THE GOSHEN NEWS
---- — A backseat passenger was injured in a two-vehicle collision at Ind. 15, south of C.R. 20, near Goshen Sunday.
The crash occurred at 4:44 p.m. according to Elkhart County police. A 2013 four-door Jeep driven by Scott E. McKee, 43, Goshen, attempted to pass a 2002 Nissan driven by Samuel Espinoza, 20, Goshen. Espinoza and his three passengers were waiting to turn east into the entrance at Broadmore Estates. McKee’s Jeep passed the Nissan on the left and struck the driver’s side, rolled over and landed on its top in a yard on the west side of the road. Julio Rosas Vega, 39, Goshen, was transported to IU Health Goshen Hospital for complaint of right knee pain. McKee was arrested by police on a charge of driving while intoxicated and incarcerated at the Elkhart County jail. McKee was cited for driving at an unreasonable speed. Espinoza was ticketed for a learner’s permit violation.
Elkhart County police reported a single-vehicle rollover crash on Ind. 120, west of C.R. 35 in Middlebury at 2:37 a.m. Sunday. A white 2002 Pontiac Grand Am was found to have rolled over and the driver fled the scene.
Driver hurt in single-vehicle crash
A driver in a single-vehicle crash was transported to South Bend Memorial Hospital for treatment of severe head injuries Monday. The crash occurred at 10:13 p.m. according to Elkhart County police. Jerry W. Miller, 22, Millersburg, was driving southbound on C.R. 37, north of C.R. 38 in Millersburg. He lost control of his 2001 Chevrolet Venture and struck a tree. Police said Miller was not wearing a seat belt and was ejected from his vehicle. The Elkhart County Crash Investigation Team is investigating the incident.
Man jailed in Elkhart crash
A two-vehicle crash sent a woman to the hospital and a man to jail for driving drunk Monday at U.S. 20 and Nappanee Street in Elkhart. The collision occurred at 4 p.m. According to Indiana State police, a silver Nissan driven by Stephanie Johnson, Elkhart, was rear ended by a gray Chevrolet Malibu driven by Men Mireles, 30, South Bend. Johnson was transported to Elkhart General Hospital for complaint of head pain. Mireles was arrested on charges of driving while intoxicated and driving with a suspended license. He was transported to the Elkhart County jail.
Man jailed on drug charges
After fleeing from undercover Kosciusko County Drug Task Force officers, an Elkhart man was arrested Monday on drug charges in Milford.
Emmanuel Ryan Kwabena Collier, 30, Elkhart, fled from officers on foot after an undercover purchase of marijuana had taken place with assistance from Milford police after a month-long investigation. Collier was tackled by Kosciusko County police and arrested on charges of resisting/fleeing law enforcement and dealing in marijuana within 1,000 feet of school property. He is incarcerated at the Kosciusko County jail.
• Andrew Enyart, 1980 S. 500 East, LaGrange, told LaGrange County police someone stole his orange and white Ariens snow blower between 5 and 7 p.m. Thursday from his residence.
• Michael Kindy, Goshen, told Elkhart County police someone made fraudulent charges to his bank account in the amount of $164.57 between Dec. 9 and Dec. 31.
• Tim Martin, 64670 C.R. 9, Goshen, told Elkhart County police someone stole a safe from an unattached garage to his residence between 3:30 and 6:45 a.m. Saturday. Someone forced entry by prying open a rear window. The safe contained firearms, cash, and personal information. Police said the safe was recovered later the same day at an abandoned residence nearby and all the contents were recovered at the scene.
• Isaias Perez, 334 Post Road, Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole his vehicle from Roxbury Park at 8:27 a.m. Sunday.
• Brandi Deiber, Elkhart, told Goshen police someone stole two bottles of prescription medication from her vehicle at 2652 Ashton Pines Drive in Goshen at 10 a.m. Monday.
• Abigail M. Kashmer Bradford, 629 S. Sixth St., Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole items from her vehicle during the overnight hours Sunday.
• Amy Bertram, the principal at Fairfield Jr./Sr. High School, 67530 U.S. Hwy 33, Goshen, told Elkhart County police two 16-year-old students were being incorrigible within the classroom at 2:40 p.m. Thursday.
• A 17-year-old Goshen male was arrested by Goshen police on charges of being incorrigible at 5:26 p.m. Monday. The incident occurred at 2705 Briarwood Blvd., Goshen.
•Rhoda Schrag, Goshen, told Goshen police she was asked to send money for an incarcerated family member Friday. She learned the family member was not incarcerated only after she had sent the money, police said.
• Employees at Walgreens, 429 W. Pike St., Goshen, told Goshen police a male provided a fraudulent identify card at 2 p.m. Monday. The male left the store prior to police arrival.
Battery reports and arrests
• Jorge Baltazar, 22, 1725 Windsor Lane, Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of domestic battery at 10:49 p.m. Sunday. A 23-year-old female had minor injury to her right knee and complaint of pain. He was transported to the Elkhart County jail.
• Marianne Edmiston, Goshen, told Goshen police someone battered one of her children at Chandler Elementary School playground, 419 S. Eighth St., Goshen, after school hours Monday.
• Ryan Wyatt, 25, 53072 C.R. 35, Middlebury, was arrested by Elkhart County police on a charge of operating a vehicle while suspended as a habitual traffic violater at the intersection of C.R. 38 and U.S. Hwy 33 at 3:36 p.m. Sunday. He was stopped for a traffic infraction and transported to the Elkhart County jail.
Drug/alcohol reports and arrests
• A staff member at Elkhart County Community Corrections, 201 N. Cottage Ave., Goshen, told Elkhart County police a 26-year-old male was allegedly found to be in possession of marijuana at 2:20 p.m. Saturday.
• At 4:55 a.m. Sunday, an employee at Elkhart County Community Corrections, 201 N. Cottage Ave., Goshen, allegedly found a 33-year-old male to be in possession of marijuana and told Elkhart County police.
• Goshen police made a traffic stop in the 4000 block of Elkhart Road at 1:33 a.m. Monday. Austin D. Dooley, 20, 1104 Hickory St., Goshen, failed to indicate a turn prior to 200 feet and was arrested on a charge of possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia. A passenger, Dominique G. Peterson, 20, 113 S. 28th St., Goshen, was arrested on a charge of possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia. Both males were released at the scene and given a court date.
• Armando Cordero, 30, 619 Seville Court, Ligonier, was arrested by Elkhart County police on charges of driving while intoxicated and operating a vehicle with a driving status of a suspended prior during a traffic stop at U.S. Hwy 33 and Reith Boulevard at 1:24 a.m. Sunday. He was incarcerated at the Elkhart County jail.
• Dwayne E. Schlabach, 66, 7690 N. 900 West, Shipshewana, was arrested by Goshen police on charges of operating a vehicle while intoxicated and operating a vehicle while being a habitual traffic violator for life in the 600 block of N. Main Street at 5:15 p.m. Sunday. He was stopped for disregarding a traffic control device and incarcerated at the Elkhart County jail.