THE GOSHEN NEWS
The Elkhart County Sheriff’s Department responded to 56,598 calls in 2012, not including calls that required multiple officers, according to a statement released last week.
A breakdown of the types and number of calls responded to by the department in 2012 is as follows: loose dog (564); suspicious vehicle (1,030); vehicle crashes (3,035); assisting motorist (1,020); bat in house (4); debris in roadway (199); vehicle fire (11); incorrigible (492); railroad crossing problems (78); alarms (2,798); vehicle identification number checks (1,976); burglary/theft (2,518); homicide (4); domestic fights (1,308); suspicious person (1,060); rape (45); molestation (122); battery (766); and traffic stop (15,389).
According to the release, these calls were answered by an average of 37 patrol officers. The patrol division also has officers assigned to the Elkhart County Interdiction Covert Enforcement Unit.
The Detective Bureau had an average of 14 detectives that investigated 1,716 crimes ranging from criminal mischief to homicide, the release indicated.
• Charles Williams, 411 W. Wilden Ave., Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole a 50cc motorcycle and a scooter from his shed around 8 a.m. Feb. 5.
• Katrina Ruffner, 20, 1318 Columbus Drive, Elkhart, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of criminal conversion while employed at Walmart Supercenter, 2304 Lincolnway West, Goshen, around 10 a.m. Feb. 15. She was released on a memorandum to appear in court.
• Charles Williams, 411 W. Wilden Ave., Goshen, told Goshen police a 50cc motorcycle and a scooter were taken from his shed approximately two weeks ago.
• Javier Manzano-Rosales, 40, 2324 S. Main St., Elkhart, was arrested by Goshen police at 9:21 a.m. Tuesday at the intersection of Elkhart and Peddlers Village roads on charges of false informing, identity theft, forgery and operating a motor vehicle while never having received a license. He was booked into the county jail.
• Katrina Ruffner, 20, 1318 Columbus Drive, Elkhart, was arrested by Goshen police at 10 a.m. Friday while at Walmart Supercenter, 2304 Lincolnway E., Goshen, on a charge of theft. She was released on a memorandum to appear in court.
• Phillip Preston, Goshen, told Goshen police he received a call at 7:10 p.m. Tuesday advising him that he had won a large sum of money. He reportedly realized the call was a scam and contacted police.
Vandalism/criminal mischief reports
• Ronald Sherck, 55119 C.R. 31, Bristol, told Elkhart County police someone put two nails in the tires of his 2011 Jeep Liberty and poured an unknown substance into the fuel tank between 7 p.m. Sunday and 6 p.m. Monday.
Leaving scene of accident report
• Alvarnaz Moore of Goshen told Elkhart County police someone collided with his parked 2008 Dodge Nitro and fled the scene at 65781 Sourwood Drive, Goshen around 5:40 a.m. Monday.
• Javier Manzano-Rosales, 40, 2324 S. Main St., Elkhart, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of false informing, operating a motor vehicle without a valid driver’s license, identity theft and forgery during a traffic stop at Elkhart Road and Peddler’s Village in Goshen for equipment violations at 9:21 a.m. Tuesday. He was transported to Elkhart County Jail.
• Miriam Carmona-Regalado, 27, 417 N. Second St., Goshen, was arrested by Elkhart County police at 4:36 p.m. Tuesday at the intersection of C.R. 13 and C.R. 45 on a charge of operating a motor vehicle while never having received a license. She was booked into the county jail.
• Neal Ryan Minnick, 32, 202 E. Washington St., Syracuse, was arrested by Elkhart County police on a charge of methamphetamine, precursors, hypodermic needles and paraphernalia after found in his vehicle on C.R. 37, south of U.S. 6 in Syracuse at 6:12 a.m. Tuesday. He was incarcerated at the Elkhart County Jail.
• Joshua Parkins, 31, 202-2 S. Main St., Elkhart, was arrested by Elkhart County police at 6:07 p.m. Tuesday after being stopped for a traffic violation at the intersection of U.S. 33 and C.R. 20. Parkins reportedly fled from the traffic stop on foot and was later apprehended at 3504 S. Main St., Elkhart. He was arrested on a charge of resisting law enforcement and a local warrant for dealing cocaine. He was booked into the county jail.