David Smith was talking about a process.
“When you seek a headliner, when you seek a name, you want to seek a name that’s got some ‘household’ value,” said Smith, co-chairman of the Elkhart Jazz Festival. “... You want to seek a name that’s going to pique everyone’s ears.”
So the organizers of the 2013 Jazz Festival sought — and found.
The Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis is the marquee act at this year’s festival. The ensemble will perform Saturday at 8 p.m. in The Lerner Theatre.
Part of the musically renowned Marsalis family, Wynton Marsalis was born in 1961 in New Orleans. He joined the Jazz Messengers in 1980 to study under drummer and bandleader Art Blakey. The following year, he put together his own band and commenced touring.
Marsalis also conducted workshops. A short list of his pupils includes James Carter, Roy Hargrove and Harry Connick Jr.
The awards Marsalis has garnered in his career attest to his skill as a genre-crosser. In 1983, he became the only musician ever to score Grammy Awards for both jazz and classical releases. He repeated that feat the following year. Marsalis has earned nine Grammys in total, and is the sole musician ever to win Grammys in five straight years (1983 to 1987).
Marsalis also broke new ground in 1997, when he was the first jazz artist to ever win the Pulitzer Prize for music. This honor was for his oratorio “Blood on the Fields.”
In addition, the musician is an author. Marsalis has written five books, including “To a Young Musician: Letters from the Road” and “Moving to Higher Ground: How Jazz Can Change Your Life.”
Marsalis co-founded and became artistic director for Jazz at Lincoln Center and music director for the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra in 1987.
The information for this article was largely taken from the website wyntonmarsalis.org.
David Smith was talking about a process.
First Fridays theme is 'Live & Local'
Music: This month, it’s the main thing.
“Live & Local” is the theme for the March First Fridays in Goshen. Local and regional musicians will be performing in a host of downtown venues.
- We have 'Company' BRISTOL -- The Elkhart Civic Theatre crew will present Stephen Sondheim's musical comedy "Company" at the Bristol Opera House starting this weekend. "Company" will be performed Friday and Saturday and March 14, 15, 21 and 22 at 8 p.m., with a matinee
- LIBRARY NEWS: 'Shakespeare' in LaGrange “Ozzie & Harriet & Shakespeare: An Evening with Hamlet” is planned at the library Tuesday.
- Solo recital set at GC March 9 GOSHEN -- Mary Rose Norell, a Community School of the Arts piano instructor, will present a solo piano recital in the Goshen College Music Center's Rieth Recital Hall March 9. The recital will begin at 4 p.m. Norell, a former student in Goshen Colleg
- GC Women's World choir to perform The Goshen College Women’s World Music Choir will conclude its spring break tour with a “home concert” in the Music Center’s Sauder Concert Hall Sunday at 7:30 p.m.
- Puppet project planned Nappanee Public Library 157 N Main St., Nappanee, 773-7919 www.nappanee.lib.in.us Children are invited to make a spoon puppet in celebration of the upcoming "Something on a Stick Day" at the Nappanee library March 8. Materials for the free make-and-
- Choir festival set GOSHEN -- The 23rd annual Mennonite Youth Choir Festival is scheduled for March 1 and 2 at Goshen College. Around 150 singers from across Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois and Pennsylvania are expected to take part in the event. The festival is desi
- Air Supply to perform at Lerner Theatre The Supply is coming full circle. Air Supply is set to perform at The Lerner Theatre in downtown Elkhart. And Russell Hitchcock and Graham Russell — the principal duo in the musical combo — met by way of theater nearly 40 years ago.
GC radio station up for broadcasting awards
GOSHEN — Goshen College’s student-run radio station, 91.1 FM The Globe (WGCS), is in the running for the Intercollegiate Broadcasting System’s (IBS) “Best College Radio Station in the Nation” for the fourth year in a row. WGCS received a total of eig
Aaron Neville to headline at Elkhart Jazz Festival
Musician Aaron Neville will headline the Saturday night performance at the Elkhart Jazz Festival June 20-22.
- More Entertainment Headlines
- First Fridays theme is 'Live & Local'