• Never use a cooking range or oven to heat your home.
• Keep fire in your fireplace by using a glass or metal fire screen large enough to catch sparks and rolling logs.
If the power goes out, people should:
• Use flashlights for light, not candles.
• Keep the refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible. Check refrigerated food for spoilage and if in doubt, throw it out. Your refrigerator will keep cold for about four hours. If the freezer is full, it will keep its temperature for about 48 hours.
• Have coolers on hand and surround your food with ice in the cooler or refrigerator to keep food cold for a longer period of time. Keep the refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible.
• Turn off and unplug all unnecessary electrical equipment and any appliances, equipment or electronics to avoid damaging them when the power is restored.
• Avoid unnecessary travel as traffic lights will be out and roads congested.
• Watch animals and keep them under your direct control.
• If someone is planning to use a generator, never use it indoors, including in a garage, carport, basement, crawlspace or other area, even with ventilation. Generators put off carbon monoxide fumes, which can be deadly.
For more information on emergency preparedness, people can visit www.redcross.org/prepare.