Driver critically injured in crash
A 45-year-old man was airlifted in critical condition after a vehicle crash Friday night southeast of Syracuse.
The crash took place around 6 p.m. Kosciusko County police said a pick-up truck driven by Javiar Lopez, 45, Cromwell, was headed south on C.R. 1000 East. The driver of a vehicle stopped at C.R. 1050 North pulled out into the path of Lopez’s truck.
Police said Lopez tried to swerve to avoid a collision with the other vehicle. His truck went off the east side of C.R. 1000 East and rolled over, striking a utility pole. Lopez was ejected.
Police said Lopez was airlifted from the scene by Samaritan helicopter to Parkview Regional Medical Center, Fort Wayne, with head and leg injuries. Lopez’s front-seat passenger, Miguel Sanchez, 30, Syracuse, was airlifted to Parkview with serious leg injuries.
Witnesses told police the driver of the other vehicle left the scene shortly after the pick-up truck crashed.
Lopez was listed in serious condition Saturday night at Parkview, and Sanchez was listed in fair condition.
Goshen police were called to the 2100 block of Sheridan Drive around 8 a.m. Friday regarding a loose dog that was acting aggressively. The animal was captured and taken to the Elkhart County Humane Society facility. The dog’s owner was issued a written warning for violating Goshen’s loose dog ordinance.
• Susan Guipe of Goshen told city police Friday that someone stole her mother-in-law’s yard ornament, a copper/brass eagle weathervane, from her back yard at 412 S. Sixth St.
• Vicki Bolen, 53, 507 W. Countyline Road, Lot 1, Wolcottville, was arrested at Walmart, 2304 Lincolnway East, Goshen, on charges of theft and battery Friday. Bolen was transported to the Elkhart County jail.
• Goshen police responded to a burglary alarm at Monteith Tire, 1021 N. Greene Road, around 11:21 p.m. Friday. Police said someone had forced entry into the building, which was found to be empty when officers searched it.
Vandalism/criminal mischief reports
• Lori Atkinson told Goshen police someone punctured a rear tire on her vehicle early Friday morning. The vandalism took place at 217 Tanglewood Drive.
Driver critically injured in crash
- Police News
- Dog stolen from humane society Someone stole a dog from the Humane Society of Elkhart County, 54687 C.R. 19, Bristol this week.
- ASK THE SHERIFF: Can an officer stop a person for openly carrying a firearm? DEAR SHERIFF: Do officers have a right to stop/detain me merely because I openly carry a firearm? Can they ask me to display my handgun carry license? Do I need to carry my handgun license with me when I carry? ANSWER: In a prior column I addressed t
- Several thefts reported to police • Jesus Hernandez, 18, 213 Tanglewood Drive, told Goshen police someone tried to steal his mo-ped at his home Tuesday. The incident occurred around 5:30 p.m.
- POLICE NEWS: Millersburg convenience store clerk robbed at gunpoint A Millersburg clerk was robbed at gunpoint Monday night, police reported. Millersburg Town Marshal Keith Hathaway said the robbery occurred at 7:45 p.m. at Simars Convenience Store, 206 N. Benton St. (Ind. 13). Two white males entered the store and r
Millersburg convenience store clerk robbed at gunpoint
A Millersburg clerk was robbed at gunpoint Monday night, police reported.
Teen reaches plea deal in 2010 Enchanted Hills killing
An Indiana youth who was sentenced to 25 years after pleading guilty at age 12 to helping kill a friend's stepfather could leave prison as early as next year.
- Two break-ins reported Police investigated calls of break-ins recently.
- Fatal crash remains under investigation Elkhart County police continue to investigate a Nov. 20 crash that claimed the life of a Ligonier man. Investigators are seeking information about another vehicle that might have been in the area at the time of the collision.
Police: Vehicle in fatal crash was traveling at more than 100 mph
Elkhart County police continue to investigate a Nov. 20 crash that claimed the life of a Ligonier man.
- No cause yet for Friday blaze No cause has been determined in the blaze firefighters say heavily damaged a home northeast of Goshen Friday night.
- More Police News Headlines