GOSHEN — Come sail away, again.
Styx is scheduled to perform during this summer’s Elkhart County 4-H Fair. The official announcement was made during the Wednesday night Fair Board meeting.
Styx will perform July 21 — the first Saturday of fair week — at 8 p.m. on the grandstand stage. Tickets for reserved grandstand track seats go on sale March 24. The ticket cost is unconfirmed at this time, but that information will be posted on the fair’s Facebook page and website www.4hfair.org when it becomes available.
Styx also performed during the 2005 Elkhart County fair.
The group was formed in suburban Chicago in the early 1970s. Styx built a regional following, and started to break through to the mainstream when its song “Lady” garnered airplay on Chicago radio station WLS-FM in late 1974.
Styx would subsequently record the platinum-selling albums “Crystal Ball,” “The Grand Illusion,” “Pieces of Eight,” “Cornerstone,” “Paradise Theater” and “Kilroy Was Here.” Tracks that have a home on classic rock radio playlists include “Renegade,” “Blue Collar Man,” “Come Sail Away,” “Babe,” “Mr. Roboto,” “Too Much Time on My Hands” and “The Best of Times.”
The Styx lineup circa 2012 includes longtime members Tommy Shaw and James “JY” Young along with Lawrence Gowan, Todd Sucherman and Ricky Phillips. Original bassist Chuck Panozzo occasionally performs with the group. Original vocalist Dennis DeYoung is no longer part of the band.
Styx is the third major act to be announced for this summer’s fair, which runs July 20 to 28. Thompson Square is set to perform July 23, and Josh Turner on July 24.
GOSHEN — Come sail away, again.
- Local News
- LaGrange dispatcher talks woman out of burning home A distraught Topeka woman was talked to safety out of her burning home Thursday morning by a LaGrange County 911 dispatcher.
- Human uniqueness focus of religion and science conference GOSHEN — Goshen College’s 14th annual Conference on Science and Religion will take place March 14-16. The featured speaker will be Joshua M. Moritz, lecturer of philosophical theology and the natural sciences at the Graduate Theological Union in Berkeley, Calif., adjunct professor of philosophy at the University of San Francisco and managing editor of the journal Theology and Science.
- Questions linger in Northridge teacher's removal A Northridge High School teacher has apparently been removed from his classroom duties, but why that action was taken has not been revealed.
First Fridays theme is 'Live & Local'
Music: This month, it’s the main thing.
“Live & Local” is the theme for the March First Fridays in Goshen. Local and regional musicians will be performing in a host of downtown venues.
- Wreck leaves Westview sisters in critical, serious condition EMMA — A pair of Millersburg sisters headed to school this morning were involved in a two-car crash that left one in critical condition and may have been caused in part by snow piles obstructing views.
State police hand over Martin's shooting report to prosecutor
The Indiana State Police handed over its report from the Jan. 15 shooting at Martin's to the Elkhart County Prosecutor's Office today.
VIDEO: Crash near Westview High School sends two to hospitals
TGN Photojournalist Sam Householder talks to LaGrange County Sheriff's Deputy Ed Flowers about the crash at Ind. 5 and 200 South near Emma shortly before 8 a.m. Thursday, March 6, 2014.
WHO WE ARE: Major transportation changes just around the corner
A rerouted and raised U.S. 33, a quiet zone and a Waterford Mills Parkway bridge over the Marion Line will change the way motorists travel through and around the city in a few years. And those may not be the last three projects to separate cars from trains.
Home invasion suspect pleads guilty in court
One of the suspects involved in a home invasion, where a New Paris couple were confined in their home, pleaded guilty to several felonies this morning in Elkhart Circuit Court.
- Relentless winter tough on school schedules Winter weather continued to add school snow days in Elkhart County this February.
- More Local News Headlines