By ROGER SCHNEIDER
THE GOSHEN NEWS
Members of the public will get a chance to contribute their ideas and voice their concerns about a proposed rerouting of U.S. 33 through Goshen.
City engineer Mary Cripe made the announcement about the meeting at Mondays’ Goshen Board of Public Works meeting. Cripe said the U.S. 33 meeting will begin at 5:30 p.m. Feb. 26 at the Rieth Interpretive Center along Plymouth Avenue
Cripe recently announced the Indiana Department of Transportation is considering a north connector route, which would be a two-lane road from Madison (U.S. 33) and Monroe streets to Fifth and Pike streets. Property acquisition could begin as early as late this year or in early 2014.
Another highway issue was addressed by the board Monday.
The board decided to adopt a policy that will limit memorials to people who have been killed or who died. Such memorials in public right of ways that are owned by the city will be limited to 90 days or less. The rule also applies to city-owned trails.
Mayor Allan Kauffman, who is a member of the BPWS, said the city was approached by a city neighborhood association, which wanted the time limit imposed.
In other business the board:
• Gave Greg Faubion permission to run water and sewer lines from existing lines on his property at 713 E. Lincoln Ave. Faubion intends to construct an indoor shooting range on the property that was formerly used for his plumbing business.
• Approved road and alley closures for First Fridays events in downtown Goshen as well as the traditional parade route for the 4-H Fair in July.
• Agreed to keep interest rates for loans to property owners the same. Loans are available for 3 percent, with a 12 percent default rate for those wanting to repair or install sidewalks.
• Entered into a contract with Government Fixed Asset Services Inc. for no more than $5,000 to help city officials report the city government’s assets to government agencies.
• Will send its annual payment of $2,000 to the St. Joseph River Basin Commission. The funds will come from the utility departmet.