Goshen News, Goshen, IN

November 16, 2012

Pig saved from three-story barn fire, pony dies

By SHERRY VAN ARSDALL
THE GOSHEN NEWS

— GOSHEN — Bitsy, the pot-bellied pig, survived a fire that destroyed a three-story barn at 60867 Ind. 15 Thursday evening but her barn mate, a pony, did not survive.

The fire was called in to the Jefferson Township Fire Department at approximately 8:12 p.m. and was a total loss, said Chief Doug Weldy.

“An electric fence was on in the barn. The homeowners were out in the barn at 5 p.m. to bring the pony in and the pony didn’t make it,” Weldy said. “It is a three-level structure and we aren’t sure what started the fire. We had it under control, I would say, in about a half-hour to 40 minutes.”

As the firefighters sorted through the rubble, Bitsy was found and coaxed away from the barn by the homeowners, who looked happy and relieved. Two small bikes were tossed in a pile by a firefighter.

Elva Yoder, Goshen, stood near the fire trucks and watched as smoke billowed in the night sky.

“I had a neighbor see it and call me,” Yoder said. “I live on C.R. 23 and have machinery in the building next door but not in this barn that burnt. They had pets in the barn.”

Yoder said, “The building is a pretty big barn and thank goodness the house didn’t burn. It’s an old farm house and the building was kind of unique. It’s an all wood building and it burnt pretty fast.”

Chelsea Wagner, Goshen, watched the blaze and shuddered.

“I live right across on Ind. 15 and we thought it was our house. We were freaking out,” Wagner said.

The homeowners declined to comment about the fire.