Judge Shewmaker sentenced McDuffie to 44 years in the Indiana Department of Correction, plus four years on probation. McDuffie was given credit for 143 days he’d already been incarcerated.
Earlier this month, McDuffie entered guilty pleas to Class B felony counts of armed robbery, burglary, criminal confinement and conspiracy to commit burglary.
Prosecutors allege that McDuffie and four co-defendants, all Elkhart residents, committed a home invasion at a residence in Goshen’s Twin Pines Mobile Home Park. When he entered his guilty pleas in Circuit Court, McDuffie implicated three co-defendants — Armando Gonzalez, Davon Crenshaw and Montrail D. Williams.
Prosecutors charged a fifth man in connection with the home invasion. However, during the prior hearing defense attorney Fay Schwartz said McDuffie’s position is he does not have information about that individual.
Schwartz said Thursday that McDuffie was unarmed and wasn’t wearing a mask during the crime. She McDuffie held a flashlight on a couple of women “and they were confined.”
Schwartz said her client has a juvenile record in Elkhart County and in the Detroit area, and a felony conviction that occurred when he was 17. She said McDuffie’s mother did the best she could, but was unable to supervise McDuffie and his siblings due to her medical issues.
Schwartz said McDuffie’s older brother and uncle were shot and killed in Detroit, and McDuffie was shot in the same city. As for the Goshen home invasion, Schwartz indicated the crime was an aberration for McDuffie.
“Antoine is 21 years old and has made the biggest mistake of his life,” she said.
Deputy Prosecutor David Francisco said only women and children were home when McDuffie and the others decided to strike. Francisco said four intruders entered the home; three of them had firearms, and two of the guns were loaded.