STAFF AND WIRE REPORTS
Two motorists were injured in separate crashes north of Goshen Tuesday:
• A two-vehicle collision on U.S. 33 north of Ferndale Road left a driver injured.
The mishap occurred around 3:42 p.m. Elkhart County police said a 2000 Chevrolet Blazer driven by Jazmin Harper, 17, Elkhart, collided with the rear of a 1999 Pontiac Montana driven by Frances Troyer, 54, Elkhart.
Troyer suffered chest pain as a result of the crash and was transported to IU Health Goshen Hospital.
• A passenger was hurt in a two-vehicle crash at C.R.s 17 and 18.
The collision occurred around 3:46 p.m. Elkhart County police said a 1997 Toyota Corolla driven by Courtney Ekema, 21, Elkhart, collided with a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix driven by Zachary Miller, 23, Goshen.
A passenger in the Toyota, Joshua Ekema, 13, Elkhart, suffered bruising and swelling to his face as a result of the crash. He was transported to Elkhart General Hospital for treatment.
Police said Courtney Ekema was cited for failure to yield the right of way.
Man struck, killed by train
Police in northeastern Indiana say a man in a wheelchair was killed when he was struck by a train at a railroad crossing.
Kendallville Police Chief Rob Wiley says the man was taking the sidewalk over the crossing near the city’s downtown when he was hit by the freight train about 5:15 p.m. Tuesday.
The News Sun reports witnesses told police the railroad crossing gates were down across traffic lanes and that its warning lights and bells were working as the train approached in the city about 25 miles north of Fort Wayne.
The train stopped after the collision and remained there for hours while police investigated.
The identity of the man killed wasn’t immediately released.
• An employee of Dollar Tree, 4024 Elkhart Road, told Goshen police Tuesday that someone stole a pallet jack from the rear of the store.
• Daniel Jones of Goshen told Goshen police Tuesday that someone opened up Sprint cellular phone service in his name without permission.
• Amy Ubaldo of Goshen told Goshen police that someone stole her son’s Schwinn bicycle from the bicycle rack at Goshen High School, 401 Lincolnway East, during school hours Tuesday.