Hazardous winter weather is arriving on Michiana’s doorsteps.
Heavy snow and extremely low temperatures are expected to create dangerous weather situations, Indiana Department of Homeland Security officials said Saturday.
IDHS officials suggest resident prepare for these conditions by:
• Purchasing a weather radio with a backup hand crank or battery power option to keep updated in the event of a power outage. Weather radios are commonly found at local hardware, home improvement or discount stores.
• Purchasing non-perishable food items and bottled water for both the home and any vehicles. Food that does not need to be cooked can go a long way in a power outage.
• Checking all medications and consider filling prescriptions, if possible. Travel to a pharmacy once snow, wind and low temperatures arrive may be hazardous.
• Having extra blankets in addition to coats or jackets, socks and other warm clothing in vehicles and homes. Keep a flashlight with extra batteries nearby.
Just like the home, it is important to prepare vehicles for severe winter weather conditions, IDHS officials said. Again, take steps before weather arrives to ensure the safety of vehicles.
• Fill the gas tanks of all vehicles you own. Low temperatures can quickly freeze gas lines, especially if the tank is near empty.
• If necessary, run the vehicle’s engine for a few minutes as needed throughout the day. This helps keep the engine and fuel lines warm and prevents freezing.
• Gather preparedness supplies for vehicles in case travel is necessary. Such supplies should include bottled water, extra blankets, a flashlight with extra batteries, and chargers for cell phones and mobile devices.
Homeland Security officials caution motorists to be aware of their surroundings and know of road conditions before traveling.
Monitor local media throughout the day to keep up to date on the latest weather forecast. Local media will also provide reports on school and business closures. Many media outlets and the National Weather Service have notification systems that work with smart phones.