THE GOSHEN NEWS
The Middlebury Police Department has received complaints from local residents of a scam that is being done in the area. Residents receive a call from an individual who identifies himself from Publishers Clearing House. He advises the resident that they have won a luxury car and $800,000 in cash.
To claim their prize they need to obtain $950 in pre-paid Visa cards and the individual will contact them to get the numbers off of the cards police said
They are told once the Publishers Clearing House has received the pre-paid card numbers the resident will then receive their prizes. The caller is giving out the correct address and phone number to Publishers Clearing House, however after contacting Publishers Clearing House, police advise this is a scam and are actively investigating the matter themselves.
Ira Hartman, Goshen, told Goshen police someone tried to scam money from him from Publishers Clearing House at 9 a.m. Thursday.
A New Paris woman was injured in a two-car crash Thursday on C.R. 46 and Ind. 15 in Goshen. The collision occurred at 4:28 p.m. Elkhart County police said a 2003 Dodge Stratus driven by Greg Miller, 20, New Paris, failed to yield the right of way and struck the 1998 Honda Accord driven by Doris Keyser, 71, New Paris. Keyser was transported to IU Health Goshen Hospital for complaint of left arm and left hip pain. Miller was ticketed for failure to yield the right of way.
• Robert Chupp reported a fire to Elkhart County police at RC Recycling, 67895 C.R. 23, New Paris, at 7 p.m. Sunday. Chupp told police the fire was allegedly set.
• Several mailbox fires were reported to Elkhart County police by drivers on C.R. 8, C.R. 12 and C.R. 35 in Middlebury at 1:02 a.m. Friday. Police said the fires were allegedly set to pietistic mailboxes.
• Todd Rothi, Bristol, told Elkhart County police that Discover contacted him about a credit application that had been recently completed in his name at 8:59 p.m. Wednesday. Rothi told police he had never completed an application with Discover.
• Kenneth Wallace, Park Ridge, Ill., reported to Goshen police a forgery/counterfeiting of a personal check in Goshen sometime April 29.
• Jacqueline Lakey, Goshen, told Goshen police someone made fraudulent charges on her credit card at 5:46 p.m. Monday.
• Shirley M. Baird, 1104 S. Twelfth St., Goshen, told Goshen police someone damaged her mailbox around 11 a.m. Thursday.
Battery/domestic violence reports and arrests
• A staff member at Bashor Children’s Home Alternative School, 62226 C.R. 15, Goshen, told Elkhart County police a 13-year-old male student intentionally touched her breast at 1:45 p.m. Tuesday. The student also grabbed a female student intern at the school.
• An Elkhart parent told Elkhart County police someone had been harassing his juvenile daughter for the past six weeks, which led to a fight incident at Concord High School, 59117 Minuteman Way, Elkhart, around noon Wednesday.
• Christopher Curtis, 33, 254 Brookside Manor, Elkhart, was arrested by Elkhart County police on a charge of domestic violence at 7:15 p.m. Wednesday. He was incarcerated at the Elkhart County jail.
• A Middlebury resident told Elkhart County police people entered her property after being advised not to and pushed her, then pushed, kicked and punched another victim and knocked the phone away when they tried to call 911 at 4 p.m. Tuesday. According to police, the individuals knew each other.
• A Goshen resident told Elkhart County police of being battered with fists and baseball bat by two persons in the roadway at C.R. 21 and S. County Line Road, Goshen at 11:30 p.m. Thursday. The individual sustained lacerations to his nose and head and injury to his ear and face. He was transported to IU Health Goshen Hospital for medical treatment and police are investigating the incident.
• Charles Johnson, 53, 287 Brookside Manor, Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police on a warrant through Elkhart City Court after a domestic argument at 6:37 a.m. Thursday.
• An employee at Oaklawn, 330 Lakeview Drive, Goshen, told Goshen police of being battered by a juvenile while working at 3:32 p.m. Thursday.
• Travis E. Lester, 34, 306 Birdee Blvd., Bristol, was stopped by Goshen police in the 4000 block of Elkhart Road in Goshen at 2:50 p.m. Wednesday. He was arrested on a charge of a habitual traffic violator and transported to the Elkhart County jail.
Drug/alcohol reports and arrests
• The Elkhart County police seized more than 30 grams of marijuana from Alejandro Gonzales, 2932 Elkhart Road, Apt. 204, Goshen at 10 a.m. Tuesday. According to police, this case has been forwarded to the prosecutor’s office for review.
• Brandon Bell, 27, 1806 Amsie Drive, Elkhart, was arrested by Elkhart County police on a charge of driving with a suspended license during a traffic stop at C.R. 11 and C.R. 52 in Nappanee at 4:35 p.m. Thursday. He was incarcerated at the county jail.
• Robert Lung Jr., 38, 1625 Stevens Ave., Elkhart, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of possession of methamphetamine and possession of paraphernalia in the 400 block of N. Fifth St., Goshen, at 11:37 p.m. Thursday. Lung was transported to the Elkhart County jail.
• Juan Pineda-Fuentes, 25, 1110 Tramore Circle, Goshen, was stopped for traffic violations by Elkhart County police in the area of C.R. 38, east of C.R. 21 in Goshen at 2:47 a.m. May 11. He was arrested on a charge of driving under the influence and operating a vehicle without a valid driver’s license and was incarcerated at the Elkhart County jail.
• Ashley N. Erhardt, 24, 57223 Horseshoe Court, Goshen, was arrested by Elkhart County police on a charge of driving under the influence during a traffic stop on C.R. 18, east of C.R. 13 in Elkhart at 1:14 a.m. May 12. She was incarcerated at the Elkhart County jail.
• Johnny Hurley, 42, 18752 C.R. 20, Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of operating a vehicle while intoxicated during a traffic stop in the 100 block of S. Eighth St., Goshen, at 8:15 p.m. Tuesday. Hurley was transported to the Elkhart County jail.
• Matt Hamby, 29, 24735 C.R. 45, Elkhart, was arrested by Elkhart County police on a charge of driving under the influence after a traffic stop at Hively and Prairie streets in Elkhart at 6:45 p.m. Tuesday. He was incarcerated at the Elkhart County jail. The passenger, Lisa Collins, 29, 54865 C.R. 3, Elkhart, was incarcerated at the Elkhart County jail on a local warrant.
• Douglas L. Cuney, 45, 1241 U.S. Hwy 6, Wawaka, was arrested by Elkhart County police on a charge of driving under the influence after being stopped for running a red light at Madison and Main streets in Goshen at 7:15 p.m. Wednesday. He was incarcerated at the Elkhart County jail.
• Billy B. Miller, 24, 13095 C.R. 10, Middlebury, was arrested by Elkhart County police on a charge of driving under the influence during a traffic stop at C.R. 35, south of C.R. 12 in Middlebury at 1:45 a.m. Friday. He was incarcerated at the Elkhart County jail.