ELKHART — Auditions for the upcoming Premier Arts production of “Hairspray” are planned next week at The Lerner Theatre, 410 S. Main St., Elkhart.
Try-outs are scheduled for 6 p.m. Tuesday and 1 p.m. May 31. The entrance is off Franklin Street by the truck dock.
Thirty women and 30 men are needed for the mainstage production, and 30 girls and 30 boys ages 14 and younger are needed for the youth production.
A synopsis of “Hairspray” reads, in part:
“It’s 1962 in Baltimore, and the lovable plus-size teen Tracy Turnblad has only one desire — to dance on the popular Corny Collins Show. When her dream comes true, Tracy is transformed from social outcast to sudden star. She must use her newfound power to dethrone the reigning Teen Queen, win the affections of heartthrob Link Larkin and integrate a TV network, all without denting her ‘do.”
The cast of characters includes:
• Amber Von Tussle — Link’s girlfriend and Tracy’s nemesis.
• Corny Collins — the charismatic host of the Corny Collins Show.
• Edna Turnblad — Tracy’s big and blonde mother, she’s boisterous and commanding (played by a male in drag). In the mainstage show, Edna will be played by Premier Arts Executive Artistic Director Craig Gibson.
• Ensemble — Students, protesters, Corny Collins’ kids, etc.
• Link Larkin — The star heartthrob on Corny Collins’ show.
• Motormouth Maybelle — Seaweed and Little Inez’s mother. Big, blonde, beautiful and proud of it, she’s sassy and confident.
• Penny Pingleton — Tracy’s best friend and dorky sidekick.
• Prudy Pingleton — Penny’s strict mother. Conservative and closed-minded.
• Seaweed J. Stubbs — Tracy’s classmate and friend, who is discriminated against due to his skin color. He’s cocky but lovable, and talented in song and dance.
• Tracy Turnblad — the story’s protagonist, she’s “large and in charge,” confident, talented and determined.