Goshen News, Goshen, IN

October 8, 2013

County Commissioners approve contract for bridge work

By JOHN KLINE
THE GOSHEN NEWS

GOSHEN — Elkhart County Commissioners Monday approved a $149,000 contract with South Bend-based engineering firm Lawson Fisher for construction engineering work connected to the recently approved replacement of Bridge 127 on C.R. 4.

The board initially gave the green light to the bridge replacement project during its meeting Sept. 30, approving a contract with the Indiana Department of Transportation for work on the bridge, which crosses Christiana Creek, at a cost of approximately $1,049,000.

According to County Administrator Tom Byers, INDOT has agreed to pay up to 80 percent of the cost of the project with federal funds, while county officials will be responsible for paying the remaining 20 percent.

A similar method of payment was also adopted for the contract approved Monday, with the county agreeing to pay 20 percent of the total cost for bridge construction engineering work, while the remaining 80 percent will be paid for with federal transportation dollars.

A completion date for the replacement work has tentatively been set for at or before June 30, 2014.

Other business

In other business, the board:

• Approved a request by the Riders Motorcycle Club of Goshen to conduct its annual Turkey Creek Enduro and Turkey Gobbler Family Enduro motorcycle rallies this November. The rallies, which are sanctioned by the American Motorcyclist Association, are timed motorcycle runs set on roads, woods and fields across portions of the southern part of Elkhart County. The Turkey Gobbler Family Enduro is scheduled for Nov. 2, with the Turkey Creek Enduro set to follow Nov. 3. Additional information on the rallies can be found by visiting www.ridersmc.org.