THE GOSHEN NEWS
A second man has been arrested in connection with a double murder at an Elkhart convenience store.
Elkhart police said they have arrested Richard Carl Gross, 22, of Elkhart, on a charge of murder. Police said they made the arrest Friday at 8:30 p.m. in the 26000 block of Leland Road.
Gross is being charged in the murders of Jagtar Bhatti, 55, and Pawan Singh, 20, who were found shot to death inside Saleh’s Market, 410 Middlebury St., on Sept. 5 at 9:33 a.m.
The next day police arrested Kevin Moore, 28, Elkhart on charges of murder in the case.
A motorcyclist received injuries in a single-vehicle crash Thursday at C.R. 36, east of U.S. 33 in Goshen. The crash occurred at 11:11 p.m.
According to Elkhart County police, Kacey Otterbridge, 34, Elkhart, was riding a 2011 motorcycle and lost control. He fell from the motorcycle, causing injury to himself and the motorcycle. He was transported to IU Health Goshen Hospital for treatment.
Jury convicts Jose Rodriguez
A former Elkhart County businessman, Jose Bobby Rodriguez, was sentenced to 40 years in prison in Superior Court 3 Sept. 5, according to the Elkhart County Prosecutor’s Office. An Elkhart County jury found him guilty on charges of molesting a child. He will be incarcerated at the Indiana Department of Corrections.
Also in Superior Court 3, Efren Mendoza Vargas, 37, Elkhart, was found guilty by a jury of dealing in methamphetamine, maintaining a common nuisance and possession of marijuana. He faces up to 56 years in prison.
• Rodolfo Negrete-Hernandez, Ligonier, told Goshen police someone has been working in Goshen using his personal information since Oct. 1, 2011.
• Sheldon Birdsall, Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole a 20-inch Briggs and Stratton lawn mower and a Yardman weed eater from the shed at 612 E. Plymouth Ave., Goshen, sometime Sept. 2. The items belong to the United Steel Workers.
• Sarah Johnson, 205 W. Oakridge Ave., Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole a washer and dryer from her property at 4:01 p.m. Friday.
• Jacob Callahan, 21, 201 Crescent St., Goshen, and Kyle Bassett, 27, no address, were arrested in the 200 block of South Seventh St., Goshen at 12:49 a.m. Saturday. Callahan was arrested on a charge of theft of a bicycle. Bassett was arrested on a charge of assisting a criminal. They were both transported to the Elkhart County jail.
Vandalism/criminal mischief reports
• Roy Pickler, a painter working at 2616 Peddler’s Village Road, Goshen, told Goshen police, someone painted graffiti on the outside of the building during the overnight hours Thursday.
• Leroy H. Zartman, 54, 430 W. Pike St., Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of public intoxication in the 400 block of W. Pike Street at 1:05 p.m. Friday. He was incarcerated at the Elkhart County jail.
• Sean Morcombe, 32, 408 Winter Ave., Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of operating a vehicle while intoxicated in the 2000 block of Elkhart Road after being stopped for speeding and failing to signal lane change at 1:52 a.m. Saturday. He was transported to the Elkhart County jail.