Four people were hurt in a two-vehicle crash Monday afternoon southeast of Wakarusa.
The collision occurred at 5:20 p.m. at the intersection of Ind. 119 and C.R. 9. Elkhart County police said a 2012 Dodge Avenger driven by Judith Kuykendall, 58, Elkhart, was headed south on C.R. A 2003 Chevrolet 1500 truck driven by Owen Slabaugh, 67, Nappanee, was headed west on Ind. 119. Police said Kuykendall drove into the intersection, and the vehicles collided.
Kuykendall suffered chest pain as a result of the crash, and two passengers in her vehicle were also hurt. Aurora Kuykendall, 6, Elkhart, suffered abrasions and minor lacerations, and Jamarian Kuykendall, 10, Elkhart, suffered chest pain.
Slabaugh was unhurt in the crash, but a passenger in the truck, Thomas Schmucker, 45, Bremen, suffered leg pain. All the injured motorists were transported to Elkhart General Hospital for treatment.
Police said Kuykendall was cited for failure to yield.
Woman shot during home invasion
Police say a woman was shot in the foot and a man hit in the head during a home invasion in Elkhart.
Elkhart police were called to the house, located in the 500 block of Herrold Avenue, Monday night on reports of a shooting. The woman and man were both taken to a hospital.
City police Sgt. Travis Snider said the two adults and a young girl were the only people in the house when the attack happened. Snider says the girl wasn’t hurt.
No arrests were immediately reported after the attack.
• A motorist was injured when he was dragged behind a trailer Monday north of Goshen.
Elkhart County police said the mishap occurred on U.S. 20, west of Ind. 15. William Pawlaczyk, 76, Ellenborro, N.C., was driving west in a 2012 Dodge pickup truck hauling a trailer. Police said Pawlaczyk stopped to secure a brake cable to the trailer, and left the truck in drive.
According to police, the trailer’s brake disengaged when the brake cable was reattached. Pawlaczyk was dragged for several feet until he let go of the trailer.
Pawlaczyk suffered arm and head abrasions and was transported to IU Health Goshen hospital for treatment.
• Lisa Hull told Goshen police she left her purse in a shopping cart in the parking lot at Walmart, 2304 Lincolnway East, Monday. When Hull returned to retrieve the purse, she discovered it had been stolen.
• Chrystal Scoles, 29, Topeka, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of criminal conversion Monday night at Walmart, 2304 Lincolnway East. Scoles was released on a memorandum to appear in Goshen City Court.
• Lisa Kidd, 401 W. Wilden Ave., told Goshen police someone entered her home Monday and stole prescription drugs and movies.
• Judith Hart, 54115 Eastview Drive, Bristol, told Elkhart County police someone stole a kayak stored outdoors next to her home. The theft occurred between 7:50 p.m. Sunday and 7:50 a.m. Monday.
• Timothy Fann, 26, 410 High St., Elkhart, was arrested by Elkhart County police on a burglary charge Tuesday morning. The burglary allegedly occurred around 4 p.m. at a home in the 58000 block of Steiner Drive, Goshen.
• An employee at Papa John’s Pizza, 301 N. Main St., Goshen, told Goshen police Monday that someone stole $2,400 from the business.
• William Rieth II, 410 Carter Road, told Goshen police someone stole the registration to his vehicle sometime Saturday night or Sunday morning.
• Darci Donaldson, 1313 S. Ninth St., told Goshen police Sunday that someone stole her son’s bicycle from outside her home.
• Deborah Diener of Goshen told Goshen police Sunday that someone stole items from her vehicle while it was parked in the 300 block of Carter Road.
A 17-year-old girl told Goshen police a male exposed his genitals to her around 4:15 p.m. Monday in the area of Bashor Road and Edgewood Drive. The incident occurred while the girl was walking along Bashor Road and the male, described as being around 20 years old, drove slowly past her.
• An inmate at the Elkhart County Work Release Center, 201 N. Cottage Ave., told Elkhart County police he was punched in the face around 4:15 p.m. Sunday. The inmate was taken to IU Health Goshen Hospital for treatment of head pain.
• Mark Youell, 39, 1269 N. Tibbs Ave., Indianapolis, was arrested by Elkhart County police on a charge of battery Saturday. Youell had allegedly battered two people at a home in the 14000 block of C.R. 52, Syracuse, shortly before 3 p.m. that day. He was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail.
• Patrick T. Rose, 34, 58452 Old C.R. 17, Goshen, was arrested by Elkhart County police Saturday on a charge of battery. The incident reportedly occurred that day at Rose’s home. He was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail.
• Mary E. Moore, 64822 C.R. 33, Goshen, told Elkhart County police Monday that someone smashed a pumpkin into the mailbox outside her home and smashed the post.
• Gordon Lord of Goshen told Goshen police that someone damaged his Lexus sometime Saturday evening or Sunday morning. The vehicle was parked in the 500 block of Carter Road when the damage occurred.
The following motorists were recently arrested on charges of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated:
• Stephen Schrock, 56, 564 Brookside Manor, Goshen, was arrested by Elkhart County police after a traffic stop around 7:50 p.m. at Pebblebrook Court and Old C.R. 17.
• Justin K. Sarber, 28, 520 N. Lynne Lane C, Elkhart, was arrested after a traffic stop by Elkhart County police around 3 a.m. Sunday in the area of C.R.s 14 and 19. He was arrested on a felony charge due to a prior OWI conviction within the past five years, police said. Sarber was also arrested on an Elkhart city warrant.
• Joseph Whickcar, 28, 5002 Heather Lane, South Bend, was arrested by Elkhart County police at Rieth Boulevard and Elkhart Road Saturday. The arrest took place after emergency dispatchers were notified of a reckless driver around 5:40 p.m.
Four people were hurt in a two-vehicle crash Monday afternoon southeast of Wakarusa.
- Police News
- Abandoned animals removed from home Goshen police and Humane Society of Elkhart County officer Dan Scott were called to 416 N. Eighth Street in Goshen Thursday afternoon for abandoned animals in the unoccupied residence.
Police ask for public's help in identifying would-be robber
Elkhart County police have released still photos captured from video of the man who attempted to hold up Red D Mart gas station, 68310 Ind. 15, New Paris, on Saturday, July 19.
- POLICE NEWS FOR JULY 23: Police determine car fire at Linway Plaza was a suicide attempt Following a four-month investigation, Goshen police determined that a car fire in the Linway Plaza parking lot on March 19 was an attempted suicide.According to Goshen police, William J. Tully was inside a car that caught fire at 12:11 p.m. March 19
- LaGrange man airlifted from scene of crash A motorcyclist was seriously injured in a crash at Ind. 13 and C.R. 34 at 1:48 p.m. Tuesday. Terry Fry, 44, LaGrange, was airlifted by MedFlight from the scene. Elkhart County police said he was taken to South Bend Memorial Hospital with fractures to
Suspicious blinking package with battery pack causes police to evacuate business area
A package with a battery pack and a blinking red light found on the desk of an employee at MSC, 28551 Laura Court, Elkhart, caused police and firefighters to evacuate the area this morning.
The package turned out to be a GPS tracking device and not a bomb.
Cat beaten to death in burglary
A house cat was found beaten to death following a burglary at a home in Howe Sunday.
Fiery crash kills one, critically injures two in North Webster
A fiery crash in North Webster left a Pennsylvania man dead and two others critically injured at 3:21 p.m. Sunday on Ind. 13, near Esterbrook Drive.
- Police looking for armed robbery suspect The Elkhart County Sheriff’s Department is asking the public for information related to an attempted armed robbery at the Red D Mart at 68310 Ind. 15, in New Paris Saturday.According to police, at approximately 9:13 a.m. a white male approximately 20
- Work release inmate being sought Elkhart County police filed a report Thursday indicating Matthew J. Balint, 20, failed to return to lawful custody at the work release center, 201 N. Cottage Ave., Goshen, at 4:04 p.m. July 9, and is now considered absent without leave.
- Handguns reported stolen from barn Troy Alexander Mueller of New Paris told Elkhart County police someone removed handguns from a pole barn located at 19902 C.R. 146 in New Paris between 1:30 a.m. Saturday and 4:30 a.m. Sunday.
- More Police News Headlines