- NOT THAT YOU ASKED, BUT ...: Stranger from New York finds second home in Goshen I used to have a co-worker and friend who would look at me sometimes and declare, "You've been here too long." It was a private joke between us as we were both East Coasters, born and raised in New York. She had moved to Goshen from Connecticut for a
YOU'VE GOT A BETTER IDEA?: We'll miss you, Lou
Lou Reed is shown performing at the Lollapalooza music festival in Chicago in this 2009 photo.
The latest issue of Rolling Stone arrived at my house the other day. And on the cover of the Rolling Stone was Lou Reed.
- ASK THE SHERIFF: 'Stop and Frisk' has stringent guidelines DEAR SHERIFF: "Stop and Frisk" by officers has been in the news lately. What exactly is "Stop and Frisk"? READER: The Fourth Amendment of the United States Constitution and Article 1, Section 11 of the Indiana Constitution protects us from government
- GROUNDS FOR INSANITY: Heaven shines down during death of neighbor "It looks like heaven's shining down." That's what he says, my little boy with eyes of clearest blue. It's Sunday morning, and we're on our way to church. I look up, to the left, and sure enough. In a sky covered over with a blanket of gray, I see it
- WHOLE FAMILY: Car-seat safety should be on the minds of parents In April 2012, I wrote a column noting my decisions to have my babies as close and visible to me in a vehicle as safely and legally possible — like putting my toddler in a forward-facing car seat the minute he was ready to be there.
- Enough is provided for all living things on earth I was watching leaves fall from a sugar maple tree. Dry, a little curled at the tips, mottled yellow, they fell one at a time from the tip of a twig where they spent the whole summer. They turned a few times in the air as they came down, past larger
- Tricks and treats are year-round It wasn't a holiday we celebrated, exactly. After all, life here was a succession of their tricks and my treats. It was just how we rolled on The Three. With four sons, the trick factor was through the roof. Oddly, this seemed to bring a concurrent d
- WHOLE FAMILY: It's another potpourri week. That means ruminative vignettes from me. Here goes: Every so often I have an "Aha!" moment. I used to call it a "revelation," but I think it's less about something having been revealed to me and more about me -- finally,
- Religion is not important to everybody A discussion of global faiths should not ignore the growing number of people in the modern Western world and elsewhere who claim to be nonreligious, whether just secular or decidedly anti-religious. They make up a growing percentage of the U.S. popul
WHOLE FAMILY: Clinic will make strong community stronger
The ceremonial ribbon was cut a week ago, but the Community Health Clinic (CHC) in Topeka has been doing new things since September already.
- More Life Headlines