A 73-year-old Elkhart man died after being struck by a car Friday at U.S. 33, southeast of Sunnyside Avenue in Elkhart and the driver who fled the scene was arrested.
According to county police, Frank L. Nelson, 73, Elkhart, was walking across U.S. 33 after parking his car on the northeast side of the road in a parking lot. The mishap occurred at 6:35 p.m. Police reported a 2006 Honda Civic driven by Kent Phounagmalay, 21, Elkhart, struck Nelson as he walked across the road and the driver fled the scene. Two off-duty Elkhart police officers witnessed the crash, according to police. One officer stopped to assist the pedestrian and stop traffic while the officer pursued the fleeing driver.
The driver was followed southeast on U.S. 33 to C.R. 20 and west to Concord Mall Drive, police said. Phounagmalay pulled into the JC Penny parking lot and was detained by the off-duty officer. He was arrested on charges of leaving the scene of a fatal crash, operating a vehicle while intoxicated causing death and possession of marijuana. He was incarcerated at the Elkhart County jail. The Fatal Alcohol Crash team (FACT) is investigating the crash with Middlebury police, Elkhart City police and Elkhart County police.
Theft reports and arrests
• A Goshen resident told Goshen police of a phone scam where she was asked to wire money to Utah at 11:39 a.m. Friday.
• Tyres Alexander, 20, 1212 Midtown Court, Apt. 89, Elkhart, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of theft at Meijer, 4522 Elkhart Road, Goshen, at 5:32 p.m. Friday. He was released with a signed memorandum to appear in Goshen City Court.
• Brittany N. Willard, 27, 210 S. Silverwood Lane, Apt. C, Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of theft at Kohls, 3802 Midway Road, Goshen. The incident occurred at 6 p.m. Friday. She was released on a memorandum to appear in the Goshen City Court.
• Jacob Putnam, 21, 1555 W. Pratt Blvd, Chicago, Ill., was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of theft at CVS, 410 S. Main St., Goshen, at 1:43 a.m. Saturday. He was transported to the Elkhart County jail.
• Billy J. Richcreek, 44, 1312 E. Lincoln Ave., Apt. 3, Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police on charges of domestic violence and possession of firearms by a violent felon. The incident occurred at 8:30 a.m. Friday. He was transported to the Elkhart County jail.
• Chamberlain Elementary School Principal Kimberly Branham told Goshen police a 10-year-old male student brought an unauthorized prescription to school at 428 N. Fifth St., Goshen, at 8 a.m. Friday.
• Conner H. Pelis, 22, 318 W. Ninth St., Mishawaka, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of operating a vehicle with a prior conviction in the 400 block of W. Pike Street at 9:39 p.m. Friday. He was stopped for a traffic violation and transported to the Elkhart County jail.