- PASTOR'S PEN: Introduce God into those cold conversations It’s cold! That’s not only the reality and the talk around town, but it’s also what I have to hear my wife say every single time we get in the car.
DIRT ON GARDENING: Looking for shade-loving plants? Try these
Who says there’s not much choice in shade-loving plants?
Winter weather brings out the best in people
While winter is known as a dark, dreary season that makes a lot of people unhappy, I've found that when you're in need there are plenty of people willing to step up and help. It shows what a good community we live in.
- WHOLE FAMILY: Have you ever noticed just how much we consider what we like? And don't like? Really, we talk about it all the time. And if social media proves my assertion, I venture the "like" option on Facebook is the most frequented mouse click on the Internet.
- THE NATURALIZED MID-AMERICAN: A relationship with nature should not only be celebrated in fairytales Recently, my wife and I and the kids watched “Cinderella” for the 12th — or 15th or 20th — time. I really paid attention this time to the fact that Cinderella talks with the animals and they talk with her.
- WHOLE FAMILY: Feeling the pain of a senseless act of violence Stunned. Still processing. Still don't know all the facts, let alone the bigger answers like, "Why?" or worse, "What if I had been there? What if my children had been there?" The Martin's Super Market on East Bristol Street in Elkhart was the site of
- NOT THAT YOU ASKED, BUT...: When it snows, bring on the neighbor kids As I sit here writing this column, snow is swirling outside my window. More snow. Seriously? We have had more winter these first weeks of 2014 than we’ve had in the last couple of years throughout the entire season, I think. And I am ready to become a snowbird.
Future of island's wolves is iffy
Scientists have a large collection of moose antlers at their Isle Royale research station. (Photo by Roger Schneider)
Scientists are trying to decide if wolves on Isle Royale should be left to fend for themselves.
- ASK A VET: Urinary problem needs diagnostics DEAR DR. WELDY’S: My friend’s dog has been urinating blood off and on for several months and has been treating him for a urinary tract infection with antibiotics.
- Merry Lea to host women’s spirituality retreat WOLF LAKE -- Merry Lea Environmental Learning Center of Goshen College will host its second women's spirituality retreat, "Witness through Storytelling," from Jan. 31 to Feb. 1. The retreat will begin at 7:30 p.m. that Friday evening and end mid-afte
- More Life Headlines