Driver hurt in crash
A driver was injured in a Middlebury collision between car and a horse and buggy Monday.
The crash occurred shortly before 8 a.m. at U.S. 20 and C.R. 22 (Orpha Drive). Middlebury police said a horse and buggy operated by David Mast of Middlebury was headed south and a 2008 Impala driven by Christine Vantubberger of Elkhart was headed east on U.S. 20.
Police said the horse and buggy traveled into the intersection against the red light and collided with the driver’s side of the Impala.
Vantubberger suffered facial injuries from broken glass. Mast was unhurt.
The horse had to be put down because of its injuries, according to police.
Man jailed for alleged scam
A Florida man is in jail in Orlando, Fla., after allegedly scamming a local Kosciusko County resident.
According to Kosciusko County police, officers with the Kosciusko County Sheriff’s Department and various Florida law enforcement agencies raided the home of Derick Cordero, 32, Orlando, Fla., last Thursday after completing an investigation that originated in Warsaw.
The Kosciusko County Sheriff’s Department initially became involved with the case when Martha Mikel, Nappanee, came to the sheriff’s department to report a scam. Mikel had reportedly been contacted by Cordero, who allegedly persuaded her into paying over $4,000 in fraudulent closing fees for a time-share property located in Kissimmee, Fla.
Kosciusko County Sheriff’s Department detectives were reportedly able to track Mikel’s payment to a mailbox in Beverly Hills, Calif. The payment was then forwarded to Orlando, Fla., where subpoenaed records revealed Cordero’s signature on the cashed check.
Cordero’s home was put under surveillance by Florida law enforcement, during which undercover officers observed Cordero conduct a drug transaction at his residence. After serving a search warrant for the home, police reportedly discovered approximately $30,000 in packaged marijuana.
Cordero was taken into custody and is being held on a felony charge of possession of cannabis with intent to sell or deliver. Cordero also has a felony warrant for theft/fraud through Kosciusko County connected to the Mikel incident.
Elkhart County police reported that inmates Travis Smith, 19, and Matthew Powell, 23, escaped from the county Work Release Center around 12:49 a.m. Sunday. Police said Smith and Powell forced open an exit door and fled on foot.
• Christopher L. Wilson told Elkhart County police Friday his payroll check for $768.82 was stolen in the 51000 block of Greenfield Parkway, Middlebury. Wilson said the check was cashed at a nearby gas station around 2 a.m. that day.
• Shellie A. Steffen, 27, C.R. 21, Goshen, told Elkhart County police told Elkhart County police someone stole her credit card and used the number to obtain $1,500 worth of merchandise Jan. 29.
• A Goshen man told Goshen police someone was in his residence, located in the 600 block of Noelwood Drive, Goshen, when he returned home from work at 10:52 p.m. Monday. The individual reportedly ran off when the homeowner entered his residence.
• Ominee S. Haynes, Elkhart, told Goshen police her billfold was stolen while she was working at Meijer, 4522 Elkhart Road, Goshen, at 2 a.m. Tuesday.
The following motorists were recently arrested on charges of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated:
• Haley Greiner, 19, 22017 C.R. 45, Goshen, was arrested by Elkhart County police after a traffic stop at 6:24 a.m. Saturday on C.R. 17 north of Ind. 119, Goshen. In addition to the OWI charge, Greiner was also arrested on a charge of illegal consumption of an alcoholic beverage.
• Keith Emory, 40, 636 S. Wildflower, Bristol, was arrested by Elkhart County police after a traffic stop around 9:45 p.m. Sunday on C.R. 6 east of Cumberland Avenue in Elkhart.
• Donald N. Stolz, 40, 54524 Ind. 13, Middlebury, was arrested by Elkhart County police after a traffic stop at 12:48 a.m. Monday at Bristol and Baldwin streets in Elkhart.
Around 11:48 p.m. Friday, Elkhart County police went to the scene of an automobile crash in the parking lot of 18541 U.S. 20, Bristol. Police said the driver of the vehicle, a 34-year-old woman, was intoxicated and said she attempted to kill herself. The driver was taken to IU Health Goshen Hospital for a psychological evaluation.
• Israel Acosta, 38, 517 S. Main St., was arrested by Goshen police at his home Sunday afternoon on a charge of domestic battery in the presence of a child younger than age 16. Acosta was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail.
• An employee of Bashor Children’s Home, 62226 C.R. 15, Goshen, told Elkhart County police that a juvenile male put another juvenile male in a choke hold at 2 p.m. Monday. The victim of the battery and strangulation reportedly did not require medical attention.
• Helga E. Patcheak, 2113 Cambridge Drive, Goshen, told Goshen police a ceramic doll located on her porch was damaged at approximately midnight Saturday.
• Ronald Sherck, 55119 C.R. 31, Bristol, told Elkhart County police someone put two nails in the tires of his vehicle and poured an unknown substance into the fuel tank at 3:54 p.m. Sunday while it was parked at his residence.
No trespass order
• A manager of Burger King, 2115 Lincolnway E., Goshen, called Goshen police at 8:07 a.m. Monday to report an angry customer who threw his food across the counter. Police arrived and spoke to the customer, who was advised that Burger King had banned him from the premises permanently.
• Derrick Smith, 55, of Pike Street, Goshen, was arrested by Elkhart County police after a traffic stop at 8:30 p.m. Friday at Kreighbaum Street and Moore Avenue in Elkhart. Police said Smith was driving while his license privileges were suspended. He was incarcerated in the Elkhart County jail.
• John Sheets, 32, 12301 Day Road, Mishawaka, was arrested by Goshen police at 5:29 p.m. Monday in the 200 block of Kercher Road, Goshen, on a charge of driving a motor vehicle with a suspended driver’s license following a property damage accident. He was released on a memorandum to appear in court.
• William Middleditch, 21, 18867 Wilderness Drive, Goshen, was arrested by Goshen police on a charge of possession of marijuana after a traffic stop around 5:24 p.m. Sunday in the 1800 block of Lincolnway East. Middleditch was released on a promise to appear in court.
Driver hurt in crash
- Police News
- LaGrange man airlifted from scene of crash A motorcyclist was seriously injured in a crash at Ind. 13 and C.R. 34 at 1:48 p.m. Tuesday. Terry Fry, 44, LaGrange, was airlifted by MedFlight from the scene. Elkhart County police said he was taken to South Bend Memorial Hospital with fractures to
Suspicious blinking package with battery pack causes police to evacuate business area
A package with a battery pack and a blinking red light found on the desk of an employee at MSC, 28551 Laura Court, Elkhart, caused police and firefighters to evacuate the area this morning.
The package turned out to be a GPS tracking device and not a bomb.
Cat beaten to death in burglary
A house cat was found beaten to death following a burglary at a home in Howe Sunday.
Fiery crash kills one, critically injures two in North Webster
A fiery crash in North Webster left a Pennsylvania man dead and two others critically injured at 3:21 p.m. Sunday on Ind. 13, near Esterbrook Drive.
- Police looking for armed robbery suspect The Elkhart County Sheriff’s Department is asking the public for information related to an attempted armed robbery at the Red D Mart at 68310 Ind. 15, in New Paris Saturday.According to police, at approximately 9:13 a.m. a white male approximately 20
- Work release inmate being sought Elkhart County police filed a report Thursday indicating Matthew J. Balint, 20, failed to return to lawful custody at the work release center, 201 N. Cottage Ave., Goshen, at 4:04 p.m. July 9, and is now considered absent without leave.
- Handguns reported stolen from barn Troy Alexander Mueller of New Paris told Elkhart County police someone removed handguns from a pole barn located at 19902 C.R. 146 in New Paris between 1:30 a.m. Saturday and 4:30 a.m. Sunday.
- Elkhart motorcyclist dies from injuries Michael Nunez, 33, Elkhart, died at 8 p.m. Monday from injuries he sustained in a two-vehicle collision at C.R. 6 and C.R. 13 near Elkhart, according to Elkhart County police. The crash occurred at 7:45 p.m. Sunday.According to Elkhart County police,
- Motorcyclist dies from crash injuries
- POLICE NEWS: July 14, 2014 David Carranza, 420 Johnston St., Goshen, told Goshen police someone stole money from his unlocked vehicle while it was parked at his residence at 11 p.m. Friday.
- More Police News Headlines