Goshen News, Goshen, IN

Letters to the Editor

October 28, 2012

Where does the money really go?

Is it any wonder that Goshen Mayor Allan Kauffman wants to charge the taxpayers of Goshen for trash pickup? By charging a fee (tax) to cover a part of the trash, pickup cost, he will have more money to pay the 20 percent for projects that he determines to be for the Quality of Life for the taxpayers.

When Goshen used federal funds for a project, the federal government (we the taxpayers) normally pays 80 percent of the project, leaving 20 percent to be paid by local government (again, we the taxpayers).

It appears that the mayor’s vision of quality of life issues is bicycle trails, tunnels, restoring old buildings, building brick parking lots and adding a gravel pit to the park system for a small minority of people rather than furnishing quality of life to the majority of citizens who feel trash pickup adds to their quality of life.

Since 2001, and ending in 2013, the cost to city taxpayers has been $1,597,761 for the 20 percent share. The federal (taxpayer money) has been more than $8.5 million While some of these projects have been worthwhile, some have been a waste of taxpayer’s dollars.

Consider the Monroe Street Bike Path scheduled to be built in 2013. This path is to be used primarily by fairgoers for 10 days each year. Meanwhile, you are asking all residents of Goshen to pay for trash pickup.

It only makes sense to quit spending money for these feel-good projects if you cannot fund projects that benefit all citizens.

— Ed Bradford

Goshen


 

1
Text Only
Letters to the Editor
Parade
Magazine

Click HERE to read all your Parade favorites including Hollywood Wire, Celebrity interviews and photo galleries, Food recipes and cooking tips, Games and lots more.
AP Video
Furry Roommates: Dorms Allowing Cats and Dogs Chase Rice Defends Bro-Country 'Jersey Shore Massacre' Pokes Fun at MTV Series Raw: Wash. Mudslides Close Roads, Trap Motorists DC's Godfather of Go-Go Honored Ukraine Calls Russian Convoy a 'direct Invasion' Girl Meets Her 'one in the World' Match Coal Gas Boom in China Holds Climate Risks Japan Landslide Rescuers Struggle in Heavy Rain Raw: Severe Floods, Fire Wrecks Indiana Homes Endangered Red Wolves Face Uncertain Future Raw: Russian Aid Convoy Arrives in Ukraine Okla. Policeman Accused of Sex Assaults on Duty Dominican Republic Bans Miley Cyrus Concert Raw: Israeli Air Strike in Gaza Raw: Bodies of MH17 Victims Arrive in Malaysia Attorney: Utah Eatery Had Other Chemical Burn
Poll

Three Goshen elementary schools — Chandler, Chamberlain and West Goshen — are providing free meals to all students during the school year as part of the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Community Eligibility Provision of the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010. Nearly 80 percent of students at Chandler, 89 percent of students at Chamberlain and 78 percent of students at West Goshen already qualify for free or reduced-price lunches based on their family income. How do you feel about the new lunch program?

I think it’s a good idea to feed all the students free of charge
I think those who can afford it should pay for their school meals
I think all students should be required to pay for their school meals
     View Results