From The Maple City to morning TV.
Officials at CNN announced that former Goshen resident Kate Bolduan will co-host the network’s new morning show along with Chris Cuomo. Michaela Pereira will join CNN as the program’s news anchor. The program is scheduled to premiere this spring, and will be broadcast from CNN’s New York City studios.
“I’ve been looking forward to this announcement since I first joined CNN,” President of CNN Worldwide Jeff Zucker was quoted on the network’s website. “Chris, Kate and Michaela are a dynamic team that will give our viewers in America a new way to start their day. We were floored with excitement when we saw Chris and Kate together on screen, and by adding Michaela to the mix we feel we have something very special. We believe there is an opening to do news in the morning with a fresh, new voice.”
“It is a huge opportunity to work on this new show,” Bolduan said on the CNN site. “Knowing that we have the resources of some of the most experienced executives in the business, the backing of a brand like CNN, and to be able to sit alongside such great people as Chris and Michaela — I can’t think of a better combination.”
Bolduan has co-anchored “The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer” since 2012 and contributed to “America’s Choice 2012,” according to CNN. She also serves as a CNN congressional correspondent, reporting on the U.S. House and Senate.
Bolduan joined CNN in 2007 as a national correspondent for CNN Newsource. According to the CNN website providing news coverage and feature reports for more than 800 CNN Newsource affiliates.
Her work experience prior to CNN included a general assignment reporter for WTVD-TV in Raleigh, N.C.
In a 2007 interview with The Goshen News shortly after being hired by CNN, Bolduan, said her interest in a news career began when she was a student at Goshen High School. She took writing courses from English teachers Diane and Doug Cartwright and Marilyn Graber and got involved with the school newspaper, being named editor-in-chief her senior year.
“I enjoyed reporting on the events at Goshen High School and having people read my work,” Bolduan told The News. Later, while in college at George Washington University, she enrolled in a broadcast journalism class. That was when she really got the news “bug,” she said.
Bolduan’s work at CNN brought her to Goshen in January 2010 to secure interviews for a segment of “The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer.” The segment was a look at the trickle-down effect of stimulus money on the local economy. Goshen Mayor Allan Kauffman and Dough Shaffer of Doug’s Sports Cuts were among the people Bolduan interviewed for the piece.
Bolduan is the daughter of Jeff and Nadine Bolduan of Goshen.
From The Maple City to morning TV.
- Local News
Michigan murderer arraigned in prison escape that led to manhunt in Elkhart, LaGrange counties
IONIA, Mich. — A convicted murderer who broke out of a western Michigan prison in February has been arraigned on escape, carjacking and kidnapping charges.
- 'A Kid's Life' portrays sudden techno loss WAKARUSA — The young people of our present day society don’t remember ever having lived their lives without some element of electronic gadgetry becoming involved. For them, it would be difficult to fathom the possibility of a world “off the grid.” So the fourth- and fifth-grade students of Wakarusa Elementary School will offer a comedic and chaotic interpretation of such a dilemma with their upcoming musical “A Kid’s Life.”
- Furry pals help GC students with dog days of finals GOSHEN - Goshen College students took a break from preparing for final exams to hangout with some four-legged friends Monday afternoon.
- Fairfield students to present Oscar Wilde classic BENTON — Fairfield’s musicals and plays have recently left their status as an extracurricular activity and come under the wing of the Performing Arts Department and under the direction of Andrew Muth.
- Sheriff travels to Nev. ranch in fed dispute Elkhart County Sheriff Brad Rogers has weighed in on a controversy surrounding a Nevada rancher, and visited the scene of the struggle.
- Elkhart, LaGrange counties denied FEMA aid GOSHEN — Elkhart and LaGrange counties were not among the 19 Indiana counties that had financial aid approved Tuesday by FEMA for a January winter storm.
- Prep Roundup BASEBALL Falcons garner road win The Fairfield Falcons posted a 5-4 victory Tuesday evening at Rochester. Dustin Everage (three innings), Andrew Bobeck (three) and Austin Christner (one) pitched for the winners. Everage struck out three to earn the
- SLIDESHOW: Pets of the Week Available cats and dogs at the Humane Society of Elkhart County. These loving animals are looking for permanent homes.
Indiana panel approves new school standards
A panel of Indiana business and education leaders were met with boos and jeers from attendees after they voted overwhelmingly Monday to support new math and English standards set to replace the Common Core in classrooms this fall.
The week in photos
- More Local News Headlines
- Michigan murderer arraigned in prison escape that led to manhunt in Elkhart, LaGrange counties