Goshen News, Goshen, IN

Local News

August 22, 2013

Teen trio’s fate in jury’s hands

GOSHEN — At 2:30 p.m. Oct. 3, 2012, Rodney Scott woke up from a nap at his Elkhart home. Then his life changed.

Three young men are on trial due to the shooting death of Danzele Johnson. Scott pulled the trigger, and jurors in Elkhart Circuit Court Thursday heard Scott’s side of the story.

Later that day, the jury began deliberations in the case. After hearing final instructions from Circuit Court Judge Terry Shewmaker, the group left the courtroom at 6:18 p.m. to begin its work.

Scott fired several shots after intruders broke into his home Oct. 3. Johnson, a 21-year-old Goshen resident, was killed. Blake Layman, 17, Elkhart, was shot in the leg.

Prosecutors say Anthony Perez Sharp Jr., 19, Goshen, Jose Quiroz, 17, and Layman also entered the home while Levi Sparks, 18, Elkhart, served as a lookout outside. The three have been charged with felony murder. Under Indiana law, if someone dies during the commission of a felony, those who were engaged in the underlying felony can be charged in the person’s death.

Jurors were also told Thursday they had the option of finding the youths guilty of burglary, a lesser charge.

Quiroz, who lived across the street from Scott, late last year entered a guilty plea in the case. He received a 45-year sentence to the Indiana Department of Correction.

Elkhart County prosecutors did not charge Scott in connection with the shooting.

The break-in

Scott testified Thursday that on the day of the break-in, he woke up from a nap in his upstairs bedroom at 2:30 p.m.

“As soon as I sat up on the side of the bed, there was this ‘boom!’ and my whole house just shook,” he said. A second or two later Scott heard the noise again, and then heard it a third time.

“And I said, ‘My goodness,’” Scott recalled.

Scott told the jury his next-door neighbor’s home had been broken into a week or two prior. Scott picked up his cell phone when he heard the noises in his home. He also loaded his .9mm handgun — which he testified he’d never fired before — and went downstairs.

Scott walked quietly at first, then ran down the last set of steps to make noise. Downstairs, he saw someone run from the kitchen. He also saw two people — later determined to be Johnson and Quiroz — in the doorway of the bedroom.

“You see all these people in your house, you don’t know what’s going to happen to you,” Scott said in court.

Scott testified that he fired the handgun in the direction of the bedroom doorway. He said his goal had been to trap the intruders in the bedroom. Johnson and Quiroz ran into the bedroom, and into a closet. Scott dialed 911 and waited for police.

“I would shout at them ‘Keep the (closet) door closed,’” he said of the intruders. Scott said Quiroz told him his companion had been shot.

“I said, ‘What?” Scott recalled.

Scott said he didn’t see any weapons on the intruders, and they never directly threatened him. However, he indicated he felt threatened by the break-in itself.

“Anytime someone kicks in your door and enters your house, you feel threatened,” Scott said. He said during questioning that his memory of how many shots were fired and where they were fired is unclear.

On the witness stand, Scott said he had no intention of shooting anyone. He also talked about Johnson’s death.  

“I feel horrible about that because I don’t understand how it happened,” he said.

Closing arguments

After prosecutors rested their case, none of the three defendants testified. Defense attorneys called no witnesses.

During closing arguments, Deputy Prosecutor Peter Britton said a home is “one of the few places on Earth where we can feel safe and protected,” and people have a right to defend their homes by force. He said what happened Oct. 3 was a tragedy for Scott, the defendants and Johnson.

“But for the actions of all five (accused) individuals including the three defendants on trial today, Danzele Johnson would still be alive,” Britton said.

Defense attorney Mark Doty, representing Layman, said his client is guilty of burglary. He also said that none of the defendants are guilty of felony murder.

“They didn’t pull the trigger,” Doty said. “They didn’t kill Danzele Johnson.”

Doty also took a swipe at the prosecution for charging the defendants with felony murder in the first place and not burglary.

“They wanted to force you to go over the top and crush the youth of these kids,” he told jurors. Prosecutors objected to the Doty’s statement, and Judge Shewmaker ordered the jury to disregard it.

Defense attorneys have contended that the youths believed nobody was home at the time of the break-in.

1
Text Only
Local News
  • GN140730 Spore mug Charges filed against parents in Syracuse boy's death SYRACUSE — According to a story first reported by The Times-Union in Warsaw, the parents of a 12-year-old Syracuse boy are facing criminal charges as the result of their son's death in June. The Times-Union reported late Friday night that Candy Sue

    August 22, 2014 1 Photo

  • GN140823 new paris railroad crossing 01 Railroad crossing upgrades coming NEW PARIS — Significant safety upgrades are on their way for the Division Street railroad crossing in New Paris. That’s the word from Will Wingfield, a media relations representative with the Indiana Department of Transportation, who recently indicat

    August 22, 2014 1 Photo

  • Lifelong Learning fall courses announced GOSHEN — The Lifelong Learning Institute of Elkhart County is offering fall courses. These short courses are designed to provide stimulating and affordable classes in many fields for active seniors. There are no tests or grades, and no previous studies or degrees are required.

    August 22, 2014

  • Fresh shrimp business approved GOSHEN — Finding fresh shrimp in Elkhart County just got a little easier.

    August 21, 2014

  • NWS GN140822 john hertzel (2) John Hertzler relishes role with Goshen Historical Society GOSHEN — Visitors to the Goshen Historical Society’s museum might not know John Hertzler is there, tucked back in an office beyond the rows of historic documents, photographs and artifacts.

    August 21, 2014 2 Photos

  • South Ninth Street area under boil water order South Ninth Street, between East Jackson and Franklin streets in Goshen, is under a boil water order from noon until further notice.

    August 21, 2014

  • GN140821 Pike Street Project 2 INDOT meeting held to discuss Pike Street project GOSHEN — Major changes may be on the way for a small section of Pike Street in downtown Goshen.

    August 20, 2014 2 Photos

  • 0821 goshen college challenge Locals embrace ice bucket challenge It’s a challenge that has united participants with the shared sensation of an icy burst of water, sopping wet clothing and video evidence — all in the name of philanthropy.

    August 20, 2014 1 Photo

  • GN140821 nisly complaint Complaint filed against state rep candidate Accusations of wrongdoing, in the form of a complaint to the Indiana Election Commission, have been levied against District 22 representative Republican nominee Curt Nisly.

    August 20, 2014 1 Photo

  • GN140820 dometic groundbreaking Dometic breaks ground on significant expansion in Goshen GOSHEN — As Dometic officials gathered for a groundbreaking ceremony for the $7 million expansion of their Goshen distribution center Wednesday, the work was already underway in the background. “It’s happening right now,” said Dave Schutz, vice presi

    August 20, 2014 1 Photo

Parade
Magazine

Click HERE to read all your Parade favorites including Hollywood Wire, Celebrity interviews and photo galleries, Food recipes and cooking tips, Games and lots more.
Poll

Three Goshen elementary schools — Chandler, Chamberlain and West Goshen — are providing free meals to all students during the school year as part of the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Community Eligibility Provision of the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010. Nearly 80 percent of students at Chandler, 89 percent of students at Chamberlain and 78 percent of students at West Goshen already qualify for free or reduced-price lunches based on their family income. How do you feel about the new lunch program?

I think it’s a good idea to feed all the students free of charge
I think those who can afford it should pay for their school meals
I think all students should be required to pay for their school meals
     View Results
AP Video
Furry Roommates: Dorms Allowing Cats and Dogs Chase Rice Defends Bro-Country 'Jersey Shore Massacre' Pokes Fun at MTV Series Raw: Wash. Mudslides Close Roads, Trap Motorists DC's Godfather of Go-Go Honored Ukraine Calls Russian Convoy a 'direct Invasion' Girl Meets Her 'one in the World' Match Coal Gas Boom in China Holds Climate Risks Japan Landslide Rescuers Struggle in Heavy Rain Raw: Severe Floods, Fire Wrecks Indiana Homes Endangered Red Wolves Face Uncertain Future Raw: Russian Aid Convoy Arrives in Ukraine Okla. Policeman Accused of Sex Assaults on Duty Dominican Republic Bans Miley Cyrus Concert Raw: Israeli Air Strike in Gaza Raw: Bodies of MH17 Victims Arrive in Malaysia Attorney: Utah Eatery Had Other Chemical Burn