THE GOSHEN NEWS
---- — A passenger injured in a one-vehicle crash that killed the driver was hospitalized in critical condition Thursday.
Vincente Martinez, 23, Ligonier, suffered severe head injuries in the collision, which occurred at 5:41 p.m. Wednesday on U.S. 33 north of C.R. 50. He was airlifted to Parkview Hospital in Fort Wayne.
Martinez was a passenger in a 2008 Dodge four-door driven by Mario Alberto Reyes, 25, Ligonier. Elkhart County police said the southbound vehicle crossed the center line and went off the east side of U.S. 33. The Dodge went into a ditch and then overturned several times before coming to a stop in a field.
Reyes died as a result of his injuries.
Motorists were injured in two recent traffic crashes responded to by Goshen police:
• A driver was hurt in a crash involving multiple parked automobiles Sunday in the Sam’s Club parking lot along Elkhart Road.
The mishap occurred around 3:18 p.m. Police said Christopher M. Cleveland, 31, Elkhart, was driving a 2002 Dodge Caravan in the lot. The Dodge struck a parked vehicle owned by Martha Ekstrom of Goshen. Three other vehicles were also involved in the chain-reaction collision.
Cleveland suffered minor arm bleeding as a result of the crash. He reportedly told police that he didn’t know what happened, and that he must have blacked out.
• Three people were hurt in a two-vehicle crash shortly before noon Saturday at U.S. 33 and Greene Road.
Police said a 1997 Chevrolet van driven by David Izak, 44, collided with the rear of a 2008 Dodge Ram driven by Jason Schutz, 28, Elkhart.
Izak suffered back pain as a result of the collision, and Schutz suffered neck and back pain. A passenger in the Dodge, Rebecca Schutz, 33, Elkhart, suffered neck and back pain. All three were checked by paramedics and the scene and declined to be transported to the hospital.
The following thefts and burglaries were recently reported to Goshen police:
• Steven Vannoster, 411 N. Main St., told police Wednesday that someone took his Toro snowblower off his front porch.
• Matt Okuly told police Wednesday that someone stole medication from his vehicle overnight while the automobile was parked at 1213 Wilson Ave.
• Heraclio Montoya told police someone stole items from his vehicle overnight while the automobile was parked at 1502 S. 12th St.
• An employee at Kroger Fuel Center, 612 W. Pike St., said someone pumped gasoline and failed to pay for it around 2:41 p.m. Wednesday.
• Thomas Adkins told Goshen police Wednesday that someone phoned him in an attempt to make him a victim of a telephone scam.
Vandalism/criminal mischief reports
• Steven Hess, 111 E. Pike St., told Goshen police Wednesday that someone flattened the driver’s side front tire of his 2011 Ford Fusion while the vehicle was parked at his residence.
• Scott Cole, 37, 815 W. Douglas St., Lot 182, Mishawaka, was arrested by Goshen police after a traffic stop around 4:30 a.m. Thursday on Sourwood Drive near Kercher Road. He was incarcerated on a charge of driving while being a habitual traffic violator.
• Dexter Dock, 26, 1805 S. William St., Mishawaka, was arrested by Goshen police after a traffic stop around 5:30 a.m. near 410 W. Pike St. He was arrested on charges of possession of marijuana and driving while his driving privileges were suspended, and released on a memorandum to appear in court.
The following motorists were recently arrested on charges of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated:
• Douglas Castano, 40, 700 Lincolnway Lot 12, Ligonier, was arrested by Elkhart County police after a traffic stop around 11 p.m. Wednesday on U.S. 33 south of C.R. 33. He was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail.