THE GOSHEN NEWS
A Middlebury man has pleaded guilty to reckless homicide in Elkhart Circuit Court.
Larry Hewitt, 43, 52940 York Hills Drive, agreed Thursday to a plea agreement that sets a sentence at 6 1/2 years in prison on the Class C felony charge. He admitted to killing Charles Wolfinger, 53, Mishawaka, July 17 in Elkhart during a fight. Wolfinger’s body was found in the Elkhart River.
Hewitt was also charged with involuntary manslaughter, but that charge was dismissed as part of the agreement.
Sentencing was set for May 23.
Goshen Little League park robber sentenced
A Goshen man was sentenced Thursday for his role in an armed robbery of another Goshen man at the Little League park in September 2012.
Isidro Hernandez III was sentenced to two years in prison, with one year suspended and one year on probation, on a charge of theft. The same sentence was applied to a second charge of assisting a criminal. The sentences will be served at the same time.
Goshen police arrested Hernandez shortly after the robbery and also arrested his co-defendant Paul M. Garcia, 22, Elkhart.
Also, in Superior Court 2, the Elkhart County Prosecutor’s Office reports Jayzahn Creel II, 20, and Earl Hogan Jr., 20, both of Elkhart, were sentenced on charges of burglary while armed with a deadly weapon and two counts of robbery while armed with a deadly weapon and a count of criminal related to a July 12, 2012 home invasion in Elkhart.
Creel received a sentence of 52 years, 35 years of which must be served in prison and 17 years served on probation.
Hogan received a 60-year sentence, 38 years of which must be served in prison and 22 years on probation.
• Elkhart County police received a report that a juvenile male took $20 from a cash register in the library of Northridge High School, 56779 Northridge Drive, Middlebury, between 2:10 and 3:30 p.m. Wednesday.
• Petri Jaakkonen, Ruutana, Finland, told Goshen police someone stole his cell phone at 1 p.m. Wednesday while at 1201 S. Eisenhower Drive, Goshen.
• Lorenza Romero, 38, 23523 River Lane Blvd., Elkhart, was arrested by Goshen police at 9:56 a.m. Thursday while at Meijer, 4522 Elkhart Road, Goshen, on a charge of theft. She was booked into the county jail.
• A Courtyard of Goshen employee told Goshen police a resident had several items stolen at approximately midnight Monday.
• Dexter O’Bryant, Goshen, told Goshen police his debit card number is being used by someone without his authorization living in Springfield, Ohio.
• Codi L. Johnson, 30130 Tower Road, Elkhart, was arrested by Goshen police at 2:15 p.m. Thursday while at Meijer, 4522 Elkhart Road, Goshen, on a charge of theft. He was booked into the county jail.
• Samantha Hernandez, Middlebury, told Goshen police her purse, wallet and keys were stolen while she was working at Chili’s Restaurant, 4018 Elkhart Road, Goshen, at 5 p.m. Tuesday.
• Kathy Stepney, Goshen, told Goshen police several items were stolen from her vehicle while it was parked at 712 S. Green Road, Goshen, at approximately 5 p.m. Wednesday.
Vandalism/criminal mischief reports
• Elkhart County police received a report that an overhead door at the New Paris Car Wash, 68310-2 Ind. 15, New Paris, was damaged between 5 p.m. Monday and 12:14 p.m. Thursday.
• An employee of Chandler Elementary School, 419 S. Eighth St., Goshen, told Goshen police someone damaged a metal table at the school at 6:55 a.m. Thursday.
• A juvenile male was arrested by Goshen police at 1:12 a.m. Friday in the 1200 block of Lincolnway East, Goshen, on charges of resisting law enforcement and operating a motor vehicle while never having received a driver’s license.
• Ryan Hoff, 25, 18368 C.R. 42, Goshen, was arrested by Elkhart County police at 3:51 a.m. Thursday on Bristol Street, just west of Osolo Road in Elkhart, on a charge of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated. He was booked into the county jail.