By JOHN KLINE
THE GOSHEN NEWS
Goshen Board of Works and Safety members Monday approved a request by Dutchmen Manufacturing that paves the way for a large remodeling and improvement project at the company’s existing Caragana Court manufacturing campus.
According to Matt Schuster, manager of site development services with Jones Petrie Rafinski, Dutchmen’s proposed improvements include constructing a new industrial facility, stormwater drainage improvements, additional employee parking and demolition of existing obsolete buildings.
Dutchmen manufactures recreational vehicles.
Due to the size of the campus, Schuster said the new proposed building is designed to utilize an existing sewer line within the campus, which is approximately 40 feet from the proposed southeast corner of the new facility. However, based upon the location of the existing off-site utilities, Schuster noted that a public sewer main is not readily available off Eisenhower Drive North to serve the new building.
“On the proposed site, what they’re seeking to do is construct to an existing sanitary sewer line,” Schuster said. “What they’re requesting is the board’s permission for approval of the new facility to be considered an accessory structure within the campus to be allowed to connect to the existing sanitary sewer line which is off of Dierdorff Road.”
The board approved the request with the condition that the new facility will be required to either obtain a sanitary sewer easement or connect to a public sewer main should the structure ever be parceled off from the rest of the campus and sold to another entity.
In other business, the board:
• Awarded the contract for the 2013 Asphalt Paving Project to the lowest bidder, Walsh & Kelly. The contract includes both the base bid of $138,880 and the alternate bid of $47,646 for a total contract cost of $186,526.
• Accepted the resignation of Steve Taft as emergency medical services captain retroactive to July 18. Taft will return to his previously held rank of private first-class.
• Approved a request by Jose and Maria Hernandez, owners of The Hernandez Event Center, 2408 Eisenhower Drive North, Goshen, for additional time to comply with the city requirement for installation of a durable, hard surface on the parking area associated with the event center. With the approved agreement, the owners will be required to pave half of the parking lot by Aug. 1, 2014, and the other half by Aug 1, 2015.
• Approved a request by The Post to block off access to North Sixth Street from East Lincoln Way to the alley behind The Post from 4 to 9 p.m. Friday for a block party.
• Approved a change order for $2,658 to close out the Blackport Drive Resurfacing project.
• Approved a change order extending the contract completion date for the Dickerson Landing Phase II project from Aug. 2 to Aug. 16.
• Approved a resolution officially establishing the right of a water and/or sewer utility service account holder to request a hearing before the board if the account holder believes a disconnection notice has been issued in error or otherwise believes a utility bill is incorrect.