Children removed from home, man arrested
Two small children were removed from the residence of Gary Lamar Pletcher, 42, 22061 C.R. 28, Goshen, and taken into the custody of their mother after Pletcher was arrested by Elkhart County police at 3:17 a.m. Wednesday.
Pletcher was convicted of manslaughter in 1988, which makes him a violent felon.
According to police, a search warrant was completed at the residence and several long rifles and marijuana were seized.
Pletcher was booked into Elkhart County jail.
• A driver complained of head pain after a two-vehicle collision at Arlene Street, west of U.S. 33 in Elkhart.
According to Elkhart County police, the crash occurred at 5:44 p.m. Tuesday. Kennadie Lopez, 18, Elkhart was driving a 2005 Ford Escape east when she lost control and slid into the 2010 Mini Cooper driven by Darlene Eichelberger, 30, Goshen. Lopez was transported to Elkhart General Hospital and ticketed on conditions requiring a reduced speed.
• A driver was transported to IU Health Goshen Hospital for back pain after his 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix was rear-ended in a two-car collision at U.S. 20 and Ind. 15.
The crash occurred at 4:59 a.m. Thursday.
According to Elkhart County police, Matthew H. Kidd, 41, Millersburg, was driving a 1999 BMW 3231 westbound on U.S. 20, near Ind. 15. Scott A. Lynch, 34, Middlebury, stopped in the inside lane waiting for the light to turn green. Kidd was behind a semi and didn’t see Lynch still stopped when the light changed, police reported. An officer ticketed Kidd for unsafe speed to avoid a collision.
• An employee of D&T Muffler, 233 S. Main St., Goshen, told Goshen police someone attempted to enter the business between 5 p.m. Friday and Tuesday.
• David T. Vantress of Goshen told Goshen police someone pried open and broke the passenger window on his vehicle in The Goshen News parking area at 114 S. Main St. Wednesday. A TomTom GPS was stolen.
• A 16-year-old juvenile told Goshen police someone stole his coat from the Boys and Girls Club, 306 Crescent St., Goshen, around 6:09 p.m. Tuesday.
• Ki Zukowsky, 713 S. Main St., Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole items from his residence Tuesday.
• Nicholas Thrasher, 210 E. Lincoln Ave., Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole his wallet and the contents inside and medication from his residence between midnight and 10:30 a.m. Wednesday.
• Dwight Kortie of Middlebury told Goshen police someone stole his wife’s purse from the waiting room at a doctor’s office, 1814 Charlton Court, Goshen between 10:45 and 11:15 a.m. Wednesday.
Welfare check reports
• A 37-year-old Goshen resident told Goshen police a girl rang his doorbell asking for help in the 1600 block of South Main Street, Goshen, around 1:05 a.m. Thursday.
Police took the girl to IU Health Goshen Hospital and treated for intoxication and being cold. Police learned the juvenile was a runaway from Elkhart County. The parent was notified and picked up the juvenile.
• David P. Cain, 38, 218 W. Wilden Ave., Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of battery resulting in serious bodily injury and domestic battery at 11 p.m. Saturday.
• Elkhart County police received a report of a 14-year-old male being battered by another male at Fairfield Junior-Senior High School, 67530 U.S. 33, Goshen, at approximately 9:50 a.m. Jan. 23. Police said the investigation is ongoing.
False reporting/informing reports
• A Concord Community Schools student made nine 911 calls to the Elkhart County Public Service Communication Center on a cell phone from a school bus in transit between 8:36 and 8:43 a.m. Tuesday.
Elkhart County police and school staff verified there was no incident at the elementary school. Police and school officials are continuing the investigation.
Failure to register arrests
• Jeffery Springer, 47, 53179 Pine Drive, Middlebury, was arrested Monday by Elkhart County police on a charge of failure to register as required by Indiana law. He was booked into the county jail.
• Gabriel Marquez-Montano, 27, 221 Rue Bossuet Apt. 2001, South Bend, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of driving with a suspended driver’s license at 11:32 p.m. Tuesday.
He was stopped at 4000 Elkhart Road in Goshen after reportedly disregarding a stop sign at 2200 Reith Boulevard.
He was released with a memorandum to appear in court and ticketed for disregarding a stop sign.
• Alejandro Hernandez, 20, 628 N. Main St., Goshen, was arrested by Elkhart County police on a charge of never obtaining a valid driver’s license at 3:15 p.m. Wednesday.
Police said he was stopped for traffic violations near the intersection of C.R. 17 and Reith Boulevard and incarcerated at the Elkhart County Jail.
• Ganesh Iyer, 37, 3086 Bridlewood Drive, Rochester, Mich., was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of public intoxication after a traffic stop for an improper U-turn was made in the 200 block of S. Main St., Goshen, at 12:24 a.m. Thursday. He was incarcerated at the Elkhart County Jail.