Goshen News, Goshen, IN

Local News

April 19, 2013

Formal charges yet to be filed in north side shooting

GOSHEN — Police continue to investigate a north side Goshen shooting, Elkhart County prosecutors said Thursday. They also said formal charges have yet to be filed against the young people arrested in connection to the crime.

Goshen police were called to a report of a drive-by shooting around 9:30 p.m. Sunday in the area of Middlebury and School streets. Four young people were hurt, and each was treated and released from IU Health Goshen Hospital.

Police subsequently arrested five teenagers in connection with the shooting.

State law requires police to submit information supporting an arrest — probable cause — to a judicial officer within 48 hours of the arrest. Prosecutors said Goshen police officers submitted information from their investigation to a judicial officer Wednesday. That judicial officer reviewed the information and declined to find probable cause for arrest for the crimes articulated by police.

Elkhart County prosecutors said Goshen police reviewed their investigative materials and made another presentation, late Wednesday, to the judicial officer. The judicial officer then determined there was sufficient probable cause to support the arrests of four people:

• Diego Ramos, 19, 57785 Portland Ave., Elkhart, held on preliminary charges of attempted murder, a Class A felony, and criminal gang activity, a Class D felony.

• Abraham Delgado, 16, 1020 Lucerne Drive, Goshen, attempted battery with a deadly weapon, a Class C felony, and criminal gang activity, a Class D felony.

• Christian Bueno-Resendiz, 16, 109 W. Douglas St., Goshen, criminal gang activity and assisting a criminal, both Class D felonies.

• Alejandro Bueno, 16, 811 Emerson St., Goshen, criminal gang activity, a Class D felony.

In addition, prosecutors said a 15-year-old has been detained by the Juvenile Court, with a hearing scheduled for Thursday. Earlier this week, Goshen police reported the arrest of Jonathan Delgado, 15, 1020 Lucerne Drive, Goshen, related to the north side shooting.

After probable cause is determined by a judicial officer, prosecutors have 72 hours to decide whether or not to file criminal charges.

Materials documenting the initial Goshen police investigation have been turned in to county prosecutor’s office. Prosecutors also said Thursday that further investigation by Goshen police “is necessary and ongoing.”

1
Text Only
Local News
Parade
Magazine

Click HERE to read all your Parade favorites including Hollywood Wire, Celebrity interviews and photo galleries, Food recipes and cooking tips, Games and lots more.
Poll

Goshen City Council member Dixie Robinson is asking residents to make an effort to clean up their yards this spring. The city’s Dial-A-Truck program is available to haul trash away. Do you think there are more unsightly properties in Goshen this year than five years ago?

Yes, I have noticed more problem properties
No, I have not noticed more problems
I think the problems are about the same as always
     View Results
AP Video
Raw: Royal Couple Visits Australia Mountains Raw: Pro-Russian Militants Killed on Base Captain of Sunken South Korean Ferry Apologizes Boston Bombing Survivors One Year Later Sister of Slain MIT Officer Reflects on Bombing Raw: Blast at Tennessee Ammunition Plant Kills 1 Hoax Bomb Raises Anxiety in Boston Egypt Clamps Down on Mosques to Control Message After Fukushima, Japan Eyes Solar Power New York Auto Show Highlights Latest in Car Tech Ex-California City Leader Gets 12 Year Sentence Disbanding Muslim Surveillance Draws Praise Hundreds Missing After South Korean Ferry Sinks Passengers Abuzz After Plane Hits Swarm of Bees Town, Victims Remember Texas Blast At Boston Marathon, a Chance to Finally Finish Are School Dress Codes Too Strict?