacob Frost second in 9:56.4 and Blake O’Dell third in 9:56.69.
“Bradberry ran the 4 x 800, the 800, 1,600 and 3,200,” Fletcher said. “That is a lot to ask of a kid. He led us in the 3,200 and that sweep probably won us the meet.”
Former Goshen standout distance runner Jeff Payne is an assistant coach for the Raiders.
“The kids in the 3,200 listened to what Coach Payne and I told them,” Fletcher said.
Also for Northridge, Hunter Goodwin won the 400 (52.79), Devin Puckett pole vault (12-6), Neel Patel, Mike Linn, Travis Schlabach and Bradberry the 4 x 800 (8:31.00).
“Schlabach had a good night for us,” Fletcher said. “He ran the third leg of the 4 x 800 and 4 x 400. That is a lot to ask of a freshman.
“We also had a good night in pole vault with four guys over 11-6. That is consistent.”
Collin Chupp finished first in the 1,600 (4:34.13) for Concord.
“Chupp ran as far as you can ask a high school distance runner to run in a meet,” Shafer said. “He ran on the 4 x 800, in the 800, 1,600 and 3,200. He is another one of the leaders for this team. He has embraced that role. He might have been a little tired in the ,3200 but he was going up against three pretty good runners.”
Winning events for NorthWood were Ethan Killian shot put (50-6) and discus (139-1), Corban Wyatt 800 (2:50.67) and Devin Hunsberger high jump (5-10).
“I’m very happy,” NorthWood coach Scott Mikel said. “The last couple of seasons these were the kind of meets were we getting blown out in. I told the guys had we not given up nine points in long jump it would have been closer.
“Killian is already throwing over 50 in shot. He didn’t make that a year ago until much later in the season.”
4 x 800-METER RELAY — 1, Northridge (Neel Patel, Mike Linn, Travis Schlabach, James Bradberry) 8:31.00; 2, Concord 8:32.00; 3, NorthWood 9:38.00.
110-METER HIGH HURDLES — 1, Grant Bass (C) 15.53; 2, Tim Yoder (C) 16.31; 3, Austin Healey (N) 16.71; 4, Zachary Telschow (NW) 16.76.
100-METER DASH — 1, Miguel Bello (N) 11.72; 2, Dominique Holt (C) 11.94; 3, Brayden Troxel (NW) 11.95; 4, Jailyn Rolle (N) 12.10.
1600-METER RUN — 1, Collin Chupp (C) 4:34.13; 2, James Bradberry (N) 4:36.90; 3, Blake O’Dell (N) 4:40.72; 4, Jacob Frost (N) 4:49.93.
4 x 100-METER RELAY — 1, Northridge (Jailyn Rolle, Alex Mark, Michael Presnell, Miguel Bello) 45.55; 2, NorthWood 45.91.
400-METER DASH — 1, Hunter Goodwin (N) 52.79; 2, Hunter Johnson (N) 53.75; 4, Giovanny Montoya (C) 54.49; 4, Nick Skwarcan (NW) 55.00.
300-METER HURDLES — 1, Grant Bass (C) 40.91; 2, Zachary Telschow (NW) 43.20; 3, Tim Yoder (C) 43.84; 4, Michael Presnell (N) 44.27.
800-METER RUN — 1, Corban Wyatt (NW) 2:05.67; 2, Collin Chupp (C) 2:07.70; 3, Mike Linn (N) 2:08.57; 4, Keenan Burnett (C) 2:10.44.
200-METER DASH — 1, Miguel Bello (N) 23.67; 2, Dominique Holt (C) 22.69; 3, Jailyn Rolle (N) 23.84; 4, Brayden Troxel (NW) 28.00.
3200-METER RUN — 1, James Bradberry (N) 9:55.49; 2, Jacob Frost (N) 9:56.49; 3, Blake O’Dell (N) 9:56.69; 4, Collin Chupp (C) 10:33.30.
4 x 400-METER RELAY — 1, Concord (Giovanny Montoya, Jadon Chupp, Dominique Holt, Grant Bass) 3:55.54; 2, Northridge 3:35.85; 3, NorthWood 3:58.57.
HIGH JUMP — 1, Devin Hunsberger (NW) 5-10; 2, Will Steuve (NW) 5-10; 3, Bennett Parker (NW) 5-8; 4, Austin Healey (N) 5-6.
LONG JUMP — 1, Miguel Bello (N) 20-10 1/2; 2, Dominique Holt (C) 20-2; 3, Hunter Goodwin (N) 19-6 1/2; 4, Ian Knight (C) 18-2 1/2.
POLE VAULT — 1, Devin Puckett (N) 12-6; 2, Josh Rheinheimer (N) 123-0; 3, Hunter Goodwin (C) 11-6; 4, Corey Udell (N) 11-6.
DISCUS — 1, Ethan Killian (NW) 139-1; 2, Jason Spriggs (C) 138-0; 3, Jett Gillis (NW) 135-3; 4, Michael McQueen (C) 112-7.
SHOT PUT — 1, Ethan Killian (NW) 50-6; 2, Jett Gillis (NW) 48-0; 3, Jason Spriggs (C) 46-7; 4, Tyler Hoffman (C) 41-1.
Northridge’s Bello has a hand in winning four events at meet
Miguel Bello had quite a night for the Northridge Raiders.
- PREP BOYS BASKETBALL: THE FINAL TWO ELKHART -- A grand prize awaits either the Goshen Redskins or Concord Minutemen tonight. Those two long-time high school boys basketball tournament fixtures at North Side gym clash in a Class 4A sectional championship game at 7:30. Goshen was 30-for-
- PREP BOYS BASKETBALL: Warriors hold off Lancers, advance to finals EMMA -- Last season, LaVille eliminated Westview in the championship game of the Class 2A Westview Sectional. For nearly a year, the Warriors have been waiting to pay the Lancers back for that disappointing loss. The bill came due Friday night as the
Gasol's double-double helps Grizzlies beat Bulls
From the tough defense to the rugged rebounding and passing big men
Rockets win 4th straight, 112-86 over Pacers
James Harden and the Rockets were determined to make up for their most lopsided loss of the season
- WOMEN'S BASKETBALL: No. 2 Notre Dame beats FSU GREENSBORO, N.C. -- Notre Dame made its Atlantic Coast Conference tournament debut look a lot like nearly every other game it played in the league this season. Jewell Loyd scored 17 points to lead the No. 2 Fighting Irish past Florida State 83-57 in
- PREP WRESTLING: No regrets BENTON -- Fairfield senior wrestler Forrest Glogouski made the most of his second and final trip to the IHSAA state wrestling tournament. The Falcon standout, a four-year competitor for Fairfield, finished as the runner-up at 120 pounds at the recent
- PREP BOYS BASKETBALL: Goshen ready for rematch with Blazers GOSHEN -- Survive and advance. At sectional time, that's what Indiana high school basketball is all about. And that is just what the Goshen High School boys basketball team did Tuesday night in the opening round of the Class 4A Elkhart Sectional at
- Park names GHS football staff New Goshen High School football coach Kyle Park has announced his coaching staff for the 2014 season.
- Park names football staff at Goshen
PODCAST: TGN Sports Roundtable, Ep. 21
TGN Sports Editor David Vantress and Sports Reporter Greg Keim talk about sectional boys basketball, aka Hoosier Hysteria, and boys state swimming results.
- More Sports Headlines