GOSHEN — Come sail away, again.
Styx is scheduled to perform during this summer’s Elkhart County 4-H Fair. The official announcement was made during the Wednesday night Fair Board meeting.
Styx will perform July 21 — the first Saturday of fair week — at 8 p.m. on the grandstand stage. Tickets for reserved grandstand track seats go on sale March 24. The ticket cost is unconfirmed at this time, but that information will be posted on the fair’s Facebook page and website www.4hfair.org when it becomes available.
Styx also performed during the 2005 Elkhart County fair.
The group was formed in suburban Chicago in the early 1970s. Styx built a regional following, and started to break through to the mainstream when its song “Lady” garnered airplay on Chicago radio station WLS-FM in late 1974.
Styx would subsequently record the platinum-selling albums “Crystal Ball,” “The Grand Illusion,” “Pieces of Eight,” “Cornerstone,” “Paradise Theater” and “Kilroy Was Here.” Tracks that have a home on classic rock radio playlists include “Renegade,” “Blue Collar Man,” “Come Sail Away,” “Babe,” “Mr. Roboto,” “Too Much Time on My Hands” and “The Best of Times.”
The Styx lineup circa 2012 includes longtime members Tommy Shaw and James “JY” Young along with Lawrence Gowan, Todd Sucherman and Ricky Phillips. Original bassist Chuck Panozzo occasionally performs with the group. Original vocalist Dennis DeYoung is no longer part of the band.
Styx is the third major act to be announced for this summer’s fair, which runs July 20 to 28. Thompson Square is set to perform July 23, and Josh Turner on July 24.
GOSHEN — Come sail away, again.
- Local News
- Pioneer Drama Troupe to perform 'Emma' Emma has a gift for getting people together — or so she thinks. Pride and matchmaking gone awry are key to Jane Austen’s “Emma,” which will be brought to theatrical life this weekend by the Pioneer Drama Troupe.
- West Goshen dress code policy unveiled GOSHEN — Solid color shirts with collars and two to four buttons are the proposed changes for students at Goshen Elementary School with a standardized dress code policy this fall.
Michigan murderer arraigned in prison escape that led to manhunt in Elkhart, LaGrange counties
IONIA, Mich. — A convicted murderer who broke out of a western Michigan prison in February has been arraigned on escape, carjacking and kidnapping charges.
- 'A Kid's Life' portrays sudden techno loss WAKARUSA — The young people of our present day society don’t remember ever having lived their lives without some element of electronic gadgetry becoming involved. For them, it would be difficult to fathom the possibility of a world “off the grid.” So the fourth- and fifth-grade students of Wakarusa Elementary School will offer a comedic and chaotic interpretation of such a dilemma with their upcoming musical “A Kid’s Life.”
- Furry pals help GC students with dog days of finals GOSHEN - Goshen College students took a break from preparing for final exams to hangout with some four-legged friends Monday afternoon.
- Fairfield students to present Oscar Wilde classic BENTON — Fairfield’s musicals and plays have recently left their status as an extracurricular activity and come under the wing of the Performing Arts Department and under the direction of Andrew Muth.
- Sheriff travels to Nev. ranch in fed dispute Elkhart County Sheriff Brad Rogers has weighed in on a controversy surrounding a Nevada rancher, and visited the scene of the struggle.
- Elkhart, LaGrange counties denied FEMA aid GOSHEN — Elkhart and LaGrange counties were not among the 19 Indiana counties that had financial aid approved Tuesday by FEMA for a January winter storm.
- Prep Roundup BASEBALL Falcons garner road win The Fairfield Falcons posted a 5-4 victory Tuesday evening at Rochester. Dustin Everage (three innings), Andrew Bobeck (three) and Austin Christner (one) pitched for the winners. Everage struck out three to earn the
- SLIDESHOW: Pets of the Week Available cats and dogs at the Humane Society of Elkhart County. These loving animals are looking for permanent homes.
- More Local News Headlines