Elkhart County police continue to investigate a Nov. 20 crash that claimed the life of a Ligonier man. Investigators are seeking information about another vehicle that might have been in the area at the time of the collision.
The mishap occurred around 5:41 p.m. on U.S. 33 north of C.R. 50. A vehicle driven by Mario A. Reyes, 25, Ligonier, went off the road and overturned in a field.
According to police, preliminary findings indicate the Reyes vehicle was traveling at more than 100 mph prior to the crash.
Reyes died as a result of his injuries. A passenger in the automobile, Vincente Martinez, 23, Ligonier, was seriously injured.
Investigators are seeking additional information about a light-colored sport utility vehicle that may have been in the area at the time of the crash. Anyone with information about this vehicle or about the incident is asked to call the sheriff’s department at 574-533-4151.
Several theft and burglary reports were recently reported to local police:
• Jason Schwartz, 13625 C.R. 42, Goshen, told Elkhart County police Tuesday that someone entered a barn on his property and stole a GPS unit from inside a buggy.
• Colin Huff, 26, 1838 Greenleaf Blvd., Elkhart, was arrested by Goshen police Tuesday on a theft charge. Police allege that Huff stole several controlled substance medications at his place of employment, Walgreens, 4430 Elkhart, since January.
• Loss prevention staff at Meijer, 4522 Elkhart Road, Goshen, told Goshen police a theft occurred at the store in the early morning hours Tuesday.
• Staff at Ramirez Salvage and Towing, 828 E. Lincoln Ave., reported the theft of numerous tools at the business to Goshen police Tuesday.
• Mary Chupp, 504 E. Jefferson St., Goshen, told Goshen police Tuesday that her bicycle was taken from her home. The bicycle was later recovered.
• Staff at Kroger Gas Station, 612 W. Pike St., told Goshen police that someone pumped gasoline around 12:39 Tuesday and left without paying.