• A Goshen man was injured after reportedly attempting to flee from police in his vehicle at 11:39 p.m. Friday near Bristol. According to Goshen police, officers attempted to stop William T. Helms, 42, Goshen, on C.R. 6, just east of C.R. 9., for a routine traffic violation. Helms reportedly fled from police east on C.R. 6 to C.R. 21 before attempting to head south on C.R. 8, at which time his vehicle exited the roadway and struck a tree. Helms was ejected from the vehicle and was later transported to South Bend Memorial Hospital for treatment of a dislocated left leg, facial bleeding and chest pain. The incident remains under investigation.
• Willard Stutzman, New Smyrna, Fla., filed a report with Goshen police at 9 p.m. Thursday indicating someone damaged his vehicle between 9 p.m. Wednesday and 10 a.m. Thursday.
• Kayla Sheets, Goshen, told Goshen police a red Ford collided with the rear of her vehicle at approximately 3 p.m. Friday while she was sitting at the intersection of Dierdorff Road and North Eisenhower Drive. Sheets stated that the driver of the vehicle failed to stop and fled the scene making no attempt to exchange information.
Five-vehicle crash injures six
Unsafe speed is cited for the cause of a five-vehicle chain-reaction crash on C.R. 6, east of C.R. 10, just west of Elkhart at 3:21 pm. Saturday.
According to Elkhart County Ptl. Derek Lundgren, four vehicles were stopped facing east on C.R. 6 east of C.R. 10.
Lundgren reported that Sarah Brugh, 17, Elkhart, who was driving a 1998 Buick Century, east on C.R. 6 saw that the vehicle in front of her was stopping but she was unable to stop her car. The Buick struck the rear of a 2001 Dodge Durango driven by Steven Kern, 48, Elkhart. The Durango, in turn, struck the rear of a 1997 GMC Savana, driven by Alejandro Perez, 36, Sturgis, Mich. The Savana struck the rear of a 1998 Chevrolet Astro van driven by Tina Howard, 45, Elkhart, which, struck the rear of a 1996 Toyota Camry driven by Robert Phillips, 49, Cassopolis, Mich.
Brugh and two of her passengers, Sasmantha Brugh, 14, Elkhart, and Sophia Brugh, 10, Elkhart, were injured. Sarah suffered pain to her neck, right arm and left hand, plus she had abrasions to both of her forearms.
Samantha suffered pain to her head. Sophia suffered a laceration to her chin and complaint of pain to her mouth.
Kern and his passenger, Donna Wright, 54, were also injured. Kern suffered pain to his neck and right ankle. Wright suffered pain to her chest, left foot, ankle and thigh.
Perez had pain to his neck and both shins.
The other two drivers were not injured.
All of the injured were taken to Elkhart General Hospital for treatment.
Brugh was issued a warning for driving at an unsafe speed.
• Tim Harmon, 922 S. Eighth St., Goshen, filed a report with Goshen police at 8 a.m. Thursday indicating someone entered his yard the night before and took a spare rim and mounted tire that was next to the edge of his garage.
• Stacie Meyers, 402 River Vista Drive, Goshen, filed a report with Goshen police at 1:15 p.m. Friday indicating her home had been burglarized.
• Marsha Moles, 218 W. Wilden Ave., Goshen, filed a report with Goshen police at 2:59 p.m. Friday indicating her home had been burglarized.
• Stephanie Rossi, manager of Maple City Bowl, 1300 W. Pike St., Goshen, filed a report with Goshen police at 1:30 a.m. Friday indicating someone stole two bottles of liquor from the bar.
• Tiffany D. Ratliff, 1304 Hickory St., Goshen, filed a report with Goshen police at 7:07 p.m. Friday indicating someone stole her cell phone while she was at 1607 S. 11th St., Goshen.
• Aisha Baker, 109 N. Eighth St., Goshen, filed a report with Goshen police at 5:29 a.m. Saturday indicating someone entered her home without her permission.
• A 20-year-old Goshen man told Goshen police he was battered by another male in the 400 block of East Jefferson Street, Goshen, at 4:50 p.m. Friday.
• Matthew J. Westlake, 34, 1000 Taylor St., Elkhart, was arrested by Goshen police at 3:09 a.m. Saturday at the intersection of Eighth Street and Lincoln Avenue on a charge of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated. He was booked into the county jail.