THE GOSHEN NEWS
Kosciusko County Drug Task Force officers arrested two individuals in the span of 48 hours on drug-related charges. Norman Lee McCord, 56, 701 E. C.R. 800 South, Claypool, was arrested by Kosciusko County police on a charge of methamphetamine production Monday. Police located an active one-pot method methamphetamine lab at the residence. The Indiana State Police Clandestine Lab team was at the scene to secure and remove the active meth lab.
Ronald Douglas Meade Sr., 63, 5790 S. Maple Grove Lane, Warsaw, was arrested by Kosciusko County police on a charge of dealing in a controlled substance at 10 a.m. Wednesday. They were transported to Kosciusko County jail.
Scam lands woman in jail
A Georgia woman is currently in Kosciusko County jail after being charged with money laundering.
Kosciusko County police arrested Joanne Karene McCrary, 74, Calhoun, Ga., after recently driving to Georgia due to a local Kosciusko elderly couple having filed a report after being scammed out of thousands of dollars by a “Jamaican lottery scam.” According to police, the couple discovered their Social Security checks had been diverted to a location in Georgia. Local police followed the money trail to McCrary in Georgia who police say was illegally transferring the stolen funds and mailing them in turn to Jamaica in the form of bank cards.
According to police, McCrary had previously fallen victim to the scam and alleged that she had become a “mule” for the Jamaican criminals. KCSD officers are working with officials from the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and the U.S. Federal Trade Commission to locate other potential victims.
Driver hurt in wreck
A driver was injured in a two-vehicle collision at 5070 W. Ind. 120 in Shipshewana Wednesday. The crash occurred at 3:53 p.m. LaGrange County police said a 2003 Pontiac Vibe driven by Veronica Luna, 36, Howe, rear-ended a 2005 Chevy SUV driven by Janette Hilgendorf of Shipshewana. Hilgendorf was turning right into her driveway. Luna was transported to Parkview LaGrange Hospital for chest pain and cited for following too close.
A driver was taken to Parkview LaGrange Hospital for cuts to the head in a four-vehicle crash in LaGrange County Wednesday. The collision occurred at 4:22 p.m. According to LaGrange County police, Steven S. Milholland, 50, Angola, was driving a 2006 Ford when he was hit broadside by another vehicle causing him to crash into a 1999 Honda Civic driven by Roxy A. Miller, 58, Shipshewana, at the intersection of 600 W. U.S. 20.
A motorcyclist was injured in a single-vehicle crash at Ind. 13, south of U.S. 6 in Syracuse. The crash occurred at 9:50 p.m. Tuesday. Elkhart County police said a 26-year-old male driver was driving a Honda Metropolitan scooter and lost control, laying it down in the roadway. The driver sustained a significant head injury and was airlifted to Parkview Hospital in Fort Wayne. Police said the driver was not wearing a helmet and alcohol is believed to be a factor in the crash. The Elkhart County Crash Investigation Team is investigating the crash further.
Theft/burglary reports and arrests
• Judith Reed, 1515 Harvest Drive, Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole property from her residence at 3:19 p.m. Tuesday.
• Chance Goble, 427 S. Silverwood Lane, Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole several items from his residence at 5:30 a.m. Tuesday.
• James Gibson, 70231 C.R. 29, Syracuse, told Elkhart County police someone entered his residence and stole jewelry and multiple electronics at 8 a.m. Tuesday.
• Amber King, 22, 24135 Himebaugh Ave., Elkhart, was arrested at 10:09 a.m. Wednesday on a charge of theft allegedly taking $1,000 cash the last month from her employer, Target, 3938 Midway Road, Goshen. She was transported to the Elkhart County jail.
• Sylvia King, 433 N. First St., Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole a personal check from her mail sometime April 16.
• Bailey Luise Ritsema, 26, 20383 Garnet Drive North, South Bend, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of theft at Meijer’s, 4522 Elkhart Road, Goshen, at 11:11 p.m. Wednesday. She was transported to Elkhart County jail.
• Victor Garcia, 523 E. Douglas, Goshen, told Goshen police someone attempted to steal his black scooter at 10:40 p.m. Wednesday.
• An employee of the Elkhart County Fairgrounds, 17446 C.R. 34, Goshen, told Elkhart County police someone stole eight brass firehose fittings from the fairgrounds between 8:30 a.m. Tuesday and 11:30 a.m. Wednesday.
• Tim Wert of Syracuse told Elkhart County police of charges on his debit card that were fraudulent around midnight Saturday.
• Caleb Garnett, 204 S. Cottage Ave., Goshen, told Goshen police another person attempted to get money from him on the Internet by claiming to be a South Bend police officer at 10:45 a.. Wednesday.
• A bank employee at 2513 S. Main St., Goshen, told Goshen police a customer was victimized in a scam at 9 a.m. Tuesday.
• Abbegall Drake of Goshen told Goshen police someone made unauthorized charges on her credit card around midnight Monday.
• Assistant principal Rick Yoder at Northridge Middle School, 56779 Northridge Drive, Middlebury, told Elkhart County police a 12-year-old male had a small pocket knife at a school function and made threats to another student at 7 p.m. Saturday. Police said Wednesday that the investigation is continuing..
Vandalism/criminal mischief reports
• Amy Conklin, 18615 Hover Court, Goshen, told Elkhart County police someone broke the windshield on her 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier between 11:30 p.m. May 16 and 8:05 a.m. May 17.
• Gabriel Chapman, 31, 59173 Timber Trail, Goshen, was arrested by Elkhart County police on a charge of domestic battery at 7 p.m. Tuesday. He was transported to the Elkhart County jail.
• Flair Industries, 1405 S. Tenth St., Goshen, told Goshen police there was a fight between four employees at 8:19 a.m. Wednesday. Police and medics arrived and information was gathered. Police said no one involved wanted to file charges.
• Kirk Depoister, 38, 9567 Adams Road, Pierceton, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of driving with a suspended license and false informing during a traffic stop at Lincolnway East and Dierdorff Road in Goshen at 7:35 p.m. Wednesday.