Goshen News, Goshen, IN

November 1, 2013

UPDATE: Two injured in house fire on East County Line Road

THE GOSHEN NEWS

MIDDLEBURY — A husband and wife were injured in a gas stove explosion and house fire at 1225 N. 1200 West, Middlebury, at 6:30 p.m. Thursday.

Firefighters from Middlebury and Shipshewana fire departments were called to the explosion, which caught the home and attached garage of Galen and Ida Sue Eash on fire, according Galen Eash's brother-in-law Harley Bontrager.

The whole family, except one daughter, was inside, he said. Everyone was able to get out, but Galen and Ida Sue were injured.

Galen suffered second and third degree burns to 40 percent of his body and is at a burn center in Fort Wayne, Bontrager said.

Ida Sue suffered less substantial burns and was taken to Parkview Hospital LaGrange. Bontrager said she was expected to be released today.

Bontrager said the Eashes were using a two-burner stove that had been hooked up to a portable LP tank and they heard a hissing sound, so they yelled at the kids to get out. Before the parents could get out, it exploded, he said.

Right now, Bontrager said, volunteers from the community and family members are just focusing on rebuilding the garage until the Eashes can communicate as to what they would like for their home.

He expects the house and garage to be done in the next couple of weeks. Until then, Bontrager said the Eashes will likely stay with family.