THE GOSHEN NEWS
Several people were hurt in recent motor vehicle crashes responded to by local police:
• Two people were injured in a single-car crash Saturday on U.S. 6, east of C.R. 43. The crash occurred at 4:22 p.m. According to Elkhart County police, a 2003 Chevy Cavalier driven by Sean D. Hershberger, 20, Syracuse, struck a Northern Indiana Public Service Co. utility pole after the driver fell asleep. Hershberger woke up just before the car struck the pole, police said.
Two passengers were injured. Dustin M. Myers, 23, Pierceton, had a broken left femur as a result of the crash and Braska S. Cartwright, 20, Pierceton, suffered a left ankle injury, neck and back pain and right leg bruising.
• A two-vehicle collision at U.S. 6 and Ind. 13 injured two people around 11:45 a.m. Tuesday.
Elkhart County police said a 2002 Town & Country driven by Jose L. Luna Jr., 30, Ligonier, collided with a 2008 Freightliner driven by Kenneth Thomas, 41, St. Jones, Mich.
Luna had a minor cut on his left arm as a result of the crash. A passenger in the Luna vehicle, Rosa Lopez, 61, Ligonier, had a minor cut on her chin. Both refused medical treatment.
Police said Luna was cited for disregarding a stop sign and driving while never receiving a driver’s license.
• A two-vehicle crash injured two people shortly before 2 a.m. Tuesday at the intersection of Lincoln Avenue and Third Street in Goshen.
Goshen police said a 2003 Dodge Neon driven by Cassandra Cook, 20, Goshen, collided with a 2009 Yamaha Scooter operated by Alexandra Garman, 18, Goshen. Garman suffered a head injury, according to police, and a passenger on the scooter, Chelsea Rodriguez, 19, Goshen, suffered pain to her entire body.
Police were told that Garman was unconscious and having a seizure prior to the arrival of emergency personnel. According to police who questioned her after the collision, Garman had no knowledge of being involved in a crash.
• Two people were hurt in a two-vehicle crash around 7:35 a.m. Thursday at the intersection of Plymouth Avenue and 15th Street in Goshen.
Goshen police said a 1994 Saturn SL driven by Logan Swartzendruber, 16, Goshen, collided with a 2006 Dodge Ram pickup truck driven by Zechariah W. Farmwald, 19, Goshen.
Two passengers in the Swartzendruber vehicle were hurt in the collision. Madison Swartzendruber, 13, Goshen, suffered neck pain and Michaela Swartzendruber, 10, Goshen, had abdominal pain.
• A mo-ped rider was hurt in a crash around 1:47 a.m. Saturday in the area of Ind. 15 and Kenwood Place in Goshen.
Goshen police said Roger B. McCormick, 47, Goshen, was riding a mo-ped that struck a curb and crashed. McCormick suffered head pain and was transported to IU Health Goshen Hospital.
• Employees at Thompson’s Towing, 1407 Chicago Ave., Goshen, told Goshen police someone tried to gain access to the property by knocking over a fence Saturday afternoon.
• Goshen police were contacted by Hoosier Lottery officials Sunday regarding someone trying to cash tickets stolen in an Elkhart robbery Saturday. That individual left the Marathon convenience store at 501 E. Madison St. before police arrived.
• Douglas Kauffman, 67967 C.R. 21, New Paris, told Elkhart County police someone stole three of his vehicles at his residence May 16. The accused thief reportedly went back to the residence to steal more property and was located. The incident is under investigation.
• Brian Riggle, 19022 Fourth St., New Paris, told Elkhart County police someone entered his residence between 11 a.m. and 10:45 p.m. Sunday. Nothing was taken.
• Jennifer Baker, 5776 N. 1070 West, Shipshewana, told LaGrange County police someone stole a dryer and other items at her residence sometime May 16.
• A business owner told LaGrange County police someone stole currency from a cash box at 11900 W. 400 South, Honeyville, sometime Thursday or Friday.
• Bruce A. Davis, 601 W. Wilkinson Apt. 3, Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole items from his residence Monday.
• Raul Perez-Martinez, Bristol, told Elkhart County police he dropped his wallet outside the BP Gas Station in the 22000 block of Ind. 120, Bristol, at 1:30 p.m. Saturday. Perez-Martinez said someone later took the wallet.
• Staff at Heritage Intermediate School, Middlebury, told Elkhart County police a 10-year-old male student took another student’s iPod at 8 a.m. Friday. The iPod was recovered and returned to the owner, police said.
• Elkhart County police said a trailer containing camping equipment belonging to the Boy Scouts of America Troop 12, 19701 C.R. 46, New Paris, was stolen. The theft occurred between 9 a.m. May 14 and 10 a.m. Saturday.
• Evelyn Nettrouer of New Paris told Elkhart County police someone fraudulently used her debit card on two purchases sometime May 15.
• Michael Kock of Middlebury told Elkhart County police someone made $213.40 in unauthorized withdrawals from his banking account sometime Friday.
• Steven Bolock of Syracuse reported to Elkhart County police the loss of $2,105 in a fraudulent Internet sale sometime Friday.
• Jason Soto of Columbia City told Goshen police Monday that someone stole his identity, and the person who stole it was reported to be working at a factory in Goshen.
• Kenneth Hull of Goshen told Goshen police someone made unauthorized purchases from his checking account Monday.
• Porifirio Olvera, Bristol, told Goshen police Monday that someone used his identity to gain employment Jan. 1, 2012.
• Ryan Hendershott of Goshen told Goshen police someone made several fraudulent withdrawals to his credit union account around midnight Saturday.
• Debra K. Williams, 65623 Buttercup Ave., Goshen, told Elkhart County police someone threw raw eggs on and into her 2009 Toyota Corolla while she was driving on Greene Road around 11:30 p.m. March 23.
• Nicholas Thrasher, 210 E. Lincoln Ave., Goshen, told Goshen police someone punctured tires on his vehicle Sunday or Monday.
• Wayne Bontrager, Goshen, told Goshen police someone damaged several vehicles on the lot and took fuel from tanks at Meadowlark Cars, 102 Middlebury St., Goshen, sometime May 10.
• A 16-year-old boy was arrested by Goshen police on charges of resisting law enforcement and being a runaway and incorrigible. The youth failed to stop when told to do so by a police officer in the 200 block of Crescent Street at 3:13 p.m. Monday. He was taken to the Elkhart County Juvenile Detention Center pending a detention hearing.
• A woman in the 100 block of South Eighth Street in Goshen told Goshen police a male entered her residence and refused to leave at 3:16 a.m. Tuesday. Police arrested Cesar Mendoza, 38, Goshen, on a charge of residential entry and transported him to the Elkhart County jail.
• John Yoder, 63, Milford, was arrested by Elkhart police near Sixth and West Marion streets in Elkhart the night of May 15 on a charge of public intoxication.
• Rolando Colon, 37, 625 Concord Ave., Elkhart, was arrested by Goshen police Monday on a charge of manufacturing methamphetamine and possession of methamphetamine. Colon was arrested after a traffic stop in the 3800 block of Midway Road in Goshen at 9:49 a.m. Monday. Colon was incarcerated at the Elkhart County jail.
The following motorists were recently arrested on charges of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated:
• Rolando Torres-Casto, 49, 426 N. First St., Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police after a traffic stop near the intersection of North Third and Pike streets at 10:03 p.m. Sunday.
• Austin M. Stout, 18, 29610 C.R. 28, Elkhart, was arrested by Goshen police after a traffic stop at Third and Clinton streets at 12:51 a.m. Monday.
• Joseph Elliott, 22, 416 Oatfield Lane, Goshen, was arrested by Elkhart County police after a traffic stop in the area of C.R. 45 and C.R. 13 at 2:27 a.m. Saturday.
• Salvador Rodriguez-Garcia, 30, 436 Brookside Manor, Goshen, was arrested by Elkhart County police after a traffic stop on C.R. 17, south of C.R. 28 in Goshen at 2:42 a.m. Saturday. In addition to the OWI charge, he was arrested on a charge of driving while never receiving a valid driver’s license.
• Michael Hartz, 41, 623 W. Sixth St., Rochester, was arrested after Elkhart County police investigated a report of a suspicious vehicle at the Benton Park on C.R. 31, north of C.R. 46, around 11:17 p.m. Saturday.
• Joseph Cassel, 37, 115 E. Elm St., Millersburg, was arrested by Goshen police after a traffic stop in the 800 block of Logan Street at 6:44 p.m. Monday.