Elkhart County police continue to investigate a Nov. 20 crash that claimed the life of a Ligonier man. Investigators are seeking information about another vehicle that might have been in the area at the time of the collision.
The mishap occurred around 5:41 p.m. on U.S. 33 north of C.R. 50. A vehicle driven by Mario A. Reyes, 25, Ligonier, went off the road and overturned in a field.
According to police, preliminary findings indicate the Reyes vehicle was traveling at more than 100 mph prior to the crash.
Reyes died as a result of his injuries. A passenger in the automobile, Vincente Martinez, 23, Ligonier, was seriously injured.
Investigators are seeking additional information about a light-colored sport utility vehicle that may have been in the area at the time of the crash. Anyone with information about this vehicle or about the incident is asked to call the sheriff’s department at 574-533-4151.
Several theft and burglary reports were recently reported to local police:
• Jason Schwartz, 13625 C.R. 42, Goshen, told Elkhart County police Tuesday that someone entered a barn on his property and stole a GPS unit from inside a buggy.
• Colin Huff, 26, 1838 Greenleaf Blvd., Elkhart, was arrested by Goshen police Tuesday on a theft charge. Police allege that Huff stole several controlled substance medications at his place of employment, Walgreens, 4430 Elkhart, since January.
• Loss prevention staff at Meijer, 4522 Elkhart Road, Goshen, told Goshen police a theft occurred at the store in the early morning hours Tuesday.
• Staff at Ramirez Salvage and Towing, 828 E. Lincoln Ave., reported the theft of numerous tools at the business to Goshen police Tuesday.
• Mary Chupp, 504 E. Jefferson St., Goshen, told Goshen police Tuesday that her bicycle was taken from her home. The bicycle was later recovered.
• Staff at Kroger Gas Station, 612 W. Pike St., told Goshen police that someone pumped gasoline around 12:39 Tuesday and left without paying.
• Robert Fransen of Goshen told Goshen police Tuesday that he discovered windows broken at an abandoned home at 412 E. Reynolds St.
• An employee at Silverwood Mennonite Church, 1712 W. Clinton St., Goshen, told Goshen police Monday that someone stole items from a storage building on church property.
• Sarah Kaufman told Elkhart County police that someone broke into her home at 19186 Wysong Drive and took a stove and air conditioning unit. The burglary occurred around 5:30 p.m. Monday.
• Larry Herschberger of Syracuse told Elkhart County police someone fraudulently took $2,500 off his Money Pak cards Monday during a phone scam. Herschberger had received a call from someone claiming to be from Publishers Clearing House.
• James Roberts of Goshen told Elkhart County police that on Oct. 30, someone used his credit card number in Saudi Arabia to make an unauthorized $156.13 purchase.
Several motorists were hurt in recent crashes investigated by Goshen police:
• A passenger was hurt in a two-vehicle collision Tuesday at U.S. 33 and High Street.
The mishap occurred at 4:37 p.m. Police said a 2006 Ford Fusion driven by Austin B. Roose, 17, Goshen, collided with a 2008 Toyota Prius driven by Amanda Lopez, 30, Goshen.
A passenger in the Prius, Evelyn Orellana, 20, Goshen, suffered chest pain as a result of the crash.
• A one-vehicle crash hurt a driver Sunday on U.S. 33 west of Rieth Boulevard.
The collision occurred at 3:20 p.m. Police said a 1996 Dodge Caravan driven by Laura M. Slaughter, 25, Bremen, went off the right side of the road. The vehicle jumped the curb and struck a utility pole, guy wire and railroad embankment.
Slaughter suffered neck pain as a result of the crash.
• A driver was hurt in a two-vehicle collision Saturday on the Ind. 15 overpass north of U.S. 33.
The crash occurred around 4:14 p.m. Police said a 1998 Honda CRV driven by Angela Wireman, 42, slid on the ice-covered road, struck the center barrier and then collided with the rear of a Goshen police vehicle. The police vehicle was parked while an officer investigated another crash.
Wireman suffered leg pain as a result of the collision.
• A two-vehicle collision injured a driver Friday on Ind. 15 north of Kercher Road.
The crash occurred at 10:45 a.m. Police said a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer driven by Brandon L. Chupp, 26, Syracuse, collided with a 2009 Toyota Corolla driven by Barbara Hohenstein, 60, Columbia City.
Hohenstein suffered wrist pain as a result of the crash. Police said Chupp was cited for not having insurance.
• A 33-year-old woman told Goshen police she was assaulted in her home in the 100 block of Prospect Avenue by someone she didn’t know. The incident occurred around 11 p.m. Tuesday.
• Isaiah Q. Donaldson, 28, 1313 S. Ninth St., Apt. E, Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police around 9:30 a.m. Monday after officers were called to his home. Donaldson was incarcerated on charges of strangulation, domestic battery and interference with reporting a crime.
• Elkhart County police said two boys got into a fight at Concord High School around 9 a.m. Monday. The boys were released to the custody of their parents.
A 27-year-old woman told Elkhart County police she was raped by a friend near Goshen around 3 p.m. Monday. Police are investigating the incident.
Vandalism/criminal mischief reports
• Staff at Arbor Ridge Apartments told Goshen police Tuesday that someone damaged a vehicle that had been abandoned in the parking lot.
• Ricardo Lugo of Goshen told Goshen police Tuesday that someone placed a 5-gallon gas container on his vehicle at 121 S. Silverwood Lane. Gasoline inside the container spilled on the vehicle.
• Marion Miller, 31, 69941 C.R. 29, New Paris, was arrested by Elkhart County police after a vehicle crash around 1:55 p.m. Monday in the 14000 block of U.S. 6, Syracuse. Police said Miller crashed his 2005 GMC Canyon into a fence and left the scene. According to police, Miller was located at 71950 C.R. 35 attempting to change a flat tire on the vehicle. Miller was arrested on charges of leaving the scene of a crash and driving while being a habitual traffic violator.
The following motorists were recently arrested on charges of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated:
• Jeffrey J. Bainter, 52, 18819 C.R. 20, Goshen, was arrested by Elkhart County police after a traffic stop around 2:47 a.m. Wednesday on Ind. 19 south of C.R. 20. In addition to the OWI, Bainter was also arrested on a charge of possession of drug paraphernalia.
• Corey A. Barbieri, 36, 58100 C.R. 9, Elkhart, was arrested by Goshen police after a traffic stop around 11:48 p.m. Monday in the area of U.S. 33 and C.R. 13.