Driver critically injured in crash
A 45-year-old man was airlifted in critical condition after a vehicle crash Friday night southeast of Syracuse.
The crash took place around 6 p.m. Kosciusko County police said a pick-up truck driven by Javiar Lopez, 45, Cromwell, was headed south on C.R. 1000 East. The driver of a vehicle stopped at C.R. 1050 North pulled out into the path of Lopez’s truck.
Police said Lopez tried to swerve to avoid a collision with the other vehicle. His truck went off the east side of C.R. 1000 East and rolled over, striking a utility pole. Lopez was ejected.
Police said Lopez was airlifted from the scene by Samaritan helicopter to Parkview Regional Medical Center, Fort Wayne, with head and leg injuries. Lopez’s front-seat passenger, Miguel Sanchez, 30, Syracuse, was airlifted to Parkview with serious leg injuries.
Witnesses told police the driver of the other vehicle left the scene shortly after the pick-up truck crashed.
Lopez was listed in serious condition Saturday night at Parkview, and Sanchez was listed in fair condition.
Goshen police were called to the 2100 block of Sheridan Drive around 8 a.m. Friday regarding a loose dog that was acting aggressively. The animal was captured and taken to the Elkhart County Humane Society facility. The dog’s owner was issued a written warning for violating Goshen’s loose dog ordinance.
• Susan Guipe of Goshen told city police Friday that someone stole her mother-in-law’s yard ornament, a copper/brass eagle weathervane, from her back yard at 412 S. Sixth St.
• Vicki Bolen, 53, 507 W. Countyline Road, Lot 1, Wolcottville, was arrested at Walmart, 2304 Lincolnway East, Goshen, on charges of theft and battery Friday. Bolen was transported to the Elkhart County jail.
• Goshen police responded to a burglary alarm at Monteith Tire, 1021 N. Greene Road, around 11:21 p.m. Friday. Police said someone had forced entry into the building, which was found to be empty when officers searched it.
Vandalism/criminal mischief reports
• Lori Atkinson told Goshen police someone punctured a rear tire on her vehicle early Friday morning. The vandalism took place at 217 Tanglewood Drive.
Driver critically injured in crash
- Police News
UPDATE: Westview student in critical condition after crash
A Westview High School student remained in critical condition Friday afternoon following a two-vehicle crash Thursday in LaGrange County.
Jaid Rex, 16, was listed in critical at Parkview Regional Medical Center in Fort Wayne. Her sister, Mikayla Rex, 18, was listed in fair condition Friday.
- Goshen resident reports burglary Goshen police reported recent theft and burglary incidents:
- Five arrested in Kosciusko drug bust Five people from Kosciusko County, including a 72-year-old man, have been arrested on felony drug charges.
- Middlebury meth lab busted Monday Police raided a suspected methamphetamine lab in Middlebury Monday.
Meth lab found in Middlebury
Police raided a suspected methamphetamine lab in Middlebury Monday.
Middlebury police went to a residence in Crystal Valley Mobile Home Park, 206 York Drive, around 12:30 p.m. regarding a possible lab, according to town Police Chief Mike McCloughen.
Man pleads guilty in Twin Pines home invasion
One of the men charged in connection with a November home invasion in Goshen has pleaded guilty to the crime.
Antoine A. McDuffie, 21, Elkhart, pleaded guilty in Elkhart Circuit Court Monday to Class B felony charges of armed robbery, burglary, criminal confinement and conspiracy to commit burglary.
- Goshen man held on drug-making charge David McNeal, 45, of 16 Roxbury Park, was arrested on a charge of manufacturing methamphetamine following a traffic stop near the intersection of Elkhart and Reliance roads in Goshen Saturday at 9:23 a.m. Police reported he was in possession of ingre
- One jailed after Ind. 15 wreck A Ligonier man was arrested after a one-vehicle crash just south of Goshen Wednesday night.
Man who robbed Bristol bank sentenced
A South Bend man has been sentenced for robbing a Bristol bank as well as a bank in Edwardsburg, Mich., last year.
Darius Witherspoon, 21, was sentenced in U.S. District Court in South Bend this week to nearly 13 years in prison with three years of supervised release.
- One hurt in Wednesday wreck Several motorists were injured in recent crashes responded to by local police:
- More Police News Headlines
- UPDATE: Westview student in critical condition after crash