GOSHEN — One person remains hospitalized today after being struck by a falling batting cage at Goshen College Monday night.
College officials said Tuesday there were five people injured, including four in the stands and one volleyball official when the steel cables holding the cage above a volleyball court snapped and allowed the cage to fall. College officials said Tuesday the injuries were not life-threatening.
The four fans injured were parents of Northridge High School players, according to GC officials.
Hospital officials said Tuesday the man who remains in the hospital is listed in fair condition. His wife, who was also injured, was treated and released. The Goshen News could not confirm the couple’s identity with family members, so is withholding the names.
Three people were transported to IU Health Goshen Hospital, two by ambulance and one by private vehicle, according to a firefighter. Others suffered minor injuries.
Witnesses say one woman was knocked unconscious and another woman and man were bleeding.
The batting cage stretches the width of the basketball court and is 10 or 12 feet wide. It is made with steel pipe fra,e, similar to 2- or 3-inch plumbing pipes, and is draped with black netting to stop baseballs and softballs whacked around during practices. The cage is one of two that were suspended above the court and lowered using electric winches. The cages hang from a series of steel, braided cables.
The accident occurred at 6:40 p.m. Monday when a summer high school girls volleyball league was playing. There were three matches being played on the Goshen College basketball floor, which can be converted into the volleyball courts. Members of more teams and their friends and parents were also in the gym waiting to play, according to one of the referees. Small sections of bleachers were pulled out to accommodate the small group of fans for each team.