THE GOSHEN NEWS
GOSHEN — A Goshen man was sentenced Thursday to 90 years in prison on Class A felony counts of child molesting.
Abelardo Perez-Romero, 33, 511 Bluegrass, was sentenced in Elkhart Superior Court 3. According to electronic court records, Perez-Romero said he intends to appeal his sentence.
Court staff said the case involved two children.
In other recent Superior Court 3 proceedings:
• Melvin W. Glick, 26, 11615 Ind. 120, Middlebury, received a 15-year sentence Thursday on a Class B felony count of dealing in methamphetamine and a Class C felony count of neglect of a dependent.
Eight years of Glick’s sentence is to be served in the Department of Correction, followed by four years with the Elkhart County Community Corrections program, if he qualifies. Glick will also serve three years on probation.
• Jaye C. Collins, 57078 Appaloosa Court, Goshen, was sentenced May 2 to six years in the Department of Correction plus four years on probation on a Class B felony count of dealing in cocaine.
Shotgun in store
An employee at the BP station, 21870 Ind. 120, Bristol, told Elkhart County police a white male entered the store carrying a shotgun and had a cloth over his face at 1:30 a.m. Sunday. A white female entered the store with him and they walked to the back of the store together. The male and female left without incident when another customer pulled into the parking lot, police said.
The Elkhart County police assisted the Bristol police with an investigation related to the possession of methamphetamine precursors in the area of Ind. 120, west of C.R. 35 at 12:39 p.m. Sunday.
Several people were injured in recent crashes investigated by local police:
• A two-vehicle collision injured two people Monday at the intersection of Illinois and 16th streets, Goshen police reported.
The crash occurred at 5:37 a.m. Police said a 2008 Ford Fusion driven by Patrick A. Sims of Nappanee collided with a mo-ped operated by Dylan Secord, 32, Houghton Lake, Mich.
A passenger on the mo-ped, Christina L. Slasor, 32, Goshen, suffered compound fracture to her right leg as a result of the crash. Secord had an abrasion. Both were transported to IU Health Goshen Hospital for treatment.
• A pedestrian received minor injuries after being struck by a vehicle Monday at U.S. 33, north of U.S. 6 in Millersburg, Elkhart County police reported.
The crash occurred at 4:55 a.m. Jason Charles, 32, Goshen, was driving a 1996 New Yorker Chrysler when he told police he couldn’t see Shelia Moore, 42, Goshen, on the roadway because of dark clothing. Moore refused medical treatment at the scene for a dislocated left arm, but later was transported to IU Health Goshen Hospital from her residence for treatment.
• A four-vehicle crash injured one driver Monday near the intersection of Ind. 13 and C.R. 40, Elkhart County police reported.
The collision occurred at 5:05 p.m. Police said a 2002 Oldsmobile Bravada driven by Wilbur Yoder, 19, Goshen, rear ended the 1990 Chevrolet pickup driven by Nathan Miller, 24, Millersburg, who rear ended the 2004 Chrysler Town Country driven by Darlene Treat, 62, Goshen. Her vehicle collided with the 2001 Chevrolet Silverado driven by Michael Graber, 40, Millersburg. Graber was transported to IU Health Goshen Hospital for complaint of head, chest and neck pain and was ticketed for seatbelt violation.
Miller was ticketed for unreasonable speed to avoid a collision.
IU Health Goshen Hospital staff reported a rape to Elkhart County police that occurred in the 22000 block Ind. 120 in Elkhart around 1 a.m. Friday.
• Tavarius Johnson, told Elkhart County police someone broke into his locker at 201 S. Cottage Ave., Goshen, and stole a phone, jewelry and coat between 4 p.m. Friday and 4 a.m. Saturday.
• Martha M. Powell, 51468 C.R. 35, Bristol, told Elkhart County police someone stole a portable generator between 7:17 and 9 p.m. Friday.
• Jacob D. Cloud, 25, 24063 Himebaugh Ave., Elkhart, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of theft at Meijer, 4522 Elkhart Road, Goshen, at 2:55 p.m. Sunday for attempting to leave the store with $313 of unpaid merchandise. He was incarcerated at the Elkhart County jail.
• Brad Taylor, Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole his wallet containing cash and personal information at Kroger’s, 209 Chicago Ave., Goshen, at 7 p.m. Sunday.
• Goshen police were dispatched to 410 Glenwood Drive, Goshen, for a possible burglary in progress at 11:51 p.m. Sunday. The caller told police two persons were on the south side of the residence knocking on a window and fled south bound.
• Jeremy J. Ellis, 34, 3465 E. 250 North, LaGrange, was arrested by LaGrange County police on a charge of theft at Schlemmer’s Hardware, 910 S. Poplar St., LaGrange, at 5:57 p.m. Monday. He was transported to the LaGrange County jail.
• An employee of CVS, 410 S. Main St., Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole items from the store at 8:45 p.m. Monday. Police said a witness gave the name of the accused.
• Sharon Butler, 529 Olive St., Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole jewelry from her residence between 2 and 4:30 p.m. Sunday.
• Jonathan Millard, Goshen, told Elkhart County police someone made fraudulent charges on his debit card account in the amount of $257 at 12:01 a.m. Friday.
• Mafra Maust, Goshen, told Elkhart County police someone fraudulently used her debit card to make $153.17 in purchases at an unknown location at midnight May 8.
• Brandon Dooley, Middlebury, told Elkhart County police someone fraudulently used his identity to purchase $109.25 in public utilities at an address on 415 S. Sixth St., Elkhart sometime between Feb. 1 and Aug. 3, 2007.
• Cory McGill, Millersburg, told Elkhart County police someone made several unauthorized withdrawals totaling $468.83 from his bank account sometime Friday.
Vandalism/criminal mischief reports
• Clayton Bjurstrom, 17517 C.R. 20, Goshen, told Elkhart County police someone destroyed his plastic-formed mailbox at his residence between 11 p.m. April 30 and 6 a.m. May 1.
• A Goshen Parks Department employee told Goshen police the male and female bathrooms at the Oakridge Park, 604 N. Sixth St., Goshen, were vandalized around 3:30 p.m. Sunday.