Goshen News, Goshen, IN

Local News

May 11, 2013

Principal addresses video threat of GHS student

GOSHEN — A video in which threats are made to kill her son still brings tears to the eyes of Christina Horn, Goshen.

The video was made in the cafeteria during lunch at Goshen High School and posted on Facebook last month, Horn said.

“I will never forget the video in my head,” the mother said, her voice catching, while listening to the dialogue between two students talk about getting her 15-year-old son Johnathan cornered into a batting cage at Model Elementary School where they could lock him up and “murder him.”

“I’m like, oh my God,” she said.

Horn said she called Goshen police April 20 and “the cops came here and wrote up a report, that’s all they could do.” She called the high school the following Monday morning and was told by school officials that “it would be taken care of. I thought it would be taken care of like the boys would be gone forever,” Horn said.

Goshen Community Schools Superintendent Diane Woodworth and Goshen High School Principal Barry Younghans watched the video.

Younghans could not comment on the discipline of the students involved in the incident but Horn said, “one boy was suspended for three days and the other boy was suspended for five days and he got to go back to school.”

The principal said, “We take all threats extremely seriously and 99 percent of the students walk the halls and there are no issues at all. We try to be safe as we can. This is a public building and we do our best to teach kids to become productive citizens and be responsible for their behavior. This (threat) is a microcosm of Goshen.”

Horn sent her son back to school the following week after talking with the principal and being “assured he (Johnathan) would be safe there. He was harassed in the hallways and called names by other friends of the boys (who made the video).”

“I just gave them a big smile,” Johnathan said.

The threats continued with harassing phone calls and text messages to Facebook posts, she said.

“I changed his phone number and he deleted his Facebook. No 15-year-old should have to do that,” Horn said, with tears in her eyes.

She feels Johnathan isn’t safe at the school and decided to keep him home. He’s not going anywhere right now, she said, as far as attending classes.

However Horn was concerned about his class credits because, “I don’t want his education suffering and made arrangements with school officials so Johnathan could be re-enrolled to finish out the last few days of classes. He will go two hours a day and then go home,” she said. “He will not be going back to Goshen High School next year.”

The mother says she’s on a mission to stop bullying.

“I don’t want somebody to be murdered and I’m on a mission to stop it. It’s got to stop,” Horn said. “I’m tired. I can’t take a chance. I won’t let him go anywhere unless I’m with him or going to church. I can’t take a chance. It’s just me and my son. He’s my kid.”

 

1
Text Only
Local News
Parade
Magazine

Click HERE to read all your Parade favorites including Hollywood Wire, Celebrity interviews and photo galleries, Food recipes and cooking tips, Games and lots more.
Poll

Goshen City Council member Dixie Robinson is asking residents to make an effort to clean up their yards this spring. The city’s Dial-A-Truck program is available to haul trash away. Do you think there are more unsightly properties in Goshen this year than five years ago?

Yes, I have noticed more problem properties
No, I have not noticed more problems
I think the problems are about the same as always
     View Results
AP Video