Driver critically injured in crash
A 45-year-old man was airlifted in critical condition after a vehicle crash Friday night southeast of Syracuse.
The crash took place around 6 p.m. Kosciusko County police said a pick-up truck driven by Javiar Lopez, 45, Cromwell, was headed south on C.R. 1000 East. The driver of a vehicle stopped at C.R. 1050 North pulled out into the path of Lopez’s truck.
Police said Lopez tried to swerve to avoid a collision with the other vehicle. His truck went off the east side of C.R. 1000 East and rolled over, striking a utility pole. Lopez was ejected.
Police said Lopez was airlifted from the scene by Samaritan helicopter to Parkview Regional Medical Center, Fort Wayne, with head and leg injuries. Lopez’s front-seat passenger, Miguel Sanchez, 30, Syracuse, was airlifted to Parkview with serious leg injuries.
Witnesses told police the driver of the other vehicle left the scene shortly after the pick-up truck crashed.
Lopez was listed in serious condition Saturday night at Parkview, and Sanchez was listed in fair condition.
Goshen police were called to the 2100 block of Sheridan Drive around 8 a.m. Friday regarding a loose dog that was acting aggressively. The animal was captured and taken to the Elkhart County Humane Society facility. The dog’s owner was issued a written warning for violating Goshen’s loose dog ordinance.
• Susan Guipe of Goshen told city police Friday that someone stole her mother-in-law’s yard ornament, a copper/brass eagle weathervane, from her back yard at 412 S. Sixth St.
• Vicki Bolen, 53, 507 W. Countyline Road, Lot 1, Wolcottville, was arrested at Walmart, 2304 Lincolnway East, Goshen, on charges of theft and battery Friday. Bolen was transported to the Elkhart County jail.
• Goshen police responded to a burglary alarm at Monteith Tire, 1021 N. Greene Road, around 11:21 p.m. Friday. Police said someone had forced entry into the building, which was found to be empty when officers searched it.
Vandalism/criminal mischief reports
• Lori Atkinson told Goshen police someone punctured a rear tire on her vehicle early Friday morning. The vandalism took place at 217 Tanglewood Drive.
Driver critically injured in crash
- Police News
- Man gets 80 years for threat on wife An Elkhart man who threatened to set his wife on fire has been sentenced to 80 years in prison.
- Police news: Several arrested on charges of drunken driving • Lori L. Ellis, 48, 12778 N. 300 East, Syracuse, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of driving while intoxicated at 1:35 a.m. Sunday. Ellis was stopped for a traffic stop at Dierdorff and Kercher Roads in Goshen for driving left of center and transported to the Elkhart County jail.
- Police/Rescue News: April 13, 2014 Area police made several arrests recently.
Goshen firefighters battle blaze at Brookside Manor
Goshen firefighters battled a blaze at a home in Brookside Manor Mobile Home Park this morning.
The residence is located along Orchid Avenue in the park on Goshen's northwest side.
- Police respond to report of stolen tools GOSHEN -- A man was taken to a mental health facility after police responded to threats he made to harm himself and others. Goshen police blocked off Fifth Street between Madison and Jefferson Friday afternoon. For public safety reasons, other resid
- Sweepstakes phone scam reported Elkhart County Sheriff’s deputies are receiving multiple reports of a phone scam where the caller reports to be from Publisher’s Clearing House.
- 3 Amish teachers suffer carbon monoxide poisoning but survive Authorities say three Amish school teachers escaped a small schoolhouse that had filled with carbon monoxide gas Tuesday. Topeka Fire Chief Stewart Bender says the three teachers lived in the school in a rural area of LaGrange County. Bender told The
Three Amish teachers escape carbon monoxide at school
Authorities say three Amish school teachers escaped a small schoolhouse that had filled with carbon monoxide gas Tuesday.
- Officers involved in Martin's shooting return to duty Two Elkhart police officers who shot gunman Sean Bair in the Martin's Super Market on Jan. 15, will return to active duty today. Officers Cody Skipper and Jason Tripp were taken off active duty while a review of their actions that night were complete
- Burglaries, thefts reported to police Several thefts and burglaries were reported to Goshen police recently:
- More Police News Headlines