GRANGER — The Elkhart County Sheriff’s Department is investigating the suspicious death of a 17-year-old girl following a 911 call late Saturday evening in Granger.According to Elkhart County police, officers responded to a 911 call at a residence located at 29482 C.R. 1, Granger, at 11:18 p.m. Saturday.Upon arrival to the home, officers located a 17-year-old girl who was found deceased in a bedroom.Elkhart County Sheriff’s Department detectives, with the assistance of the Elkhart County Coroner’s office and the Elkhart County Prosecutor’s office, began an investigation into the girl death, which appeared suspicious.While on-scene, officers said they arrested a person of interest on unrelated charges. The investigation is ongoing and the name of the victim will not be released pending notification of family.Additional information concerning this investigation will be released once it becomes available.
- Local News
Michigan murderer arraigned in prison escape that led to manhunt in Elkhart, LaGrange counties
IONIA, Mich. — A convicted murderer who broke out of a western Michigan prison in February has been arraigned on escape, carjacking and kidnapping charges.
- 'A Kid's Life' portrays sudden techno loss WAKARUSA — The young people of our present day society don’t remember ever having lived their lives without some element of electronic gadgetry becoming involved. For them, it would be difficult to fathom the possibility of a world “off the grid.” So the fourth- and fifth-grade students of Wakarusa Elementary School will offer a comedic and chaotic interpretation of such a dilemma with their upcoming musical “A Kid’s Life.”
- Furry pals help GC students with dog days of finals GOSHEN - Goshen College students took a break from preparing for final exams to hangout with some four-legged friends Monday afternoon.
- Fairfield students to present Oscar Wilde classic BENTON — Fairfield’s musicals and plays have recently left their status as an extracurricular activity and come under the wing of the Performing Arts Department and under the direction of Andrew Muth.
- Sheriff travels to Nev. ranch in fed dispute Elkhart County Sheriff Brad Rogers has weighed in on a controversy surrounding a Nevada rancher, and visited the scene of the struggle.
- Elkhart, LaGrange counties denied FEMA aid GOSHEN — Elkhart and LaGrange counties were not among the 19 Indiana counties that had financial aid approved Tuesday by FEMA for a January winter storm.
- Prep Roundup BASEBALL Falcons garner road win The Fairfield Falcons posted a 5-4 victory Tuesday evening at Rochester. Dustin Everage (three innings), Andrew Bobeck (three) and Austin Christner (one) pitched for the winners. Everage struck out three to earn the
- SLIDESHOW: Pets of the Week Available cats and dogs at the Humane Society of Elkhart County. These loving animals are looking for permanent homes.
Indiana panel approves new school standards
A panel of Indiana business and education leaders were met with boos and jeers from attendees after they voted overwhelmingly Monday to support new math and English standards set to replace the Common Core in classrooms this fall.
The week in photos
- More Local News Headlines
- Michigan murderer arraigned in prison escape that led to manhunt in Elkhart, LaGrange counties